Room to Read

Updated October 28, 2014
Updated October 28, 2014
3.9

Erin Ganju

Burn out organization, 60% turn over and VERY little career/salary growth opportunities for non leadership roles.

Former Employee - External Relations in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - External Relations in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Room to Read full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The staff in middle and lower leadership positions have a sense of humor and make the job fun. The entry level staff enjoy this fun culture and helps retain their commitment and loyalty to the organization. The Co-Founders and Board of Directors are passionate about the mission. This inspires great financial support from Boards of Directors in global markets and Major Gifts Donors to advance the work.

Cons

The organization hires very green staff at low salary levels and fails to create a culture nor organizational budget where people can advance in responsibility and particularly in compensation. This creates a revolving door effect and 60% turn over especially in the External Relations Department, and fund raising team. Many of the staff shared with me that they do not enjoy working with the Co-Founders and find them to be very inflexible, married to their jobs and unwilling to create work life balance for their staff. While the Executive Team members enjoy high salaries, line staff are often brought in under market rate, and move on in the pursuit of salary growth offered elsewhere since RtR is not competitive with the market. This organization is less than 10% supported by Annual Fund Raising, and unfortunately is dominated by the interests of handful of powerful large donors instead of being broadly supported by the public.

Adopt a culture which HIGHLY values the contributions of lower staff, and provides them with solid career and especially salary advancement opportunities so as to avoid the reputation of being a "burn out" organization. People are energized to join and be part of a worthy mission, until they are too sick, tired, and or feel so undervalued that they move on. John Wood needs to be less involved in the day to day fund raising, and the organization needs to become only 70% dependent upon gifts over 25K. CREATE A MUCH STRONGER ANNUAL FUND and grow your base of the donor pyramid from donors who are giving gifts under $5K in very large quantities.

Great mission, great people, great work, poor leadership.

I worked at Room to Read full-time

Pros

The work this organization does is very important and has wide impact in areas where the help is desperately needed. I had the opportunity to work with people in places I would never have otherwise thought of. The staff are very dedicated (almost to a fault) and are great to work with.

Cons

Poor leadership and executive-level management. It seemed that executive-level management was of the mindset that they set the agenda and developed all of the plans and everyone else was there simply to execute on their plans. Staff was never brought into the decision-making process and executive management seemed to get defensive when their decisions were questioned or challenged. They failed to take advantage of the expertise of the people they hire and trust them to make decisions, which resulted in high turn-over and low morale. There was a complete lack of cohesion between executive-level managers; they didn't seem to like working with each other and this had a "trickle-down" effect to middle-level managers and line staff.

Salary is good work environment is moderate,very tall org hirerchy puts supervising authority to inappropriate ppl.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dhaka (Bangladesh)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dhaka (Bangladesh)

I worked at Room to Read full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good mission vision,noble cause,good HR practices(though insiders rarely acknowledge them) ,amazing leadership by Bangladeshi former CD

Cons

Fear of insiders to make use of opportunities like work from home ,for unknown reason ppl believe its just unprofessional !!!
    Unnecessary outdoor meetings -senior mgt all of who live in one city travel to another city for sr mgt level mtg every month,moreover ppl of head office are unnecessarily dragged to another place (mostly distant) for trg or workshops!!!!
    Tall hiererchy increases leadership inefficiency and poor delivery of mgt views,after all everyone is not comfortable with such responsibility nor has the patience n skill to render it effectively.

Strong need to increase mutual respect both inter and intra department

My experience in room to read has been learning journey...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Delhi (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Delhi (India)

I worked at Room to Read full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I learned a lot from my colleagues at all level be it my peer group,my supervisor,management team, support function(HR & finance) and even from the global team. Every person in this organisation is so passionate and you only realise the worth of the work culture at RTR India after you leave and join any other organisation.

Cons

Since the time I joined I have just experienced too many change in the program design.... This makes a new employee feel gittery if the GO is just experimenting or if they are not clear what will work at the field level.it is only the HR team who acts as steward of the culture and funnel down the global HR behaviour but other team heads also need to start behaving in the same way.

I will advice the local management team to act more strongly to represent the country situation to the GO team. Please give time off to your team when HR is organising professional development program.

Learning opprtunity

Current Employee - State Manager in Bhopal (India)
    Current Employee - State Manager in Bhopal (India)

I have been working at Room to Read as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Vision and Mission is good. Have good program design . Has good ground work and field presence . Result oriented.Has good learning opportunity.

Cons

Frequent change of program design. No Flexibility . Office culture is deteriorating and unsatisfactory.No plan for employee professional growth plan and skill development plan.

Should have developed plan for organization's growth. Value employee. Develop plan to assess the people and their strength.

Mixed experience of working here.

I worked at Room to Read full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exhausting, great learning experience, picked up a lot of skills in the office, and everyday had a new challenge. I had the opportunity to do international projects- it is what you can make of the experience, don't expect any mentorship. Great training opportunities.

Cons

Bad leadership, terrible office culture, HR is not trustworthy and makes terrible hiring decisions or manage change. Too many leadership changes will hamper growth.

Top heavy organization, hiring people with inflated salaries. Need to innovate on program structures.

It is amazing!!! Its a dream organization. I would want to retire form this organization.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Delhi (India)

I have been working at Room to Read full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best HR Practices. Very good work culture. Very approcable management. Work is very good and the impact is very satisfied.Lot of decentralization from procurements to HR SPOC.

Cons

Too many changes, Regional office next door with too much interference.

CD should stop talking about HSBC.If he does not understand the development sector than he should not talk at all.

Amazing place to learn, grow and be challenged

I have been working at Room to Read full-time

Pros

My colleagues are smart, driven, passionate, and fun! The work is meaningful and I am pushed professionally, but with appropriate support.

Cons

The org is in an in-between phase of growth, so is still building up its infrastructure (IT, policies and procedures, etc...).

Great Organisation to work for

Current Employee - Senior Manager - Research, Monitoring and Evaluation in Pretoria, Gauteng (South Africa)

I have been working at Room to Read full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture, Great programmatic model, Job satisfaction

Cons

Nothing in particular as there is no perfect organisation.

Very nice non-profit which does fantastic work in global literacy and girls' education.

I worked at Room to Read full-time

Pros

People are fun, smart, motivated, well traveled and have lots of interests.

Cons

Young organization trying to do the right thing which is hard when you're working with limited funds.

Room to Read Photos