Ronco Communications & Electronics

Reset
2.2
Chris Wasp

Great place to work

I have been working at Ronco Communications & Electronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for people to join and grow the company.

Cons

Need to work hard to keep up.

2. Company on the decline

Former Employee - Technician
    Former Employee - Technician

I worked at Ronco Communications & Electronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fully paid take-home late model vehicle with unlimited personal use. Most customers are easy to work for, and most co-workers gave it their all in spite of very challenging business conditions. Salary is a bit above average for the industry but benefits sub-par.

Cons

No raises for anyone in the past 12 years. Vacation/sick pay is use it or lose it with no rollover and unused vacation is forfeited when you leave the company. Morale is low. Communications / telephone division is losing customers, laying off techs, not filling vacancies and support staff, and downsizing or closing offices. Those who are left are stretched further and thinner. Communication from the top rarely happens and company owners very rarely seen. Company is pretty much in survival mode at this point and management seems content to maintain the status quo. Opportunities to advance or move in to other divisions of the company are practically non-existent.

Advice to Management

Current management style / business practices are clearly not working. The exodus of large accounts should be your wake-up call. The ship continues to take on water and the pumps are unable to keep up. .

3. Run

I worked at Ronco Communications & Electronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company car and gas card. Got to work with some really good people in the technician pool.

Cons

No performance evaluations in the last 5 years which also means, no raises. Training became a PDF file from CertKiller or TestKing sent from our training department with the answers to the target test. Benefits get worse every year and more expensive every year. Oncall pay cut $200 per week to $77. Company charges $9/week to have a company vehicle. Unused sick days are now lost instead of paid out at 67% value. No double time on Sundays or holidays and overtime only comes in after 40 hours worked in the week. So, don't take a sick day or hope there is no holiday on the week you work extra. Communication from the top down is almost non-existent until they show up at your job site for the day to lay you off. No severance package at all and they don't pay out any unused vacation or sick time.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees. There is a talent rich technical pool of really good people just looking for direction. Lead them or sell to someone that will.

One of the best Companies to Work for

Former Employee - Service Manager in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Service Manager in Columbus, OH

I worked at Ronco Communications & Electronics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company has a good customer base in the North Eastern States they where working on building the Mid -West foot print.

Cons

Not enough Techs to go after the smaller customers.

Advice to Management

Work more with the Sales team and Techs to grow the area

Working at Ronco was the worst job experience of my life.

Former Employee - Technician in Latham, NY
    Former Employee - Technician in Latham, NY

I worked at Ronco Communications & Electronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company car with gas card which you allowed to take home.

Cons

5 years no raises, no cost of living. Little training. When they laid me off, no severance package, denied paying me my vacation time (3 weeks). Management is clueless bottom of the barrel who operate out of fear and intimidation. No technical support available to technicians on call after hours.

Advice to Management

I hope you get yours. The way this company is being run, the quality of the dedicated people that they laying off is an indication that this company is on the skids.

Absolutely no loyalty with poor management

I worked at Ronco Communications & Electronics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

company car with gas card, decent salary, well qualified technical installation staff

Cons

Management is of the worst out there. Just field people that were promoted by being brown noses. 'Cliquey' and if you aren't part of the 'drama club' you will be run over. Management comes first, employees last-especially if your fellow co workers decide they don't like you. Raises only given when threatened with leaving company. Health benefits are of the worst out there with very little contribution by the company. 401k contribution was cut to a fraction as well as completely lacking of any bonuses. Lack of recognition of employees and lack of support structure. Disconnected upper management and no direct involvement from HR. (in another state) I was let go after almost 20 years of service with absolutely no warning written or otherwise.

Advice to Management

Management needs to get sensitivity training and education on how to deal with employees. Give raises on a regular basis as well as merit, not when you're backed into a corner. Most importantly, SHOW employees that they matter- give incentives that are achievable. Give bonuses for hard work. Give employees tools to get training and help if they need it. Your employees dedicate their life to you like a family. Treat them as such. Not as a doormat.

Solid Company

I have been working at Ronco Communications & Electronics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent Benefits , Company Truck and Gas card. Very technically sound workforce. First level supervisors are supportive and easy to work for.

Cons

Owner runs company via e-mail, seldom seen and reluctant to seek input from employees. Sales force would rather sit in the office than get out and talk to customers. There are no raises. Poorly run human resources dept. Company is unfocused jumps from one "Next Big Thing " to the next.

Stagnant, No professional growth, Poor management, Unprofessional Atmosphere.

Former Employee - PM/FT in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - PM/FT in Albany, NY

I worked at Ronco Communications & Electronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company Vehicle with unlimited personal use with gas card, Decent manufacturer trainings. Decent wages (if it's good for you to never make more than what they offer you)

Cons

The people on the management team either don't know what they're doing or should never have been promoted to management. I left this company to go a more stable environment and when I gave more than the recommended notice, I was fired on the spot, not professional at all. Swearing and bigotry are commonplace in the office, but it is okay due to the amount of nepotism there. Minorities are seldom employed at this office. No news is good news and threatening your employment status is commonplace. Annual reviews are pushed off to prevent raises, and sometime even cancelled with no explanation.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that are qualified to manage staff. Your managers need management experience. I've seen some good people let go for little issues that were never addressed, they were never warned. Perform annual reviews annually, and if you're not going to give pay raises, state that out front, don't let us wait and find out.

10. OK company, but lots of opportunities for improvement

Current Employee - Field Technician
    Current Employee - Field Technician

Pros

Stable company, take-home company car, salary on par with industry, overtime is there for those who want to make more money, management leaves us alone to do our jobs, friendly folks and good depth of knowledge within the rank-and-file who have been there for 10, 15, 20 years. Manager allows for flexible time to deal with family issues.

Cons

So long as customers and employees are not voting with their feet for greener pastures, management seems content with maintaining the status quo. No one has received a raise in years, time off policy is a joke compared to most other places, communication from the top is very infrequent, and too many "techies with titles" with poor management skills running the show with a "manage by fear" and "no news is good news" approach. People who left for the competition say their only regret is they didn't leave sooner.

Advice to Management

Communicate with employees - even it it's bad news such as we're going another year without a raise - stop letting us find out the hard way when reviews don't happen. Send managers out for professional / leadership development training (or simply hire solid people with leadership skills to begin with). Remove silos and other barriers to communication and collaboration. Keep promises to employees. Talk to and LISTEN to us.

11. Good place to work with some opportunity

Pros

- Salary is comparable, if not better, than several other companies in the same industry. - Mostly financially stable. - Decent benefits package available - Depending on your position and which division you work in they still offer company cars for employees.

Cons

- Management ability is questionable at best. - Some divisions are too stuck in 1990's technology and subsequent sales approaches - It's surprising how badly people get along at the corporate HQ.

RSS Feed </> Embed