Rolls-Royce Reviews

379 reviews filtered by

1. MRPC

Former Employee - MRPC in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - MRPC in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Large, global, much opportunity, lots of travel!

Cons

Seemed to be lots of bureaucracy - could be discouraging when trying to implement change - impedes progress by design...

2. I love my job

Current Contractor - Director in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Contractor - Director in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good company great people and competitive pay

Cons

just loss holiday time. Too many old folks with antiquated ideas

Keep up the good work, offer a buyout for the old folks

Great people, salary and benefits good for the area, mired in process, horrid IT and HR, corporate imperialism

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We have a lot of talent here and generally great co-workers. Good opportunities for co-ops and interns. Overall pay is good for the area. 401K benefits are good. Generous vacation if you stick around.

Cons

Like many companies, benefits are being reduced: more expensive health care plans, less holiday time, etc. Biggest issues are lack of on-site leadership; decision makers are slow to act or simply pass the buck; very UK centric so if an idea doesn't originate in Derby, good luck getting anywhere with it; mired in process to the extent that we make the US government look efficient; IT is laughable; HR is worse; workloads are immense for many; reluctance to fire inefficient workers or those who lack skill sets needed to do their current job; matching people to the skill sets needed for job is not HR's strong suit (come to think of it I'm not sure they have a strength); pay for certain areas of expertise is lower than industry standards.

Derby: Listen to your off-site locations as they have good ideas too. Remember you did acquire these companies for a reason. The US is not the UK, our culture is different. Streamline processes and get rid of bottlenecks. One word: ACCOUNTABILITY. Require decision makers to actually make decisions. Enable decision makers to be able to make decisions without having to go through 42 process steps to get there. Each site requires leadership on-site, not in Derby or Reston. Stop reorganizing every year. It takes longer than a year to implement and reap any intended benefits. Don't try to spin cost costing measures as improvements to work life (i.e. agile work force) and then insist we are more productive. Read Dilbert (it is a near perfect representation of your worker existence).

Excellent employees to work with, but management is clueless

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer, Senior Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer, Senior Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to work on exciting design projects with some very sharp people. The workers that do the work really care about what they do.

Cons

No real upward mobility for engineers, very little new design work just fixing problems with existing designs. The IT system is an abysmal mess.

The way to climb the corporate ladder is to make no waves which leads to a bunch of middle managers not making any decisions and frustrating those who need those decisions to be made.

6. OK company to work at.

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People (in our dept) - Got a chance to work with so many talented, bright and dedicated team members.

Cons

Upper Mgmt- does not hear employees. Team had scope to build the department I worked in but company did not give a chance. There were no effort from business dev to promote the highly skilled team.

Should act promptly as they expect others to act.

A wasted career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A great place in the beginning with great security at first. Compensation here is rather good.

Cons

Unethical behaviours. Leadership is comprised of a sycophantic culture willing to create false successes for self aggrandizement. The culture among colleagues is continually harmed by the foul leadership. It is a CYA culture. There are critical dangers to the final product due to inefficiencies of schedules and infrastructures which are crumbling. Honesty is not welcomed here.

Quit.

8. Great engineering company for good engineers

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer, Senior Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer, Senior Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities and great career flexibility for great engineers. Good pay, though not so well differentiated for those top performers looking for financial recognition. Exciting to see your work flying...though patience is required due to long product lifecycles.

Cons

Satellite facilities seem to suffer from myopic corporate focus on activity near HQ. Need i say more? Skills-portability may be limited depending on specific line of engineering activity. Big company frustrations.

Decentralize. Too many decisions made from afar with unintended consequences more consequential than those that were intended.

9. Manufacturing Engineering

Former Contractor - Manufacturing Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Contractor - Manufacturing Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Rolls-Royce as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Very Positive Experience - I was a contractor at Rolls-Royce through Belcan AETD.

Cons

Great Experienece at Rolls-Royce Corporation

Great People to work for and with.

What a messed up place to work....

Former Contractor - SQE's in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Contractor - SQE's in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Rolls-Royce as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great team members to work with

Cons

Extremely soloed. Hard to connect with the right people. IT is the worst I have ever seen. HR is worse. I came in as a contract SQE, was told if it worked, I could get full time. A year later, HR changed the min requirements for the job and told me I didn't qualify for the job I was already doing! Along with all the regular, full time SQE's that I worked with. When I left, I was told I had to give 2 weeks notice but rolls unceremoniously dumped me with no notice one week later.

Actually talk to the boots on the ground once in awhile?

11. Excellent, the people were terrific, and I was sorry that I had not gone to work there sooner.

Former Contractor - Design Engineer - Cost Reduction in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Contractor - Design Engineer - Cost Reduction in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Rolls-Royce as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

They produce a terrific product, and their staff is top quality.

Cons

Top heavy review process, with to many checks and balances. Can not respond quickly to changes.

Some of the old procedures should be removed to simplify the approval cycle.