Rolls-Royce

Updated December 7, 2014
3.5

Rolls-Royce CEO John Rishton
John Rishton

Pros
  • Good work life balance possible and some very paternal (if outdated) HR policies (in 33 reviews)

• There are also good benefits and initiatives to recognize good worker (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Culture is not suitable for anyone who believes in work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Senior management tend to secure their roles through experience rather than skill (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

78 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great heritage

Current Employee - Program Manager in Derby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Derby, England (UK)

I have been working at Rolls-Royce

Pros

Friendly and supportive environment
    Excellent products and technology
    Further learning

Cons

Archaic
    Political
    Too Bureaucratic

Listen to your employees and think strategically

Great development opportunities. The culture is improving. Friendly and welcoming employees

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Derby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Derby, England (UK)

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get back what you put in - if you make an effort and show willing you will be given endless opportunities to develop and succeed. The pay for trainees is average, but full time work is extremely well rewarded. There is an understanding that money is not the only motivator. There is a huge sense of pride within the company of all that is achieved.

Cons

The well established culture is sometimes a barrier to change, but this is improving. Minimal diversity in terms of gender but definitely welcoming to all genders and backgrounds.

Take the time to communicate everything to your staff. Don't allow the divide between staff and management continue. Take 5 minutes to update people on the work you are doing, even if you think they won't be interested. Being transparent is how we will move forward untited.

A 2 month review.

Current Employee - Higher Manufacturing Apprentice in Derby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Higher Manufacturing Apprentice in Derby, England (UK)

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The facilities at Rolls-Royce are, as you'd expect, phenominal. In the first 2 months I have been trained on CNC milling, manual milling, attended college (foundation degree) twice and i'm about to take a weeks holiday. The environment is one of trust and responsibility, but also one full of experienced characters who are all so keen to help. As a higher, I have been given my own laptop and although it only works on site (for security reasons) It is still incredibly humbling and useful. Despite the company is currently at a low point as the CEO, John Rishton, has announced a short fall in profit. That said, spirits are high and attitude is exceptional as ever.

Cons

I feel there is a lack of leadership. We have to figure our own problems out which is as expected. However, when the coolant tank needs emptying by site services and we are in week one of our job I feel it is a bit steep to make us faf around for 2 days trying to sort it out when we have got assessed tasks to be completing.

Though independance is an important quality in any aspect of life, you cannot learn to run if you havent yet walked. I feel like a little more guidance is needed for the first few steps, then we can do the rest.
    The lack of ADL made it increasingly stressful for the first few weeks, especially as mine was only declared 3 weeks ago, I know some people are still waiting to find out theirs. I feel this should be sorted before the apprenticeship start and an introduction to your ADL would have been useful on the induction day.
    It may be wise to sort something with Derby College in order for the laptops to work there. It would make completing college work at home much easier if we could have it all in one place. At the moment it is all fairly daunting - combined with the relocation, the work load from both Rolls-Royce and college.

Good company for a summer internship.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)

I worked at Rolls-Royce as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As well as working within the area I was assigned it was encouraged that interns seek out people from other parts of the company in order to learn more about the different areas within RR.
    - Supportive Team
    - Loads of Feedback
    - Interesting Projects

Cons

It can be difficult to pick up some of the more technical terms and processes during a 10-12 week internship which makes the first few weeks a little more challenging.

Rolls Royce, A summer internship

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Derby, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Derby, England (UK)

I worked at Rolls-Royce as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Once you've formed your relationships with the people that you need to undertake your work, work is easier.
    - There are enough people in the organisation to be able to find some that you're aligned to.
    - Lots of milestones to pass, which means a lot of cake to be had. RR people love cake. And Samosas.
    - Structured career progression.
    - £1500 returning intern bonus.
    - £2000 graduate signing on bonus.
    - Good graduate salary (£27500) for the engineering sector.

Cons

- Expect to spend 60% of your time forging these relationships or waiting around for people to be available to talk to you. This is inefficient and frustrating and you know there are a million and one ways in which you think you could make things better.
    - Derby isn't the centre of the universe.
    - Large, slow moving, bureaucracy - important given the safety criticality of the work, but not for everyone.

Don't lose good talent by letting them get the above image of the organisation.

Excellent people and technology, suffocating culture and management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are helpful friendly, the technical challenges are amazing

Cons

Dilapidated buildings, antiquated IT. unbelievable bureaucracy, lack of drive and hunger for business success, complacency

Stop running the company on rumors, cut out the hierarchy, remove the layers of resource planners, chiefs, heads, strategy groups, working groups. Make people accountable and responsible. Get out more of your bunkers and take talking to the front line seriously.

A lot of good points but some big frustrations

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great brand, genuine pride in working for the company from all staff. High payer and genuinely possible to have a job for life. Strong vision from board in terms of direction the company is going. Good work life balance possible and some very paternal (if outdated) HR policies

Cons

Poor benefits package. Can be lack of career progression. Sexist and berry our representation of women in senior roles. Terrible IT and internal purchasing department. Can be very old fashioned and risk averse.

One of the best aerospace companies in Europe

Current Employee - Systems Integration Engineer in Derby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Systems Integration Engineer in Derby, England (UK)

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Global, challenging, high-tech products, very international and multicultural, pride in Aero Engines, one site also in Berlin (great place to live), availability of trainings

Cons

Sometimes bureaucratic, engineering headquarters in Derby (extremely boring place), awful canteen, no attention to IT, still week at systems engineering (although improving), pension package for new recruits way worse than for older employees

Reward more high performers and those who take responsibilities and decisions, fix the IT

Great Company to work for, but big.

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Derby, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Derby, England (UK)

I worked at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

excellent career opportunities. In the grand scheme of the world, Rolls-Royce is very well run, professional company. If you put in the effort you will be recognised and the senior management are prepared to take a risk on people with high potential. Great products & world class engineering make for a stimulating work environment. Salary to cost of living ratio in Derby is very attractive.

Cons

Its a very large organisation, so real change takes a long long time. This is something true of all large organisations, but can be frustrating none the less. The product lifecycle is also very long, so it takes a whole career to see a jet engine through from concept to end of life.

The Darker Side of a Prestige Company

Current Employee - Advanced Practical Apprentice in Derby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Advanced Practical Apprentice in Derby, England (UK)

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As Rolls Royce is a leading manufacturer it has a lot of new high end equipment. Pay for full time employees in shop floor positions and manufacturing engineer position can be good.There are a fair amount of good employee benefits suck as the cycle to work scheme, share save scheme etc.

Cons

The working environment is terrible in some places (sweltering/freezing/filthy etc.). There is far too much management and new layers are still being added even when there are not enough jobs for the apprentices they have taken on. Management is quite bad and quick to change. It's rare to find a manager who has been in their current position for long or who has progressed to manager directly from their last job role meaning a lot of training and changes just for them to move on again soon. the management is also not very proactive (especially when it comes to issuing pay rises or rate increases. There are not equal training opportunities for all the staff. contrary to what the company says, they only offer training to those who are already on a management/ manufacturing engineer path. This means shop floor staff have little chance of progression.

the benefits offered to employees are good and rewarding. a lot of managers need to be more proactive and in certain facilities management should be thinned out a bit. there needs to be more of a focus on making sure there are enough jobs for the apprentices. apprentices should be individually assessed and interview concerning whether or not they should be given funding for higher education rather than funding technical apprentices only. working conditions in certain factory facilities need a good look at before they become a health and safety nightmare.