Roots Canada Reviews

3.7

Michael Budman and Don Green

Key Holder

Former Employee - Keyholder

I worked at Roots Canada full-time for more than a year

Pros

The discount is very rewarding if you are a fan of quality leather bags and leather shoes. Most leather products are made in Canada, which ensures high quality and satisfaction for consumers. There is extreme brand loyalty, which makes meeting sales goals much easier. There are no sales quotas, just goals, which are rewarded when met. There are often weekly incentive programs occurring with generous rewards.

Cons

The quality of their clothing has deteriorated a bit, as they began outsourcing their clothing production in recent years. Long-time consumers recognize this deterioration and are very vocal about their distaste.

One of the CEOs is a bit difficult to please. Most employees are terrified of him. The other is quite pleasant. Good cop, bad cop type situation.

Excellent way to gain experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Roots Canada part-time for less than a year

Pros

- fun, dynamic atmosphere. - very laid back, campy, corporate culture

Cons

- hours are reflective to the business needs

- more incentives to drive sales

Anyone is dispensable

I worked at Roots Canada

Pros

The people you end up working with, besides management, are generally some the nicest and most down-to-earth people you'll meet.

Cons

Lack of training for new staff
    Incompetent management team - they actually don't know how to manage a store, store manager doesn't know how to do half his/her tasks and deligates them to the cashiers
    District Manager doesn't actually understand what is necessary for the store in terms of staff requirements, how the store should be presented, and what the customers want to see in the store
    Illogical hiring and firing practices
    Horrible Hours

This is really to the Roots HR: really take the time to look your stores and understanding what customers want, geographically and globally. The basic management should be fair and employee' opnions should be taken into account because when more than half the store can see the faults, they probably shouldn't be ignored.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent

Current Employee - Store Associate  in  Markham, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Markham, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Roots Canada part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team work from the employees.

Cons

I don't find anything at the moment I don't like about my position.

Looks perfect at first

I have been working at Roots Canada

Pros

The leather is amazing and you get 50% off on all the leather goods!

Cons

My manager was amazing but the rest of the team was awful. We were only girls so there was a lot of "talking behind my back" problems. The big problem is that even if you are a member of the management, you might not get the hours you want and the supervisiors don't care about your well-being

Ask for the exact amount of hours you really want.

Trained to See Customers as Thieves

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Roots Canada part-time for less than a year

Pros

Cannot think of any pros.

Cons

This company made me miserable when I used to work here. The management treats employees like slaves, expecting them to double as security guards. We were constantly expected to watch the hands of all customers, and know exactly where they are in the store at all times. We always had to face the front of the store. Turning around is forbidden because "a customer might just grab a stack of clothes and run out the door." This is how Roots sees their customers. We were also expected to stay in our sections. Any movement outside of this section is forbidden. Except of course if someone they deem special comes in. An obnoxious woman who was the personal friend of Don Green came in one day and asked me if we had any of item X. I kindly stated yes we do, "they are right here" and pointed to the item which was literally 2 meters away, which she had seen since she then walked right over to it. Please note that I am always very friendly and never give attitude to customers. Apparently she found this very unhelpful as I was written up later for not walking her right up to the item and picking it up for her. How can I do that when I'm forbidden to walk to another section? I've been yelled at before for that. We are constantly reminded that if we leave our sections, someone can steal. We cannot leave for a second, not even for a customer. I did not know who this woman was until they told me. And I would not have done anything differently if I knew who she was because I'm just following their stupid rules.

You need to work on how you view people. This includes customers and employees. Customers are not all thieves and your employees are human beings, so start treating them like it. Don't hire incompetent managers who write your employees up just because some name dropper complains about them based on some personal bias. You don't hear your employees out. You just write them up. That's why when I worked there, everyone wanted to leave. They would rather work at the dollar store than work for you. You need to reevaluate everything you are doing.

My friends, family and I will never shop at Roots again due to this experience.

I worked at Roots Canada part-time for less than a year

Pros

Most of the people I worked with I loved, I learned a lot about products, customer service and other aspects of retail. loved the location i was at.

Cons

I understand why their tier of policies are in place and I think most of the time - they work. But when they don't bother to review employees it resulted in the most AWFUL management I have ever experienced. Now I was terminated within my first 3 months of being there - the LAST day of my probation. I had been told I was doing well, I was a KH so I knew how to work at 3 other stores in the city, and another manager told me after I had told her I was fired that she was hoping that I could work at her store - which I gladly would have if I knew the type of person my manager really was. I was given no reason for the termination - which again within the 3 months they are allowed, but it completely blindsided me. I have a feeling my manager got in trouble for something, and blamed me for it. The manager was the worst example to store policy, etiquette, and training I have ever encountered. They always showed 10-20 minutes late, took hour+ long breaks, left the store in a DISASTER when they closed, was condescending and rude to employees, & painted her nails behind the till while the store was OPEN just to name a few things! So I was screwed over, and I called HR and they basically told me "too bad so sad". I used to admire the company, until I experienced how they treat their employees.

Make sure your management is trustworthy. If you sense something is off encourage employees to say something. I know what my manager was doing was wrong, but felt like I couldn't say anything because they acted like the ultimate boss and like they had the only connection to the district manager. I feel bad for the store I was at. I know that the manager is acting like a tyrant rather than a leader and it is hurting the store. Also, encourage your HR people to LISTEN. While on the phone I felt like she was trying to hang up on me the whole time. Ruined my whole experience of Roots.

Good experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Vaughan, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vaughan, ON (Canada)

I worked at Roots Canada part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very fun and good management

Cons

No growth opportunities and lack of supervision

Keep up the hard work

Pay about the same as everywhere, but very high turnover at District Manager level

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Roots Canada full-time for less than a year

Pros

nice clothes, good discounts, some health and dental benefits.

Cons

no onboarding of managers, high turnover, no one knows the process for anything.

Good Job

I have been working at Roots Canada

Pros

nice people at the company made it fun

Cons

very busy work place always non stop

Worked for Roots Canada? Contribute to the Community!