Rolls-Royce Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
3.5

Rolls-Royce CEO John Rishton
John Rishton

Pros
  • Good work life balance possible and some very paternal (if outdated) HR policies (in 33 reviews)

• There are also good benefits and initiatives to recognize good worker (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Culture is not suitable for anyone who believes in work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Senior management tend to secure their roles through experience rather than skill (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Leadership is hit or miss

Current Employee - Customer Management in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Management in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to be if you want to be an engineer for gas turbines. Have met some very nice and extremely talented people. Decent benefits and vacation time.

Cons

Difficult to find a career path if you don't fit someone's exact mold. It feels like a lot of the senior managers don't take an active approach to developing talent. Less exciting opportunities in the US compared to the UK programs.

Have higher expectations for senior leaders and don't keep someone in a spot that isn't performing well because it negatively impacts the employees below in that organization.

Great variety of work opportunities, but limited upward mobility and constant slow down of progress from the UK

Former Employee - Service Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Service Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Really enjoyed my work, it was challenging
    - Not expected to work overtime and can make your own schedule - mine was 7 - 3:30
    - VERY nice brand new facility in Indianapolis, full of free coffee, tea and office supplies if you need them that are restocked. You can also park in the garage on weekends if you are downtown.

Cons

- Same compensation for the industry, but NOT competitive and don't expect raises or good benefits
    - Have a normal curve for professional development meaning your manager has to put 5% or something of their people in the "needs improvement" category (or a 1/5) no matter how well everyone performs. You then get placed into this 'bucket' of poor performing employees just because that's what your manager has to do.
    - Constant frustration with TOO many acronyms, changes in corporate structure, waiting on other parts of the business to answer questions or communicate with you

Form standardized processes between the company and increase pay and benefits. GET RID OF THE NORMAL CURVE RATINGS FOR EMPLOYEE PERFORMANCE. Get rid of the older out of date products like old operating systems

Poor middle and upper management

I worked at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive pay. Interesting and challenging work

Cons

Poor managament. Management based on buddy system and not qualifications

Hire quality management based on work history and qualifications.

Great people, but processes & policies need an overhaul

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love my coworkers - some truly smart and pleasant people to spend my workdays with. There's a lot of expertise in many disciplines. The Indy location has a reputation for figuring things out and getting things done, sometimes in spite of increasingly complex company procedures. The company has started a new "high performance culture" initiative that seems to be an honest attempt at setting a positive tone in the office. I think our new CEO, John Rishton, has great ideas for the company's direction, although he has an uphill battle to fight with the old guard.

Cons

The UK headquarters, Derby, still seems to think its ways are best for all company locations world-wide. They're wrong. Derby increases its micromanagement of the satellite facilities more each year, down to approving job openings for individual contributors. HR seems to be entirely old-school. We've had a forced distribution for appraisal scores for several years. GE, the pioneer of that idea, abandoned it a decade ago. For some reason HR thinks we can attract the best and brightest while paying industry average wages.

Back off on the micromanagement. The various sites are run by smart people who can figure out what's best for that location. Being a global company doesn't mean Derby has it all figured out for everybody. Listen to Deming's advice and stop with the appraisal scores, particularly on a forced distribution. It's killing morale and doesn't fit with the "high performance culture".

Rolls-Royce is a stable company that works on extraordinary products.

Current Employee - Design Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As an engineer, Rolls-Royce develops fascinating products. Also, the work environment is for the most part positive and uplifting.

Cons

It takes a long time to make decisions and there are a lot of convoluted processes.

Don't hate, delegate.

Great Internship Experience

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Rolls-Royce as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great working environment, tons of opportunity for young employees. Good benefits and compensation. Only reason I didn't return there full time upon graduation was family related and couldn't stay in Indianapolis.

Cons

For some people, it seems like there may be a lot of travel involved at times. Some people may look at this as a pro, but it's inconvenient for my home life. Compounding this is the potential for a lot of this travel to be international. Rolls has an open work environment which may rub some people the wrong way, but I think it creates a great team environment.

Global company, performing great and good focus on people

Current Employee - IT Strategist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - IT Strategist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Global exposure
    - Challenging environment
    - Great products

Cons

- work-life balance
    - IT infrastructure
    - bureaucracy

If we manage to use the same lean process philosophy applied to manufacturing to other functions cost will no longer be a concern.

Disappointing for a company who prides itself that its name is synonymous with quality

Former Employee - Finance in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Finance in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good work life balance; some very good people; compensation pretty good for area but some positions need to be upskilled

Cons

IT Systems very poor and poorly managed. Culture - Very political; management does not communicate well; lots of lay-offs since 2013 but poorly communicated and shared so employees left in the dark; UK tends to be very insular and does not know how to run a global company i.e. would schedule important meetings during Thanksgiving; poor sense of ownership and accountability

Treat employees as adults and communicate both good news and bad news; break down barriers instead of promoting silo mentality

Manufacturing Supervisor

Current Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Pay. Plenty of paid overtime if supervising hourly (union) workforce. Great vacation benefits. All of the autonomy you want.

Cons

Work you to death. No work-life balance. Career path planning is nonexistent. If you know the right folks and golf with them, then you'll be fine.

Keep running the business just they way you are now. I'll look at your resume in about a year and see if you fit my needs.

Potential New Hire

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Well known company regarding automobiles.

Cons

Need to throw out third party vendor that handles background review. Very poor! Makes too many errors.

Poor human relation skills!