Roosevelt University

Information Technology Supervisor/AV Technician

Former Employee - Information Technology Supervisor Technician in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Information Technology Supervisor Technician in Chicago, IL

I worked at Roosevelt University

Pros

Managment was behind upgrading equipment and prompt repairs.

Cons

Teachers held classes though 2 way teleconferences between campuses and should rotate teacher for better interaction.

Rotate presenters and update outer campuses teleconference staff.

Roosevelt University is a good place to work

I worked at Roosevelt University part-time

Pros

Staff is hard working and attentive. Good communication between department management and employees. Enjoyable environment and great location. Rewarding work as you can immediately see results. The team is enjoyable to work with.

Cons

No or limited raises. Struggles with communication between school management and departments. Lack of funding and resources for department even though money is spent elsewhere. The school is really focused on outward growth rather than supporting existing infrastructure.

Experience working with Roosevelt

I worked at Roosevelt University

Pros

Great group of people looking to help you at every step of the way

Cons

I don't have any cons

Teaching Assistant

I worked at Roosevelt University

Pros

Friendly and lenient environment. Both mentors and colleagues embraced me suggesting and proposing new ideas and solutions all with goal to improve student's learning experience.

Cons

Got to be prepared for some students who doesn't have strong working ethics.

High work performance expectations and low low salaries.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Roosevelt University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Location: In the loop and easy to get to from anywhere in the city.

Cons

As a salary employee, they expect you to work outside of your job description to make up for slacking union employees and tenured professors, which leads to much overtime, but the salary is way below national averages and they do not provide raises in pay. However, the president grants himself unrealistically high raises. When I left he was somewhere around $650k while employees at my level hadn't had a raise in 6 years and could barely make ends meet.

Find a new leadership that respects hard working people.

The Single Worst Experience of my Career

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Roosevelt University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Location. It's on the upper edge of the South Loop, so it makes it easy to meet your friends after work for a MUCH needed drink.

Cons

Oh how I wish I had done my research before going to work at this hell hole.

There is a serious bully culture that is encouraged within the university. Not just with the students, although it's atrocious how the athletes are protected as they spew out homophobic, racist, and sexist propaganda on a nearly daily basis. The environment is riddled with "degree-poor" students who are too busy getting high openly in common areas INSIDE the buildings with nothing more than a slap on the wrist to ever be successful (try googling the last successful alumnus. You'll only get Shel Silverstein who was a drop out). These students are paying an astronomical amount of money to graduate and be losers.

The bully culture is also extremely heavy within the administration. Blatantly racist administrative decisions (see ANY people of color in Director or VP roles? No. They either all quit because of the racially hostile work environment, or were fired based on discriminatory reasons. One high level VP was even humiliated and fired in an open letter from the president to the university. And if you dare to question the direction of the university, prepare to be iced out and have your budgets frozen the next year.

The pay ranges are disgusting. There has not been an increase in salary - not even cost of living in more than 6 years! There are secretaries who make more than some management staff because they are protected by the union which ensures a raise annually. Oh but Chuck Middleton gets a raise every year. As well as the CFO and the Provosts. But the rest of the minions need to get back on the bread lines to make ends meet on an RU salary.

Stop playing shuffle within the departments at the whim of the consultants. Putting people in charge who have no earthly idea what they are doing because of all of the canoodling at the top is poor judgement and fosters an environment for failure. For the love of God, give your employees a raise! Clean house of those entitled, yet utterly useless and lazy secretarial staff.

A love/hate relationship

Current Employee - Associate Professor Counselor Education in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Professor Counselor Education in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Roosevelt University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love what I do and RU is very supportive with respect to community engagement and transformational learning experiences for students. I work with amazing colleagues and have been allowed to create new and exciting classes and learning experiences for my students.

Cons

VERY top heavy with respect to salary and compensation. While faculty and staff have had pay raises frozen for the last six years, the president, CFO, and other top administration took not only way over average salaries, but astronomical bonuses for "merit".

The changes keep a coming!

I have been working at Roosevelt University full-time

Pros

I love the students at Roosevelt and LOVE making a difference in their lives. I believe the atmosphere at the Schaumburg campus is wonderful and inviting.

Cons

The Chicago campus has forgotten about the Schaumburg campus and sometimes it feels like we are two separate entities and/or the stepchild from Cinderella. Unfortunately there is no Prince Charming waiting for us.

With all the new changes that are being proposed, no one knows from day-to-day what is exactly going on and/or who will be leaving next. No communication. No raises.

Good staff good experience

Current Employee - Lab Tech in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Lab Tech in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Roosevelt University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Will get plenty of experience with the use of the lab instrumentation
    All around good environment to work in

Cons

Some instructors will set unreasonable goals for laboratory work done by the students
    Large class sizes, often chaotic to handle and manage
    Computer and Hiring problems
    Instrumentation often needs maintenance

I worked as a Math tutor in the Academic Success Center. Great place to study and work.

Former Employee - Math Tutor in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Math Tutor in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Roosevelt University part-time (less than a year)

Pros

During the semester I worked there the staff was very friendly and helpful. Everyone is focused to serve the students and make sure they succeed in their college career.

Cons

In my opinion the job job paid well and it was very rewarding. No Cons

Roosevelt University Photos