Rosalind Franklin University Reviews

1. Not a good culture

Current Employee - Researcher in North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Researcher in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rosalind Franklin University

Pros

There is a small community

Cons

Low pay
    Worst management I have ever seen

Retire please

2. More work to be done than can be accomplished in time given. Low pay.

Former Employee - Administration in North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Administration in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Rosalind Franklin University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

RFUMS has become more widely respected in the academic/educational community -- but it has taken many years (decades). They have a teaching staff that is worthy of commendation and provides the level of education required for many careers in medicine. RFUMS continues to contribute excellent research data in significant areas. Their graduates are immediately employable and are generally knowledgeable and ready to begin building a career in their field of study. The office culture does vary from department to department and depends largely on the management style. Transferring from one department to another is relatively easy if qualifications exist. Many long-term employees have enjoyed decades of work with RFUMS, becoming experts in their particular work.

Cons

Deparmtent management varies greatly, which makes it difficult in accomplishing some tasks due to inter-office (or manager to manager) personal issues. There are instances where work was not accomplished due to management interference and/or lack of support. Cliques are very common and unless you find one where you're accepted, it's difficult to make friendships at RFUMS. Gossip is out of control -- and it causes some to be loners just to be safe. All of these pleasantries come with a low pay check preceded by inaccurate and berating reviews -- so as to justify low or no raises.

It would be great if management would consider their employees best interest for long term growth and company satisfaction. Instead of thinking about how they will be impacted by an employees desire to transfer to another job in a different department, what a novel idea it would be to actually work with the individual to accomplish goals. Truthful reviews and encouragement along the way would be greatly appreciated as well.

3. Research Intern

Current Intern - Research Technician
    Current Intern - Research Technician

I have been working at Rosalind Franklin University as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Awesome contact with faculty

Cons

some labs are more inclusive than others

5. Great Facility, Good People, Overly Cautious Staff

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Rosalind Franklin University as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great building, new facility, health club, nice cafeteria catered by Food for Thought, nice grounds for walking or taking a break, cutting edge research, top notch students and teachers, good benefits. I think its a great place for students, researchers and teachers.

Cons

I'm use to a professional environment, you get an assignment, get it done and try to exceed expectations, I had a temporary assignment as a contract staff member. I got a feeling that big brother is watching. Everyone in my area was afraid to do anything normal. People stayed at their desks, they ate, almost no one ate at the cafeteria, walked at lunch or went out. People behaved like the office was bugged and someone was listening to all conversations, calls and reading all emails. Also they have generally lower compensation, short 30 min lunch.

Many managers are old employees, with almost no management experience. If you promote someone, send them out for training and have annual leadership training. Do some team building. You have great employees, grow them! Loosen the reins a little. You let some work from home, then why not consider flex hours, little longer lunch encourage walking, health club usage. Encourage ideas, reward employees.

6. all the typical pros and cons of educational institution

I have been working at Rosalind Franklin University full-time

Pros

Nice academic environment without the stress of for-profit businesses. Always seems to be growing, so good job security. Turnover is fairly low and people generally aren't fired without good reason.

Cons

Little to no room for advancement in many positions. Raises are regular, but generally only keep up with the cost of living, so there isn't much reward for staying unless you are a skilled faculty member.

Make sure not to grow so fast that we outpace the job market. Stop spending so much money on construction and spend more on raises.

7. Learned a lot as a entry level employee

Current Employee - Research Technician in North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Research Technician in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rosalind Franklin University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I was more focused on the research position. As a entry level worker, I got chance to learn a lot.

Cons

The company itself is not that big hence the not a lot of things used to happen

8. Underfunded university with excellent faculty and staff

Former Employee - Research Technician in North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Research Technician in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Rosalind Franklin University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Faculty is motivated by development of science for science.
    Small university with only graduate and medical students.
    Small, highly collaborative laboratories.
    Excellent medically-oriented philosophies.
    Very informative and thorough HR - they take the time to get to know the staff members they represent.
    Excellent training for animal work, biohazard, and sexual harassment laws.

Cons

Underfunded overall, most labs don't bring in heavy grants and are struggling to stay afloat.
    Many labs are staffed by 3 or less staff members - a lot of responsibility per person without pay to reflect such.
    Low pay and little prospect for raises or promotions. This is unfortunate for faculty as well as staff because each position is kind of terminal, resulting in a higher than average turnover.

Salaries are typically non-negotiable. With low grant funding, the grants only allow a certain percentage to go to staff salary. Without bringing in many additional grants, salary is fixed and non-negotiable from the interview on.

There should be a clear route to meet criteria to move up from technician level to associate level. Even if it requires 10,000 hours of work, it's a quantified goal. Going in with a fixed salary with no potential for a raise or a promotion makes every position transitional, which is not good for trying to perform the caliber research required to bring in additional grant funding.

9. Used up

I have been working at Rosalind Franklin University full-time

Pros

Decent working environment nice people.

Cons

After your salary increases you are disposable.

Promoting over people because they are friends with the Manager leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

Leave away from this place

Pros

Great benefits such as insurances.

Cons

At the first of all, the department I am belonging in is nightmare because people at department chair's lab have huge pride themselves and look down the other people who work in other lab. The lab have published 1 or 2 papers a year, but the journal is not 1 or 2 impact factor journal even though SEVERAL people at the lab contribute the project for publication. The point is that how or why the chair and his some of researcher have such a huge pride even though their publication is not that great....... Some of the people in that lab behave like really big person...... which makes me consider that I might get attitude problem rather than gaining knowledge and improving my skills.
    At the second of all, HR is really bad. I could understand that they are busy, but they always try to protect faculty rather than stuffs. They were mad at me and unlikely do some work for me when I really need their help. HR is closed very often using some excuse such as " Welcome new employee at HR". It was not only 1 hour.... A COUPLE HOURS DURING WEEKDAY..... What this mean?? That is HR which is supposed to open from morning to evening as long as the school open, right?? So I encounter some delay for that I have to deal with some process through HR.. They did not even apologize me for the delay.
    At the third of all, the professor I worked for was totally not good to me at least. He always said to everybody how smart he is all the time. One day I have to do experiment with him, and he asked me to see how the experiment is supposed to be done. So HE basically did whole experiment, but the experiment messed up, and he ended up with blaming me about the result, which is not make sense at all. So I asked him why he blame me, and he just give me bad words and left the lab... which is also not make sense at all......
    So I definitely not recommend this place for work. This is worst place I have ever worked.....

Need professional people at HR AT LEAST.

11. Really Needs better management

Current Employee - Faculty in North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Faculty in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rosalind Franklin University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice facilities. Staff & faculty are great.

Cons

Managers/Executives are told by faculty specifics of the vast and deep problems that exist and possible suggestions to remedy the issues. Those decision makers don't solve the problems- in fact faculty who report the problems are seen as trouble and to be gotten rid of. Podiatry school has many senior and mid-level people without real world practice experience, board certification or solid teaching credentials. There are multiple schools as part of the university, they are not treated equally.

Management /Executives hiring other managers/executives that lack qualifications required of faculty, and then ignoring the faculty, is not working.