Rolls-Royce Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
3.5

Rolls-Royce CEO John Rishton
John Rishton

Pros
  • Good work life balance possible and some very paternal (if outdated) HR policies (in 33 reviews)

• There are also good benefits and initiatives to recognize good worker (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Culture is not suitable for anyone who believes in work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Senior management tend to secure their roles through experience rather than skill (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Rolls Royce, A summer internship

Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Derby, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Derby, England (UK)

I worked at Rolls-Royce as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Once you've formed your relationships with the people that you need to undertake your work, work is easier.
    - There are enough people in the organisation to be able to find some that you're aligned to.
    - Lots of milestones to pass, which means a lot of cake to be had. RR people love cake. And Samosas.
    - Structured career progression.
    - £1500 returning intern bonus.
    - £2000 graduate signing on bonus.
    - Good graduate salary (£27500) for the engineering sector.

Cons

- Expect to spend 60% of your time forging these relationships or waiting around for people to be available to talk to you. This is inefficient and frustrating and you know there are a million and one ways in which you think you could make things better.
    - Derby isn't the centre of the universe.
    - Large, slow moving, bureaucracy - important given the safety criticality of the work, but not for everyone.

Don't lose good talent by letting them get the above image of the organisation.

Joined Customer Management Leadership programme, and working on my permanent role now.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good exposure to different sectors of business, good support and learning experience.

Cons

If you go to a business in the regions, you are away from Derby gang, and you lose your visibility, company does not have strong management of the employees in high performance pool out of UK. Highly political in decisions for promotions, and it standardise your skills rather than excell it for better performance.

RR is a big international brand but still not international enough, the mindset should be changed. It should be more delivery focused, and hire better people from the global market.

Internship in ATC EPAC

Former Employee - Research Intern in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Rolls-Royce as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Salary is good for an internship

Cons

The staff is quite busy with their own work. Have to pick up things on my own.

Treat the intern well in the area of coaching and supporting.

Excellent employees to work with, but management is clueless

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer, Senior Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer, Senior Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to work on exciting design projects with some very sharp people. The workers that do the work really care about what they do.

Cons

No real upward mobility for engineers, very little new design work just fixing problems with existing designs. The IT system is an abysmal mess.

The way to climb the corporate ladder is to make no waves which leads to a bunch of middle managers not making any decisions and frustrating those who need those decisions to be made.

Excellent people and technology, suffocating culture and management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are helpful friendly, the technical challenges are amazing

Cons

Dilapidated buildings, antiquated IT. unbelievable bureaucracy, lack of drive and hunger for business success, complacency

Stop running the company on rumors, cut out the hierarchy, remove the layers of resource planners, chiefs, heads, strategy groups, working groups. Make people accountable and responsible. Get out more of your bunkers and take talking to the front line seriously.

Leadership Graduate

Current Employee - Leadership Development Graduate
    Current Employee - Leadership Development Graduate

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Great opportunities to work in different business units across the group, within the UK and internationally
    - Laid back, friendly culture
    - Support for professional qualification - plenty of time off and you don't get fired for failing
    - above average starting salary
    - graduates are very active in social environment
    - Tax-free share plans

Cons

- Location - most jobs are in Derby, Warwick or Bristol.
    - Slow advancement - many people expect a certain level of experience before promotion to management position
    - no increment for reaching professional qualification
    - culture is not very dynamic - things move slowly and it is often very difficult to implement change
    - graduate scheme is well designed but not very well executed - some placements are good, some not so good. Have had placements where I felt like I was wasting my time because I was not given enough to do or given rather pointless work
    - those looking after grads seem to have their own agenda and not supportive when we look for placements outside of their 'prescribed' list
    - few opportunities to move into different functions
    - some office facilities are really old - don't expect brass and glass!

Be more invested in graduate development by doing the following:
    - taking more time to understand graduates' development needs, the challenges they face and mentor with a capital m
    - do not use graduates as a way to fill specific roles as this will cause a lot of dissatisfaction, unless you have clearly stated during recruitment that graduates are obliged to take on roles as assigned.
    - manage the placement managers - make sure the level of responsibilities, training and development given is high. Grads should be groomed to become future leaders, not used as temporary workers/resource augmentation.

Rolls-Royce Intern

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering Intern
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering Intern

I worked at Rolls-Royce as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent working environment. Good assessment structure and development opportunities.

Cons

I didn't find any faults with the internship experience. Perhaps a longer placement period would be good.

What a messed up place to work....

Former Employee - SQE's in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - SQE's in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Rolls-Royce as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great team members to work with

Cons

Extremely soloed. Hard to connect with the right people. IT is the worst I have ever seen. HR is worse. I came in as a contract SQE, was told if it worked, I could get full time. A year later, HR changed the min requirements for the job and told me I didn't qualify for the job I was already doing! Along with all the regular, full time SQE's that I worked with. When I left, I was told I had to give 2 weeks notice but rolls unceremoniously dumped me with no notice one week later.

Actually talk to the boots on the ground once in awhile?

Good company for a summer internship.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Derby, England (UK)

I worked at Rolls-Royce as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As well as working within the area I was assigned it was encouraged that interns seek out people from other parts of the company in order to learn more about the different areas within RR.
    - Supportive Team
    - Loads of Feedback
    - Interesting Projects

Cons

It can be difficult to pick up some of the more technical terms and processes during a 10-12 week internship which makes the first few weeks a little more challenging.

Fast-paced, action-oriented experience!

Current Employee - Continuous Improvement Intern in Lachine, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Continuous Improvement Intern in Lachine, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Rolls-Royce as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great team! Fast-paced and action driven. Fun to work with.
    Always work to do, but never the same work. You get assigned a variety of different tasks.
    You are treated like an employee and not like any typical intern. You get to see the effects of your work almost immediately.

Cons

Can get swamped with a lot work and too many different little projects can be assigned to you all at once. The priorities of the projects can keep shifting, which can get frustrating.