Rolls-Royce Reviews

Updated October 1, 2014
3.4

Rolls-Royce CEO John Rishton
John Rishton

Pros
  • Good work life balance possible and some very paternal (if outdated) HR policies (in 33 reviews)

• There are also good benefits and initiatives to recognize good worker (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Culture is not suitable for anyone who believes in work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Senior management tend to secure their roles through experience rather than skill (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

I enjoyed my time at Rolls-Royce and hope to go back to work there.

Current Employee - CNN Layout Inspecter  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - CNN Layout Inspecter in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The pay and benefits are good. The Company treated good workers well. I was able to move to the Qaulity side and learn that side of the industry.

Cons

Not being able to move to certain jobs because of Union rules. I was not happy with working an average of 55 hours a week up until the day I was laid off because of lack of work.

Listen to your people in the plants. They are good workers who can contribute more than the company realizes.

Rolls-Royce is a stable company that works on extraordinary products.

Current Employee - Design Engineer  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As an engineer, Rolls-Royce develops fascinating products. Also, the work environment is for the most part positive and uplifting.

Cons

It takes a long time to make decisions and there are a lot of convoluted processes.

Don't hate, delegate.

Great people, but processes & policies need an overhaul

Current Employee - Engineering Manager  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I love my coworkers - some truly smart and pleasant people to spend my workdays with. There's a lot of expertise in many disciplines. The Indy location has a reputation for figuring things out and getting things done, sometimes in spite of increasingly complex company procedures. The company has started a new "high performance culture" initiative that seems to be an honest attempt at setting a positive tone in the office. I think our new CEO, John Rishton, has great ideas for the company's direction, although he has an uphill battle to fight with the old guard.

Cons

The UK headquarters, Derby, still seems to think its ways are best for all company locations world-wide. They're wrong. Derby increases its micromanagement of the satellite facilities more each year, down to approving job openings for individual contributors. HR seems to be entirely old-school. We've had a forced distribution for appraisal scores for several years. GE, the pioneer of that idea, abandoned it a decade ago. For some reason HR thinks we can attract the best and brightest while paying industry average wages.

Back off on the micromanagement. The various sites are run by smart people who can figure out what's best for that location. Being a global company doesn't mean Derby has it all figured out for everybody. Listen to Deming's advice and stop with the appraisal scores, particularly on a forced distribution. It's killing morale and doesn't fit with the "high performance culture".

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disappointing for a company who prides itself that its name is synonymous with quality

Former Employee - Finance  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Finance in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Rolls-Royce full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good work life balance; some very good people; compensation pretty good for area but some positions need to be upskilled

Cons

IT Systems very poor and poorly managed. Culture - Very political; management does not communicate well; lots of lay-offs since 2013 but poorly communicated and shared so employees left in the dark; UK tends to be very insular and does not know how to run a global company i.e. would schedule important meetings during Thanksgiving; poor sense of ownership and accountability

Treat employees as adults and communicate both good news and bad news; break down barriers instead of promoting silo mentality

Potential New Hire

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time for less than a year

Pros

Well known company regarding automobiles.

Cons

Need to throw out third party vendor that handles background review. Very poor! Makes too many errors.

Poor human relation skills!

Manufacturing Supervisor

Current Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Supervisor in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Pay. Plenty of paid overtime if supervising hourly (union) workforce. Great vacation benefits. All of the autonomy you want.

Cons

Work you to death. No work-life balance. Career path planning is nonexistent. If you know the right folks and golf with them, then you'll be fine.

Keep running the business just they way you are now. I'll look at your resume in about a year and see if you fit my needs.

Design engineer

Current Employee - Design Engineer  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Design Engineer in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ability to work independently, good benefits.

Cons

Poor management, not open to new ideas

Work place environment

Former Employee - Project Document Manager  in  Mount Vernon, OH
    Former Employee - Project Document Manager in Mount Vernon, OH

I worked at Rolls-Royce full-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the people that you work with are friendly and easy to work with. My boss was one of the best bosses I have ever had, he tried to help out when he could.

Cons

There are some co-workers that act very unprofessional and rude. Some of the leads were very unhelpful and just wanted to not do any work at all. Some people would slip out and go to a different town without the boss knowing and get paid for it. It was at time like being in high school again. Stress of the job was not worth the pay.

Management needs to be more on top of things and stop handing their responsibilities off to people below them.

Great Internship Experience

Former Employee - Engineering Intern  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Rolls-Royce as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great working environment, tons of opportunity for young employees. Good benefits and compensation. Only reason I didn't return there full time upon graduation was family related and couldn't stay in Indianapolis.

Cons

For some people, it seems like there may be a lot of travel involved at times. Some people may look at this as a pro, but it's inconvenient for my home life. Compounding this is the potential for a lot of this travel to be international. Rolls has an open work environment which may rub some people the wrong way, but I think it creates a great team environment.

Global company, performing great and good focus on people

Current Employee - IT Strategist  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - IT Strategist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Rolls-Royce full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Global exposure
    - Challenging environment
    - Great products

Cons

- work-life balance
    - IT infrastructure
    - bureaucracy

If we manage to use the same lean process philosophy applied to manufacturing to other functions cost will no longer be a concern.

Worked for Rolls-Royce? Contribute to the Community!