Roper St. Francis Healthcare

David L. Dunlap

Good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Roper St. Francis Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good environment and values. People are friendly and helpful.

Cons

20% or so below market value on compensation.

Ups and Downs

Pros

Awesome coworkers who have turned out to be even better friends.

Cons

Salary is poor compared to other hospitals. They do not work with you on hours. The management is never around. The work environment is very poor.

Listen to your employees

Not a great place to work

Current Employee - Medical Technologist
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist

I have been working at Roper St. Francis Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very nice employees and staff(( with the exception of management and cafeteria workers))

Cons

Pay is very low compared to other companies in the same positions. Their raises are very low even if you get a great evaluation.No raises received in 2013 still smh on that one. They are more concerned about their image with the public but not reslly concerened with their own employees.You are not acknowledge when you do outstanding work because to them you are replaceable. Management really don't listen. They always hold forums for employees to voice their opinions and nothing rarely happens.No room for advancement at least MUSC trains their employees if they want to advance their career.

Listen to your employees. You are losing great employees to competing companies because your you refuse to pay us what we are worth and treat us like we are valuable. Giving us a pat on the back once a year telling us how great we did and how much money we brought in the hospital isn't helping your employees out when you don't give us raise or pay us what we are worth . We work at a hospital not Walmart .

Very friendly place to work.

I have been working at Roper St. Francis Healthcare

Pros

Roper is a hospital with a very friendly environment that delivers exceptional patient care. The organization works hard to make sure that its employees and patients are treated well.

Cons

Flat organization with relatively lower compensation, and less opportunities for advancement.

I feel that the right people are not placed in some roles of important management positions. The challenges of the ACA dictate some difficult transformations which appear to be moving much too slowly at Roper.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Case Manager in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Charleston, SC

I worked at Roper St. Francis Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Accomplished physicians, nurses, Social Workers and other medical professionals.

Cons

Salaries could be more competitive.

Can't think of anything.

Don't consider working here

Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Charleston, SC

I worked at Roper St. Francis Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Health and life insurance available, paid time off. Enjoyable working environment due to great co-workers.

Cons

Typical corporate environment that can be dismissive when you have concerns. Lack of respect from upper management, office manager was a novice and overwhelmed.

Needs to value loyal employees, be approachable, open and truthful.

For a hospital system, it was typical

Former Employee - Clinical Secretary/Hospital
    Former Employee - Clinical Secretary/Hospital

I worked at Roper St. Francis Healthcare full-time

Pros

Wide variety of healthcare available to you, since they have acquired a lot of physician practices

Cons

They are growing so fast, they can not keep up with everything...they seem to like doing things by the seat of their pants, and learning as they go which makes doing your job difficult.

Listen to your employees and find out what you could do to make their jobs better and more efficient. There are real easy solutions to a lot of the everyday problems, that could really be helpful, if there was not so many chiefs that it had to go thru to get approved.

Dead-end job

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Charleston, SC

I worked at Roper St. Francis Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Good medical, dental, and life insurance
    -Generous PTO

Cons

-Little-to-no upward mobility. I was a Financial Services Representative and basically the only way to get a promotion was for someone in your department to vacate their position. I'm not sure if this is indicative of the organization as a whole, but it seems to be very commonplace for FSRs to never even get the chance to interview for a higher-paying position.
    -No pay raise in 2013. This one hit us all very hard. The payroll tax expired in January as well, which made it very hard to make ends meet for anyone who didn't earn a lot to begin with. They danced around the issue for several months, and really angered a lot of the employees because they wouldn't give us a straightforward answer. This has led to several people applying for positions at MUSC because they simply pay more.

Please pay your employees what they're worth. Happy, confident employees will bring you far more success than any budget-saving measure. Roper is a great hospital, but I'm not confident about its future if it stays on its current trajectory.

Roper is an excellent healthcare group which is faith based and patient driven focused on compassion, faith, excellence.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murrells Inlt, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Murrells Inlt, SC

Pros

Faith based and patient driven with focused on healing all people with compassion, faith, and excellence.

Cons

Roper's physicians partners group is more growth driven and not as strong in the compassion, and faith area, as well as focused on growing middle management.

Focus more on your patients, physician offices, and staff, and the growth will follow. Also, increase the faith base element to the physician's partners group. An opening pray at quarterly meetings before lunch would be nice would be nice as well as closing the meeting with a pray.

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Charleston, SC

I worked at Roper St. Francis Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Roper's environment is one you really feel like you matter. Genuine concern for the patients and the community. There are many reasons why they are voted the best place to work in Charleston.

Cons

In my case an upper level manager had no clue what we did in our department. Immediate supervisor was great and as well as the one above this particular person. You have this most places.

Be sure all of management is on the same page with the same understanding of its employees.