Rolls-Royce

Rolls-Royce Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Rolls-Royce CEO John Rishton

John Rishton

Pros
  • There are very flexible working conditions (excellent work/life balance) and extensive training available(in 28 reviews)

• There are also good benefits and initiatives to recognize good worker(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Culture is not suitable for anyone who believes in work-life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Senior management tend to secure their roles through experience rather than skill(in 11 reviews)

Mechanical Engineer

Design Engineer (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsInteresting products for design engineers

ConsToo much bad politics. Management seems to focus on negatives and ignore the positive contributions. Have seen instances of incorrect information being passed through to hiring managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management out-of-touch. Still mentally in the 1980s GM mode.

A company that cares for its workers

Engineer (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsAs an engineer at Rolls-Royce, your job role may range from a highly technical role (fluid systems analyst) to report writing. In any role, however, you are guaranteed to be constantly learning. The Indianapolis campus produces several of its own engines, designed by the former Allison Engine Company (bought out by Rolls-Royce in the mid 90's). However, the Indianapolis team is in the process of becoming more globally-oriented. Therefore, depending on your role, you may work, to varying degrees, using the British, American, or German design process. This provides good opportunities for not just technical learning but also process and intercultural learning. The company invests a large amount in R&D, making it

ConsThe company is slow to adopt change in software and functions quite bureaucratically. These factors are understandable and typical of large corporations, but can have a significant effect on work efficiency.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider ways to act more efficiently with respect to development work

Respects the individual

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsPositive feedback from supervisor and opportunity to grow. Opinions are resPected. They are not a youth oriented company and experience is valued.

ConsPoor IT structure. 10 years behind the time. Too much bueracracy slows down decision making.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall good

ProsThere are managers that care about their people. If you find one of these managers, you will do well and have opportunities to advance.

ConsAs with most large global companies, it is hard to get buy-in to your process improvements because others believe they know best.

Professional workplace

Inspection (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsRolls-Royce offers very good pay and benefits packages to their employees.

ConsAt time you may feel a lack of notice for your hard work which is sometimes common in a company this large.

Advice to Senior Managementwork more on finding solutions

Technical Program Manager

Technical Program Manager (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsSalary and benefits are good. Pay raise and bonus nearly every year. Generally not much OT. High level of job security.

ConsDifficult to get tasks complete. If you enter the proper request to get a purchase order or have an invoice paid it is most likely to not get done unless you follow up numerous times. The systems are a generally broken. Too many road blocks to work around. Generally poor management. If you find a good manager, stick with them.

Depending on your role; interaction with the British can be painful.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your employees. Assist them in breaking down road blocks.

Purchasing Exec

Purchasing Executive (Current Employee) Mount Vernon, OH

ProsNice place to work and a lot of transformation efforts. Located in a small town... Really nice city if you love small towns.

ConsToo much work sometimes but it is still a really interesting factory job. It is not exactly a job related with projects and new designs, as many support

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep with the transformation

Summer Program Management Intern

Intern for Program Management (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsRolls-Royce has a lot to offer in terms of career advancement and education if you want to take part in it. As an intern everyone was eager to help me progress, and I was enrolled in several educational courses to help me succeed. If you're dedicated it seems like you can move to a new position every 3 years or so. The facility was modern and impressive, and the people there enjoyed a nice balance of work and life. No one demanded crazy hours and work atmosphere was very relaxed, often discussions about family and sports would drag on for an hour or more.

ConsDespite being a high technology company (designing jet engines) their IT was really bad. They outsourced IT help to Poland, and are still on Windows XP. Their intranet obviously hasn't been updated in a decade.

Declining work environment.

ProsI cant think of any.

ConsThink friends and family politics.

Worked there 35 years on machines and Shipping/Packing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay and benefits except for new workers who get screwed.

ConsRetirees not allowed in any plant for any reason. Management shows no appreciation to any worker who gives more than 100% effort on their job. Need to cross train employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow appreciation for their workers

Worked for Rolls-Royce? Contribute to the Community!