Roomful Express Reviews

Updated February 20, 2015
5 reviews filtered by
2.4
Jack McGowan

1. Never would've left...

I worked at Roomful Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great working environment.
    Excellent training program.
    Great compensation.
    Strong work/life balance.

Cons

Closed due to bankruptcy. Would've given 5 star rating if not for that happening.

N/A

2. like a past ripe peach - SOFT

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Roomful Express

Pros

The job itself is not challenging, certainly for anyone with a sales or high ticket retail sales background. This could also be considered as one of the top cons of the job as well. Relaxed, comical, and friendly sales staff. Management is helpful, positive for the most part, and very easy to open up to.

Cons

The commission/pay structure is weak and looks to cut corners however possible.
    The combination of having poor in-stocks, overstaffed sales floors, makes it very hard to deliver merchandise and make a good living. Top sales associates jin the company make a couple thousand short of $60,0000. Most struggle around $30,000.

This job can be mentally wearing, and if you're not physically fit, you may not enjoy walking a large sales floor.

Managements varies on location of the store. My particular location had exceptional management who did an above average job at maintaining the performance and goals of the store in a proper manner. Push harder back at corporate management ~ if you are managing the sales floor you should be able to report market movement, sales that are effective, and additional ways to help the company adjust quickly to market trends

3. They are always hiring for a reason

Former Employee - Sales in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Sales in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Roomful Express

Pros

I got along with most of my co-workers. I sometimes enjoyed the way I would spend 8 hours a day basically walking around and talking to people.

Cons

I worked there from about 10/08-8/09 before quitting, and there are many cons. I was outright lied to about the pay (told 45k at least per year, you might make low-mid 30's if you work in a big store and do well enough to not get fired, many people make much less), as well as the benefits. I was told a large portion of benefits were paid by company, that isn't true, unless the health insurance costs the company an astronomical amount.

You would make a decent amount of money if not for the company almost never having anything in stock. The "Express" in the company name is supposed to signify fast service. This is only the case for a third of all orders, if that. People walk out on sales because of this, and you'll probably lose 30% of your written sales because of "backorders" (in most cases they were never ordered in the first place, and the customer was going to wait 2 months all along), messed up deliveries, and other various problems that are completely out of your control. Plus they have cut pay and benefits in the past couple of years.

The few salespeople that actually did well were not always completely honest with customers. They would especially lie about what the warranties covered. Apparently that's what it takes to do good there.

Don't lie to people to get them to take your job. Nobody at my store had respect for the corporate office because of this. You promise your new employees a mountain, and only give them an anthill. Maybe if you advertise it as a standard not very high paying retail job, your new hires won't all quit so quickly, because their expectations won't be so high.

5. In my 9 years I gained a wealth of management training and led a successful career.

I worked at Roomful Express

Pros

Senior management, cooperation between stores and training.

Cons

They are no longer in business.

6. started great until no merch

I worked at Roomful Express

Pros

loved the other sales people

Cons

lack of communication with sales staff from managememnt

find a new job we went out iof business