Rolls-Royce Reviews in Derby, England

Updated September 15, 2014
3.4

Rolls-Royce CEO John Rishton
John Rishton

Pros
  • There are very flexible working conditions (excellent work/life balance) and extensive training available (in 28 reviews)

• There are also good benefits and initiatives to recognize good worker (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Culture is not suitable for anyone who believes in work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Senior management tend to secure their roles through experience rather than skill (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

74 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

One of the best aerospace companies in Europe

Current Employee - Systems Integration Engineer  in  Derby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Systems Integration Engineer in Derby, England (UK)

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Global, challenging, high-tech products, very international and multicultural, pride in Aero Engines, one site also in Berlin (great place to live), availability of trainings

Cons

Sometimes bureaucratic, engineering headquarters in Derby (extremely boring place), awful canteen, no attention to IT, still week at systems engineering (although improving), pension package for new recruits way worse than for older employees

Reward more high performers and those who take responsibilities and decisions, fix the IT

Great Company to work for, but big.

Former Employee - Engineering Manager  in  Derby, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Derby, England (UK)

I worked at Rolls-Royce full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

excellent career opportunities. In the grand scheme of the world, Rolls-Royce is very well run, professional company. If you put in the effort you will be recognised and the senior management are prepared to take a risk on people with high potential. Great products & world class engineering make for a stimulating work environment. Salary to cost of living ratio in Derby is very attractive.

Cons

Its a very large organisation, so real change takes a long long time. This is something true of all large organisations, but can be frustrating none the less. The product lifecycle is also very long, so it takes a whole career to see a jet engine through from concept to end of life.

The Darker Side of a Prestige Company

Current Employee - Advanced Practical Apprentice  in  Derby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Advanced Practical Apprentice in Derby, England (UK)

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

As Rolls Royce is a leading manufacturer it has a lot of new high end equipment. Pay for full time employees in shop floor positions and manufacturing engineer position can be good.There are a fair amount of good employee benefits suck as the cycle to work scheme, share save scheme etc.

Cons

The working environment is terrible in some places (sweltering/freezing/filthy etc.). There is far too much management and new layers are still being added even when there are not enough jobs for the apprentices they have taken on. Management is quite bad and quick to change. It's rare to find a manager who has been in their current position for long or who has progressed to manager directly from their last job role meaning a lot of training and changes just for them to move on again soon. the management is also not very proactive (especially when it comes to issuing pay rises or rate increases. There are not equal training opportunities for all the staff. contrary to what the company says, they only offer training to those who are already on a management/ manufacturing engineer path. This means shop floor staff have little chance of progression.

the benefits offered to employees are good and rewarding. a lot of managers need to be more proactive and in certain facilities management should be thinned out a bit. there needs to be more of a focus on making sure there are enough jobs for the apprentices. apprentices should be individually assessed and interview concerning whether or not they should be given funding for higher education rather than funding technical apprentices only. working conditions in certain factory facilities need a good look at before they become a health and safety nightmare.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

enjoyable

Former Employee - Intern  in  Derby, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Intern in Derby, England (UK)

I worked at Rolls-Royce part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly people, good learning environment, opportunity to travel and has the possibility to see end product

Cons

promotion can be difficult, according to more senior employees

incentives to encourage employees

A great start to working life

Current Employee - Apprentice  in  Derby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Apprentice in Derby, England (UK)

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time for more than a year

Pros

If Rolls-Royce are going to do something, they make sure they do it properly. It's amazing to see how one simple idea can develop into something truly amazing.

Cons

Personally i feel very small in the company, i don't feel very significant at all. I find that though they work on it a lot to mix the shop floor workers with the likes of managers and office workers, most people from the office and shop floor do not get along. Sometimes i think it is the stubbornness of the shop floor workers, and sometimes it is the office workers and managers thinking they are better than shop floor workers.

See things from a shop floor point of view

Stable, good, but.....

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Derby, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Engineer in Derby, England (UK)

I worked at Rolls-Royce full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable work environment (lots of 25 year-ers) there. Interesting engineering challenges.
    Great colleagues
    Impressive memorabilia from the shop
    Good brand from the CV when you get out of there

Cons

-No experience outside R-R counts
    -Stupid cost reductions
    -Old age mentality
    -Bureaucratic
    -Stupid career structure......Experience is valued more than actual capability
    -Management talk is more appreciated than truth. Wooly soft words where accuracy is needed
    -Politics even in technical matters
    -Agile workplace? The way to cram more people in the same room? Giant Open space? How can someone concentrate there?

Resign.....Literally resign....R-R is an engineering company not a bank......Let R-R become an engineering company governed by an engineer....Preserve the brand plese

Professional through and through

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer  in  Derby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Derby, England (UK)

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You're encouraged to put your ideas across, they treat you like and adult

Cons

I have not found any yet

Non, just keep doing what you're doing, it works

Energy division is working diligenlty to adopt current best operating pracitces

Current Employee - Stress Analysis Engineer  in  Derby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Stress Analysis Engineer in Derby, England (UK)

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time for more than a year

Pros

Higher than average pay, great career growth

Cons

Large corporation that has the usual cumbersome policies that make chance difficult.

Rolls-Royce is an engaging company that promotes learning and job satisfaction.

Current Employee - Design Engineer  in  Derby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Derby, England (UK)

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good training, great benefits (pension, life insurance). Friendly people, everybody is willing to say hello or help you out. Great work life balance. Easy to keep commitments in and out of work.

Cons

High workload sometimes, there are a lot of challenging projects and maybe not enough resource to complete/fund them.

Start thinking more about up front work to make later stages of a program easier. Eg a movements survey would prevent several mods...

my time so far at RR

Current Employee - Technical Apprentice  in  Derby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Apprentice in Derby, England (UK)

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had the opportunity to do a placement for two weeks in Germany which I really enjoyed.
    The management have approved my sponsorship for a foundation degree to broaden my career.
    I like the idea of flexi-time.
    I appreciate work backing me with my hospital visits as I am on a 10 year watch.

Cons

Where ever I have worked the attitude seems to be reactive and not proactive which then creates unnecessary stress.
    Sometimes it takes too long to get a decision/answer off someone.
    Some of the jobs feel like administration rather than engineering.

Make the effort with apprentices, talk to us, we are here to learn.
    Sometimes it feel like the hierarchy gets the better of some people.

Worked for Rolls-Royce? Contribute to the Community!