Ropes & Gray

Ropes & Gray Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Ropes & Gray Chairman R. Bradford (Brad) Malt

R. Bradford (Brad) Malt

Pros
  • I genuinely enjoyed working with those folks(in 3 reviews)

• Good people, great culture and wonderful work(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no regard for work-life balance or professional development opportunities for staff - that department was eliminated(in 3 reviews)

• It's a 'law firm', not a 'people firm', so the staff doesn't matter as much as the attorneys(in 4 reviews)

Smart people, but Ropes & Chains

Associate (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsSmart people and interesting work

ConsHours can be very bad and demanding

Advice to Senior ManagementSpread the work out so people don't burn out.

Treat all as equals

Human Resources (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGenerous time off- 35 hour work week, pension which is now unheard of.

ConsBehind the times in technology and with self service options. Things are much slower pace when it comes to getting things done.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that staff is there to support lawyers and don't segregate so much. You feel under valued as a human being.

Improvement Needed in Employees' Ability to Track Quality

Legal Secretary (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFriendly staff for the most part. Promotion from within is rarely if ever overlooked. Cross-office opportunities are made known to everyone.

ConsKeeping track of one's own progress was continuously a challenge. This is where I felt the ball is dropped - maybe because of management's insistence on keeping a seamless flow of work (quality and quantity-wise flow of work).

Advice to Senior ManagementI felt they should be more pro-active in supporting the suggestions made by the support staff (suggestions that related to the support staff being able to keep track of their progress).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Minor Compensation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat co-workers and staff.
    Great location.
    Great lawyers.

ConsThey didn't give raises or bonuses for almost 3 years while increasing the workload and expecting the staff to accept the excuse that it was the "economy." But still giving large raises and bonuses to lawyers.

Advice to Senior ManagementInflation doesn't stop so why do raises.

A period of frequent changes in management team

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsA firm with a good reputation for strong legal experience and training and development of associates.

ConsManagement does not always support or advocate for its professional staff teams. Also, it's hard to get to know colleagues beyond the office you work in to improve working relationships. More firmwide communication of goals and objectives would be helpful, as well as transparency.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt appears there is a double-standard for some personnel vs others with regards to career opportunities. Also, there is often talk about being forward-looking, strategic and progressive but when teams try to implement new/different approaches to do work or achieve goals, lawyers/firm management aren't always comfortable adopting them and wanoften revert back to older/prior methods.

One of the better places to work in big law

Associate (Former Employee)

ProsNot as sweatshop-like as other firms; People seem to care/respect your personal life more than at other places. Senior associates have your back for the most part and don't throw you under the bus with partners.

ConsThe usual biglaw problems--long hours, hierarchical management, etc.

Its a very challenging environment which can be good or bad or both for some people

ProsGood benefits and perks
    Time off is better than other firms
    Very tech oriented - Ability to work from home and mobile

ConsCommunications between departments could be better

Associate

Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThe people and the work! Doesn't get better for big law.

ConsSometimes working at a satellite office can be difficult but overall the firm does a great job of creating a one-firm mentality.

Coordinator

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsPeople were, for the most part, competent, supportive and nice.

ConsDepartments were mismanaged. No communication between groups. Not a true global law firm, though tried to pretend it was.

Leave your morals and feelings at the door....

User Support (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsI have met some really nice people that i'm glad to have had in my life and still touch base with every so often both professionally and personally.

ConsBullying and manipulation seem to be the top two management techniques most used in the User Support group. The group turnover rate is ridiculously high and when someone left because they were fired it was 9 times out of 10 not warranted. Seems the manipulation starts with the CIO and gets filtered down thru many of the groups the CIO manages yet User Support gets the bulk of it as if supporting the customers is at the bottom of the barrel yet you are supposed to be highly skilled and customer focused.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to take another look at the CIO and Director of User Support. I would think one look at exit interviews should tell you all you need yet they seem to be ignored.

Worked for Ropes & Gray? Contribute to the Community!