Rolls-Royce

Rolls-Royce CEO John Rishton

John Rishton

75 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Job with reasonable expectations

Supply Chain (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsGood Benefits, decent opportunities for development (depending on your manager), pretty good people working in certain parts of the business, and an agile work environment downtown.

ConsSalary can seem to not be competitive for experience level at times, takes too long to affect real change that benefits the business, and some people have a distorted view of the business because they still expect unrealistic benefits in a competitive marketplace.

Very pleased with my Indianapolis Teams.

Executive (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsBright, energetic workforce in an agile environment.

ConsUK micromanagement is a challenge. Could utilize additional resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember we are all on the same Team.

I enjoyed my time at Rolls-Royce and hope to go back to work there.

CNN Layout Inspecter (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsThe pay and benefits are good. The Company treated good workers well. I was able to move to the Qaulity side and learn that side of the industry.

ConsNot being able to move to certain jobs because of Union rules. I was not happy with working an average of 55 hours a week up until the day I was laid off because of lack of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people in the plants. They are good workers who can contribute more than the company realizes.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great variety of work opportunities, but limited upward mobility and constant slow down of progress from the UK

Service Engineer (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

Pros- Really enjoyed my work, it was challenging
    - Not expected to work overtime and can make your own schedule - mine was 7 - 3:30
    - VERY nice brand new facility in Indianapolis, full of free coffee, tea and office supplies if you need them that are restocked. You can also park in the garage on weekends if you are downtown.

Cons- Same compensation for the industry, but NOT competitive and don't expect raises or good benefits
    - Have a normal curve for professional development meaning your manager has to put 5% or something of their people in the "needs improvement" category (or a 1/5) no matter how well everyone performs. You then get placed into this 'bucket' of poor performing employees just because that's what your manager has to do.
    - Constant frustration with TOO many acronyms, changes in corporate structure, waiting on other parts of the business to answer questions or communicate with you

Advice to Senior ManagementForm standardized processes between the company and increase pay and benefits. GET RID OF THE NORMAL CURVE RATINGS FOR EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE. Get rid of the older out of date products like old operating systems

Great people, but processes & policies need an overhaul

Engineering Manager (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsI love my coworkers - some truly smart and pleasant people to spend my workdays with. There's a lot of expertise in many disciplines. The Indy location has a reputation for figuring things out and getting things done, sometimes in spite of increasingly complex company procedures. The company has started a new "high performance culture" initiative that seems to be an honest attempt at setting a positive tone in the office. I think our new CEO, John Rishton, has great ideas for the company's direction, although he has an uphill battle to fight with the old guard.

ConsThe UK headquarters, Derby, still seems to think its ways are best for all company locations world-wide. They're wrong. Derby increases its micromanagement of the satellite facilities more each year, down to approving job openings for individual contributors. HR seems to be entirely old-school. We've had a forced distribution for appraisal scores for several years. GE, the pioneer of that idea, abandoned it a decade ago. For some reason HR thinks we can attract the best and brightest while paying industry average wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementBack off on the micromanagement. The various sites are run by smart people who can figure out what's best for that location. Being a global company doesn't mean Derby has it all figured out for everybody. Listen to Deming's advice and stop with the appraisal scores, particularly on a forced distribution. It's killing morale and doesn't fit with the "high performance culture".

Disappointing for a company who prides itself that its name is synonymous with quality

Finance (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsGood work life balance; some very good people; compensation pretty good for area but some positions need to be upskilled

ConsIT Systems very poor and poorly managed. Culture - Very political; management does not communicate well; lots of lay-offs since 2013 but poorly communicated and shared so employees left in the dark; UK tends to be very insular and does not know how to run a global company i.e. would schedule important meetings during Thanksgiving; poor sense of ownership and accountability

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees as adults and communicate both good news and bad news; break down barriers instead of promoting silo mentality

Manufacturing Supervisor

Manufacturing Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsGreat Pay. Plenty of paid overtime if supervising hourly (union) workforce. Great vacation benefits. All of the autonomy you want.

ConsWork you to death. No work-life balance. Career path planning is nonexistent. If you know the right folks and golf with them, then you'll be fine.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep running the business just they way you are now. I'll look at your resume in about a year and see if you fit my needs.

Potential New Hire

Indianapolis, IN

ProsWell known company regarding automobiles.

ConsNeed to throw out third party vendor that handles background review. Very poor! Makes too many errors.

Advice to Senior ManagementPoor human relation skills!

Rolls-Royce is a stable company that works on extraordinary products.

Design Engineer (Current Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsAs an engineer, Rolls-Royce develops fascinating products. Also, the work environment is for the most part positive and uplifting.

ConsIt takes a long time to make decisions and there are a lot of convoluted processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hate, delegate.

Great Internship Experience

Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
    Indianapolis, IN

ProsGreat working environment, tons of opportunity for young employees. Good benefits and compensation. Only reason I didn't return there full time upon graduation was family related and couldn't stay in Indianapolis.

ConsFor some people, it seems like there may be a lot of travel involved at times. Some people may look at this as a pro, but it's inconvenient for my home life. Compounding this is the potential for a lot of this travel to be international. Rolls has an open work environment which may rub some people the wrong way, but I think it creates a great team environment.

Worked for Rolls-Royce? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rolls-Royce reviews and ratings in Indianapolis, IN — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rolls-Royce CEO John Rishton. All 75 reviews posted anonymously by Rolls-Royce employees.