Rolls-Royce Motor Cars

Updated October 5, 2014
4.1

Torsten Müller-Ötvös

The essence of luxury

Former Employee - Intern Marketing in Chichester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Intern Marketing in Chichester, England (UK)

I worked at Rolls-Royce Motor Cars as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- the brand
    - production and central functions all in one building
    - the team
    - growing product portfolio means new challenges head
    - international work environment
    - open space building and natural environment

Cons

- far from any big city life, especially downpoint when you are young
    - for some only regarded as entry to BMW

- continue to produce the best car in the world

not quite the pinnacle in my experience

Former Employee - Rework in Chichester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Rework in Chichester, England (UK)

I worked at Rolls-Royce Motor Cars as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

they do look fantastic,but look closer.

Cons

would there be so many rave reviews if the customer knew how these were finished on the rework end of the line and just how many BMW stamped parts made up these cars, it is unacceptable to build £250000 and upwards,cars that need to be reworked with super glue, double sided tape and levering and hitting and prying the front end with a 3 foot long lever bar in an attempt to straighten out the poor panel fitment gaps, ghost and wraith, i was gobsmacked to see this,do it right first time on the line ,no excuses, its just not on, a very poor show indeed.

spend as long as it takes on the production line to get it right so you eliminate the antics that go on at the rework finesse end of the line, and sort out the tool trolleys,it looks like some one has emptied a tool box contents and left them strewn around the rework line,and one pair of panel pin pliers? really.

Rolls Royce, the Pinnacle of Motor Car manufacturing is a very rewarding place to work.

Current Employee - Assembly Associate in Chichester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assembly Associate in Chichester, England (UK)

I have been working at Rolls-Royce Motor Cars full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Its a great place to work as its at the very top of the motor industry. Knowing that I have involvement in making the finest cars in the world is the biggest pro. When I tell friends and family I work there I cannot help but smile. its a very fair place to work and I get to meet a huge variety of people from all walks of life. With so many diverse opportunities here its easy to find the right career path to take and be happy with.

Cons

Challenges include the fact we are building these cars completely by hand, no robotic input, So finessing the final product to achieve the desired perfect results is sometimes hard. its also sometimes difficult to have the correct work-life balance due to meeting customer demands at particular times of the year. Training could be a little better, training sometimes happens on the job which makes meeting deadlines difficult sometimes.

although our stand down time is there to follow the demands of our customers it can sometimes cause a bottleneck effect. It might be better to spread work load throughout the year a little more evenly so that we can ensure we are efficiently producing the best cars to the highest quality.

Great place to work , gain new skills and experience

Current Employee - Assembly Associate/Quality Inspector in Westhampnett, England (UK)

I have been working at Rolls-Royce Motor Cars full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Career opportunities.
    Excellent personal benefits like the pension schemes , bmw employee discounts , vehicle schemes
    Very good senior management, friendly and respectful to staff members
    Great teams of associates to work with.

Cons

The kiosk and canteen could be improved , especially the coffee :-)

Kiosk and canteen on the assembly line break times available ONLY for associates especially on 15 min tea breakes. Waiting in the cue behind office staff takes the a major part of the short break.

Great for experience, not so great for ambitions.

Former Employee - Intern in Chichester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Intern in Chichester, England (UK)

I worked at Rolls-Royce Motor Cars as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great heritage, brilliant product. One in a lifetime chance of being driven in one. Great multi-cultural environment. Very relaxed work life. Very scenic although quite rural location.

Cons

Dominant bureaucracy, changes are not accepted lightly, the design and engineering is outsourced to BMW, Germany. More is discussed rather than acted upon. Progression from graduate to middle-management position takes about 7-10 years and requires fluency in German. Very little support provided.

Great product, poor pay

Former Employee - IT Engineer
    Former Employee - IT Engineer

I worked at Rolls-Royce Motor Cars full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Inspiring place to work with associates who love the car.
    Factory and offices are lovely buildings and comfortable places to work.

Cons

Pay well below average as people just want to work here
    Few if any opportunities for progression as people generally stay for a long time.

Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Photos