Roots Canada

Michael Budman and Don Green

Key Holder

Former Employee - Keyholder
    Former Employee - Keyholder

I worked at Roots Canada full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The discount is very rewarding if you are a fan of quality leather bags and leather shoes. Most leather products are made in Canada, which ensures high quality and satisfaction for consumers. There is extreme brand loyalty, which makes meeting sales goals much easier. There are no sales quotas, just goals, which are rewarded when met. There are often weekly incentive programs occurring with generous rewards.

Cons

The quality of their clothing has deteriorated a bit, as they began outsourcing their clothing production in recent years. Long-time consumers recognize this deterioration and are very vocal about their distaste.

One of the CEOs is a bit difficult to please. Most employees are terrified of him. The other is quite pleasant. Good cop, bad cop type situation.

Positive, Organized Company With Quality Products

Current Employee - Sales Associate, Cashier
    Current Employee - Sales Associate, Cashier

I have been working at Roots Canada part-time

Pros

Monetary incentives to meet attainable sales targets which are a huge plus; well structured and organized company; friendly co-workers sans drama; and management that checks in often to see if there is any support you feel you are lacking from them.

Cons

You must be aware of where everyone is at all times in the store. Which makes sense but it can be tricky since you may also be trying to give a customer your complete attention. Call-in shifts, although to be expected, are never anyone's idea of a great way to start out what could be a potential day off. Although getting an awesome discount at all Roots across the country is awesome it is slightly disappointing that it is strongly discouraged that you wear clothing from, let's say, a Roots73 when you work at Roots.

Roots has little pamphlets by the cashiers counter that tell you a little bit about a variety of things such as their environmental and charity efforts. I think we could use one to explain the outsourcing of labour for some of the items made abroad. I have often gotten questions of people concerned when they read a tag and the product was made elsewhere. I think pamphlets could help inform staff of what to say as well as provide reading for the customer to turn to. I also think that a little regional competition for more sales is absolutely healthy but since the company is owned in its entirety by the original CEO it would be nice if we could wear any Roots products- regardless of the store it came from. It would also add a little more colour and showcase more that Roots has to offer as a whole rather than seeing 3 of the 5 staff on any given day wearing the same shirt. But overall I must say that I have always been a fan of Roots and my experience working for the company has only increased my level of respect.

Great company, love the community-centered culture

I have been working at Roots Canada part-time (less than an year)

Pros

love my co-workers, managers, pretty much everyone I work with, great merchandise, great employee discount (50%), very kind customers who welcome your help, cute babies and dogs come in too

Cons

lots of standing, almost no breaks, lack of sales incentives (no commission), vey picky about folding, have to sometimes work overtime (they give you more hours than you ask for)

add sales incentives to motivate employees

good experience for students

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Roots Canada part-time (more than an year)

Pros

great working environment, friendly and fun people to work with, flexible schedules

Cons

minimum wage pay, no individual commission, long hours during holiday

Depends on the stores

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Roots Canada part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Busy flagship store= much more work= sale a lot= clean a lot= fairly easy management since they are busy
    chill boutique store= boring and no sales= cant make the goal= strict management

Cons

not really, typical retail environment

Great company, most people are very nice, but tension between departments can be high.

I worked at Roots Canada

Pros

The discount is nice (50% off merchandise) and you get to meet people that have been with the company since it's inception. Learned lots about the retail company.

Cons

Departments don't get along, so not everyone is as helpful as they make out to be.

Excellent way to gain experience

I have been working at Roots Canada part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- fun, dynamic atmosphere. - very laid back, campy, corporate culture

Cons

- hours are reflective to the business needs

- more incentives to drive sales

Excellent

Current Employee - Store Associate in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Markham, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Roots Canada part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great team work from the employees.

Cons

I don't find anything at the moment I don't like about my position.

Anyone is dispensable

I worked at Roots Canada

Pros

The people you end up working with, besides management, are generally some the nicest and most down-to-earth people you'll meet.

Cons

Lack of training for new staff
    Incompetent management team - they actually don't know how to manage a store, store manager doesn't know how to do half his/her tasks and deligates them to the cashiers
    District Manager doesn't actually understand what is necessary for the store in terms of staff requirements, how the store should be presented, and what the customers want to see in the store
    Illogical hiring and firing practices
    Horrible Hours

This is really to the Roots HR: really take the time to look your stores and understanding what customers want, geographically and globally. The basic management should be fair and employee' opnions should be taken into account because when more than half the store can see the faults, they probably shouldn't be ignored.

Looks perfect at first

I have been working at Roots Canada

Pros

The leather is amazing and you get 50% off on all the leather goods!

Cons

My manager was amazing but the rest of the team was awful. We were only girls so there was a lot of "talking behind my back" problems. The big problem is that even if you are a member of the management, you might not get the hours you want and the supervisiors don't care about your well-being

Ask for the exact amount of hours you really want.