Room 5 Reviews

3.8

CEO

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Room 5 full-time

Pros

Working with cutting edge technology. Flexible work hours. Great work/life balance. Nice salary and benefits.

Cons

The flexibility means that many times you can't reach people when you need them.

Keep growing, but don't treat people like they're just a resource.

Cannot recommend this company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Room 5 for more than a year

Pros

Portland office environment is nice.

Cons

I did work for this company and was not paid as per agreement. Unfortunately I cannot recommend at this time.

Honor your obligations. Make better hiring decisions. Always remember that reputation and word of mouth is everything, especially in such a small, tight knit community such as what we have here in the Pacific Northwest.

Great group to work with including great support and efforts to build a wide range of experience.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Room 5

Pros

Lots of appreciation for good work. Periodic brown bag meetings to explore new technology. Good benefits including vacation and holidays. Ability to move to another project as soon as one ends.

Cons

I can't really think of any downsides except that it might be nice to be able to work from home a little more often.

On a regular basis, let each engineer know whether he is, or is not meeting expectations.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good employer with many challenging tasks thats pushes you forward.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Room 5

Pros

Management provides a very good and up to date information regarding the business future and growth.
    The company also have many interesting assignments from it's clients which makes the job a blast.
    Tactel also offers many opportunities for growing experience and skills within many areas of the software industry.
    The company also provides very good benefits that's very good. Both health, dental, vision, vacation, paid holidays and so on.

Cons

Had some rough years but I guess the whole industry have had that. So it's time for the management to show that they can turn Tactel around

Great place to work!!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Room 5

Pros

I was recently hired into Tactel. The people who hired me and the management personnel I went through in getting hired were very professional and personable. I deal with great engineers and very nice people who make you feel at home.
    Management clearly communicates their vision to its employees and how they are doing in this economy. Within two weeks of my getting hired we had a quarterly meeting where the CEO shared his vision and how we are doing as a company.
    I was little apprehensive about joining a small company as I worked only for bigger companies before, HR person was the reason I wanted to come on board, she addressed all my concerns and made me want to work for this company. I think company is moving in the right direction.
    We have biweekly/monthly lunches with other engineers. They were talking about having a yearly re-treat for all the employers.

Not sure what the negativity in the past comments were about.

Cons

Need better medical plans. However I think they are working on it to make it better.

Great career opportunities at a growing company.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Room 5

Pros

Tactel is a company that is growing and building up good teams to fill the technologies needs of it's customers. They provide the opportunity to be involved with delivering some of the best new technologies in the market place. They are committed to providing employees with opportunities to develop new skills, and likewise with providing the best skill sets to deliver products to our customers. Tactel management has been accommodating with my home/work life balance.

Cons

The company is growing quickly so the office and communications infrastructure of the company lags behind the growth more than with a larger company. Part of the growing pains.

Challenging work, clueless management.

Former Employee - Visual Designer  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Visual Designer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Room 5

Pros

Lots of big named clients see your work. Well-stocked fridge of free food. Good coffee.
    Talented staff of developers, designers and QA specialists who work well together.

Cons

Lack of leadership and poor management.
    Owners are unable to define their business plan, and, thus, unable to gain new and sustainable business.
    Workers are worked hard and they need to put in long hours with no chance of raises or promotion.
    Management does not communicate with staff.

Talk more to your staff and listen to their ideas. Develop a business plan and stick with it. Structure some sort of career advancement and incentive program for staff that works hard and does good work.

Horrible workplace, horrible management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Room 5

Pros

Since Tactel is a sevice oriented company, these times all of the companies are tightening budget. Therefore, some of us really don't have any work. We just pretty much surf the web and get paid.

Cons

uneven work hours
    no bonuses
    no promotions
    unfair treatment employees
    don't feel really secure about holding a steady job

Blind eye to unfair treatment of fellow employees. The management needs to understand that employees are the ones that does the actual work and we are human beings. We are not machines that just knows how to work and produce billable hours for the sales staff to have vacations to Sweden.

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Room 5

Pros

Great benefits (nice health insurance, FSA and 401K. and they will reimburse you for smart phone purchase!!), rotation of projects, caring management make you feel home. Work along side with the huge company like Sony Ericssion, Intel and Qualcomm. Have lots of real talented engineers that help me to tide over the tough initial period. I am very comfortable to work here.

Cons

PTO is not enough and every kind of leave will be taken out of PTO balance. Not enough hands to satisfy customers. Does not feel secure of the job.

Keep up with the good job.

Good company to work with

I have been working at Room 5

Pros

Great 401k, health package and other benefits for a company of this size. Generous in PTOs. Very open and flexible company culture. Competitive salary and compensation.

Cons

Since most of us are working as on-site consultants, there are limited growth opportunities.

Worked for Room 5? Contribute to the Community!