Ronco Communications & Electronics

Updated April 26, 2014
1.7

Chris Wasp

Solid Company

I have been working at Ronco Communications & Electronics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent Benefits , Company Truck and Gas card. Very technically sound workforce. First level supervisors are supportive and easy to work for.

Cons

Owner runs company via e-mail, seldom seen and reluctant to seek input from employees.
    Sales force would rather sit in the office than get out and talk to customers. There are no raises. Poorly run human resources dept. Company is unfocused jumps from one "Next Big Thing " to the next.

Working at Ronco was the worst job experience of my life.

Former Employee - Technician in Latham, NY
    Former Employee - Technician in Latham, NY

I worked at Ronco Communications & Electronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company car with gas card which you allowed to take home.

Cons

5 years no raises, no cost of living. Little training. When they laid me off, no severance package, denied paying me my vacation time (3 weeks). Management is clueless bottom of the barrel who operate out of fear and intimidation. No technical support available to technicians on call after hours.

I hope you get yours. The way this company is being run, the quality of the dedicated people that they laying off is an indication that this company is on the skids.

Absolutely no loyalty with poor management

I worked at Ronco Communications & Electronics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

company car with gas card, decent salary, well qualified technical installation staff

Cons

Management is of the worst out there. Just field people that were promoted by being brown noses. 'Cliquey' and if you aren't part of the 'drama club' you will be run over. Management comes first, employees last-especially if your fellow co workers decide they don't like you. Raises only given when threatened with leaving company. Health benefits are of the worst out there with very little contribution by the company. 401k contribution was cut to a fraction as well as completely lacking of any bonuses. Lack of recognition of employees and lack of support structure. Disconnected upper management and no direct involvement from HR. (in another state) I was let go after almost 20 years of service with absolutely no warning written or otherwise.

Management needs to get sensitivity training and education on how to deal with employees. Give raises on a regular basis as well as merit, not when you're backed into a corner. Most importantly, SHOW employees that they matter- give incentives that are achievable. Give bonuses for hard work. Give employees tools to get training and help if they need it. Your employees dedicate their life to you like a family. Treat them as such. Not as a doormat.

Stagnant, No professional growth, Poor management, Unprofessional Atmosphere.

Former Employee - PM/FT in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - PM/FT in Albany, NY

I worked at Ronco Communications & Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company Vehicle with unlimited personal use with gas card, Decent manufacturer trainings. Decent wages (if it's good for you to never make more than what they offer you)

Cons

The people on the management team either don't know what they're doing or should never have been promoted to management. I left this company to go a more stable environment and when I gave more than the recommended notice, I was fired on the spot, not professional at all. Swearing and bigotry are commonplace in the office, but it is okay due to the amount of nepotism there. Minorities are seldom employed at this office. No news is good news and threatening your employment status is commonplace. Annual reviews are pushed off to prevent raises, and sometime even cancelled with no explanation.

Hire managers that are qualified to manage staff. Your managers need management experience. I've seen some good people let go for little issues that were never addressed, they were never warned. Perform annual reviews annually, and if you're not going to give pay raises, state that out front, don't let us wait and find out.

OK company, but lots of opportunities for improvement

Current Employee - Field Technician
    Current Employee - Field Technician

I have been working at Ronco Communications & Electronics

Pros

Stable company, take-home company car, salary on par with industry, overtime is there for those who want to make more money, management leaves us alone to do our jobs, friendly folks and good depth of knowledge within the rank-and-file who have been there for 10, 15, 20 years. Manager allows for flexible time to deal with family issues.

Cons

So long as customers and employees are not voting with their feet for greener pastures, management seems content with maintaining the status quo. No one has received a raise in years, time off policy is a joke compared to most other places, communication from the top is very infrequent, and too many "techies with titles" with poor management skills running the show with a "manage by fear" and "no news is good news" approach. People who left for the competition say their only regret is they didn't leave sooner.

Communicate with employees - even it it's bad news such as we're going another year without a raise - stop letting us find out the hard way when reviews don't happen. Send managers out for professional / leadership development training (or simply hire solid people with leadership skills to begin with). Remove silos and other barriers to communication and collaboration. Keep promises to employees. Talk to and LISTEN to us.

Good place to work with some opportunity

I worked at Ronco Communications & Electronics

Pros

- Salary is comparable, if not better, than several other companies in the same industry.
    - Mostly financially stable.
    - Decent benefits package available
    - Depending on your position and which division you work in they still offer company cars for employees.

Cons

- Management ability is questionable at best.
    - Some divisions are too stuck in 1990's technology and subsequent sales approaches
    - It's surprising how badly people get along at the corporate HQ.

The company is CHEAP.

I worked at Ronco Communications & Electronics

Pros

some of the peopleare great, close to my family, company car

Cons

no rasies at all, no cost of living increases, managers lie, the company keeps picking the pockets of the workers.

If you don't start treating the workers better with merit and/or cost of live raises while continuing to take money out of thier checks for the owners greed. UNOINS are just waiting