Romano's Macaroni Grill

www.macaronigrill.com

Romano's Macaroni Grill Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014
Romano's Macaroni Grill – “Chef Danny at work”

Romano's Macaroni Grill – “Chef Danny at work”

Norman J. Abdallah

Pros
  • Good food and drinks, unique environment (in 4 reviews)

• I was able to have flexible hours (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The general manager was always on a power trip (in 3 reviews)

• I found it to be frustrating, because I was never really able to plan for things in advance (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent Place to work

Catering Director (Former Employee) Fort Myers, FL

ProsGreat management and overall company communication. Food is excellent. Great training program. Great flexibility.

ConsAlways changing menu, sometimes it is hard to remember all the changes. Advancement opportunities are limited, but they are present.

great environment

Supervisor (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsBenefits, consistent pay, Always hours available to pick up extra money

Conshours, employ at will, so Managers seemed to always have jobs at risk.

Advice to Senior Managementvalue employees in store level management a little higher

Being a server

Server (Current Employee)

ProsYou don't have to buss your tables. You don't have to do silverware. Minimal cleaning and side work.

ConsAverage serving issues like customers and slow days.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot everyone can get a doctors note for being sick. Not everyone can afford health insurance.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chaotic Mess

Server (Former Employee) Torrance, CA

ProsPeople I worked with excluding the two faced management team. Free food. Some really nice regular customers.

ConsManagement wanting respect; however, offering no respect in return. Servers not doing side work. Present crappy employees who are played as favorites, and can get away with anything. Dirty place. I worked there 7 moths and concrete floors never really cleaned. The food is not authentic.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some management. It is a corporate, chaotic gerbil wheel as far as upper management. Try getting a hold of somebody listed on the EthicsPoint bulleting they have on the office door. Joke. Seriously, a joke. Nobody listed will return your call, nobody.

It is okay - would be better with better management

Hostess (Current Employee)

ProsIt could be a lot of fun - it is a very unique restaurant. Rich in Italian culture and traditions.
    Sometimes you get free bread at the end of a shift. Yummy. There is definite room for growth within the company, like becoming a trainer or something like that. They also encourage you to be versatile like being trained as a bartender or chef on the side (only if you want of course!)

ConsI'm not a big fan of the management I have seen while working there. It was always unclear what the dress code was, as my manager often made up their own rules. Additionally the management allowed a lot of drama to occur that they never really stepped in to put an end to.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not be afraid to let people go when it is super slow so the trainers and your best employees can get more hours.

Awful

Server/Trainer (Former Employee) Marietta, GA

ProsNice coworkers, pleasant customer base. Managers were will to comp food when necessary (which was OFTEN necessary)

ConsTerrible food quality, terrible staff, terrible management, terrible upper-level management, terrible restaurant upkeep - people would often find cockroaches frozen into their ice cubes and the surfaces were wiped down with dirty dish cloths, no sanitizer or any cleaning solution. Foods were stored at the wrong temperatures and in the wrong containers, etc.

Terrible work environment

Chef/Supervisor (Former Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsAdvancement opportunities, benefits for hourly employees

ConsManagement's bonuses are tied to food and labor costs so employees are overworked. Everybody has two jobs so they're already burned out before work. The food is disgusting and not at all "crafted" as they tell you during orientation. Making kitchen work harder, the recipes all include some amount of pre-made frozen product, but still require some final preparation before service so you end up doing all the work of making good food just to assemble frozen crap. Lots of promises were made but very few came true. After five months I was still pulling steward (dishwasher) shifts despite being a culinary school graduate. The new company that acquired Romano's is clueless as well, seeing only numbers on paper, and not the people involved. Scheduling is done online, at random, inconsistently, at the last minute, and includes a high amount of double shifts, meaning either driving back and forth 20 minutes each way, or wasting a couple hours in the afternoon while not getting paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people like people, not as dollars. Your chefs are part of the show, pay them better. The disparity between what servers with little training will make during their four-to-six hour shift versus what line cooks make for a long day of hard, sweaty work is too great. Find another way to reward management. Make some food in house, the frozen stuff is gross.

Company gone bad real quick from 3rd Ownership dragging them in the mud

Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) Pembroke Pines, FL

ProsFood, 150 Crave card per month

Consfinancial stability. Labor has been cut so much that the guest suffer. As a manager any given day I would cook,serve,bus,bar tend, and wash dishes. You notice i didn't list manage. Director Of Operations doesn't know how to communicate with his managers. Thus Manager turnover rate is very high. The average manager stays 3 months out of training.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your Southeast Market its falling apart quick and DO can not plug holes fast enough. Market is in real danger of being possibility of some closures based on him.

1.5 years -server

Waitress (Current Employee) South Portland, ME

ProsCo workers are great, and my managers are awesome.

ConsReally would be helpful to have a full time busser.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Decent for a server.

Server (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsQuality training on food and wine, definitely made it easier to upsell. Managers are flexible with scheduling and they work to promote from within. Made the best tips in 2007 before the corporate change and sell off from Brinker Int'l.

ConsLocation was not the best so tips were in too much flux. The restaurant began to become more casual as far as how the servers dress but the prices continued to go up so it seemed like the clientele we were looking to bring in found us too expensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company was better for tips when we maintained a "fancy" restaurant image.

Worked for Romano's Macaroni Grill? Contribute to the Community!