Room to Read

Updated August 12, 2014
Updated August 12, 2014

4.0

Erin Ganju

Amazing place to learn, grow and be challenged

Pros

My colleagues are smart, driven, passionate, and fun! The work is meaningful and I am pushed professionally, but with appropriate support.

Cons

The org is in an in-between phase of growth, so is still building up its infrastructure (IT, policies and procedures, etc...).

Great mission, great people, great work, poor leadership.

Pros

The work this organization does is very important and has wide impact in areas where the help is desperately needed. I had the opportunity to work with people in places I would never have otherwise thought of. The staff are very dedicated (almost to a fault) and are great to work with.

Cons

Poor leadership and executive-level management. It seemed that executive-level management was of the mindset that they set the agenda and developed all of the plans and everyone else was there simply to execute on their plans. Staff was never brought into the decision-making process and executive management seemed to get defensive when their decisions were questioned or challenged. They failed to take advantage of the expertise of the people they hire and trust them to make decisions, which resulted in high turn-over and low morale. There was a complete lack of cohesion between executive-level managers; they didn't seem to like working with each other and this had a "trickle-down" effect to middle-level managers and line staff.

Mixed experience of working here.

Pros

Exhausting, great learning experience, picked up a lot of skills in the office, and everyday had a new challenge. I had the opportunity to do international projects- it is what you can make of the experience, don't expect any mentorship. Great training opportunities.

Cons

Bad leadership, terrible office culture, HR is not trustworthy and makes terrible hiring decisions or manage change. Too many leadership changes will hamper growth.

Top heavy organization, hiring people with inflated salaries. Need to innovate on program structures.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very nice non-profit which does fantastic work in global literacy and girls' education.

Pros

People are fun, smart, motivated, well traveled and have lots of interests.

Cons

Young organization trying to do the right thing which is hard when you're working with limited funds.

Challenging work, smart and committed people.

Current Employee - Development Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Development Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The staff is top notch. People work and for the most part support one another really well.

Cons

Not a lot of space internally to advance.

Great place to work and contribute to a good mission

Former Employee - Intern  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great environment with smart and hardworking staff who shares the commitment to a common goal.

Cons

Didn't experience any cons during the period I was there.

Keep up the good work!

I've learned more in my 3 years at Room to Read than I have in my prior 10 years of experience combined

Pros

Fun, passionate, driven, talented staff combined with a mission that speaks to my heart. Stretch opportunities galore. Never, ever bored. Beer cart Friday - enough said!

Cons

Given its age in the growth cycle of an org, Room to Read is in its "adolescence". We're no longer a start-up, but we're also not quite yet a mature organization. We're still learning to put in the infrastructure, systems and processes in place to catch up with our growth, which sometimes results in some growing pains. But, we're getting there!

Very exceptional opportunity for professional growth

Current Employee - Fundraising  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Fundraising in San Francisco, CA

Pros

You will get to take on projects at Room to Read that you would never dream of at larger, more traditional non-profits.

Cons

Room to Read is for the passionate and ambitious so if you are not looking for continuous challenges to solve it can be stressful.

Great Organization. Work is rewarding and challenging.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Fun culture, really smart and dedicated people. You will learn a lot, be challenged and work with incredible people.

Cons

Not a lot of mentorship, professional development opportunities or growth opportunities. Very limited upward mobility.

Excellent group of dedicated, smart people

Current Employee - Program Officer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Program Officer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Fantastic colleagues, great travel opportunities, if you love this work there aren't many places like it in San Francisco. High standards for quality of work, work ethic.

Cons

Very little mentorship (b/c there are very few truly senior people on staff), limited career growth. Can be very demanding depending on your team/position. You're expected to perform at 100% all the time.

Worked for Room to Read? Contribute to the Community!