Rose Financial Services

Ted Rose

Loved Working at RFS

Former Employee - Tax Manager in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Tax Manager in Rockville, MD

I worked at Rose Financial Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

• Great stepping stone to new career, if Financial Accounting is your choice of Profession
    • Lots of learning experiences and resources. As an accountant, I had the opportunity to work on projects I did not think I would be permitted to anywhere else. The trust that was placed in me to execute on critical projects definitely allowed me to grow immensely through the experience
    • Opportunity for advancement. I ended up as a Team Leader from staff accountant in five years. I know six other people who experienced the same growth. Just do your work and you will get the proper recognition.
    • Lots of peer support. You become really good friends with your peer group. If you have a giant ego, you may not like it as much. Respect is definitely given to those that have deep experience in the industry, and they are expected to lead others and mentor more junior employees.
    • Benefits - Genuinely good benefits in compare to similar size entities. – 4 weeks of vacation, 2 days floating holidays, paid off for CPE time, competitive health insurance, disabilities insurance, Cafeteria Plan, competitive match in retirement benefit, etc..
    • Responsible for community – RFS Gives Back Private Foundations encourage employees to philanthropic engagement.
    • Events - RFS also has a lot of fun events, and I made a lot of friends working there, so going to the events was fun. I have been to a comedy show, two ice hockey games, several picnics, employee appreciation week, etc...
    • Work Life Balance - Work-life-balance seemed totally normal to me. It may be different depending on your team, but I felt you could do 40-50 hours of work a week for the most part and you would be totally fine. In my team, I was very flexible in managing my employee’s expectations. It's about what you produce, not how hard you're working. Of course, there could be times that people are expected to work extra if something critical happens. Now, there were many times where I chose to work late myself, but I never felt any pressure to do so. The caveat is that I had to be on my phone and email all the time. But that was expected only for the team leaders and above.
    • The best thing I can say is that working at RFS makes me a great accounting professional. RFS was my first accounting job in the US, I couldn’t have asked for a better place to grow myself professionally. I didn't experience any major setbacks and it was a pleasure working with a group of people who were all concerned with providing excellent service to their respective clients and making the best out of the time spent on doing it.

Cons

• RFS expects a lot out of employees and you can't slack off. Of course, you shouldn't slack off at any job, but since RFS is pretty fast-paced, there is a risk that you'll have trouble adjusting at first.
    • Training is too general, not specific enough to help sharpen one's technical skill set on a consistent basis. At the same token, employees also need to ask for the right training. While I was working as Tax Manager, they sent me to tax conferences.
    • Communication: I think the biggest change I want to see at RFS is the communication between management and employees. There were communications at times, but those were not clearly translated to their roles.

I can’t give any advice to management. I worked closely with Ted, Tim and Jeanne for long time. Ted created RFS from scratch and ran it for 20 years. He knows lot more than any of the past and present employees. I can just say this; I loved working for RFS and would absolutely refer them to my friends.

Good for an internship-not much else.

Former Employee - Assistant Controller in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Controller in Rockville, MD

I worked at Rose Financial Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are a student, it would be a good place to understand the debits and credits of small to medium company transactions.

Cons

Career Opportunities are close to nil. You will not become a partner. It is a closely held company between 3 friends, that will never open to others. Promotions are very political. Hard and steady workers were over looked for advancement in my time there. The salary from staff to assistant controller is far less than average. Again, salary is very political and hard workers were routinely not rewarded for their efforts. RFS takes on clients that can't afford accounting teams of their own and many do not understand the business transaction that needs to be recorded. RFS Management does not understand the paradigm and gives little support to staff, seniors and middle management. The only partner that does actual work is Vargo. The other 2 are sales people with little practical knowledge of what its employees go through on a daily basis.

Ted has an inflated ego. He is unwilling to listen to advice of his clients and his employees. RFS will stay exactly where it is for the most part. It is a middling accounting service provider that makes its money off the fact that its clients can't afford a staff. However, what tends to happen is that RFS will lose these same clients as the economy betters -they get staff, economy worsens - can't afford RFS fees or they become dissatisfied with the service. Employee morale generally stays below average because they are not empowered, listened to or compensated market rates. Evidence of this will be the time employed at RFS. Most stay 2 years. You need to listen to your employees and redesign your production model.

Intern Review

Current Employee - Accounting Intern in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Accounting Intern in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Rose Financial Services as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The professionals at Rose Financial are welcoming and helpful.
    HR is responsive and listens to what you have to say.
    The interns got the experience of making a presentation to management (the presentation topics vary from year to year).

Cons

The compensation is less than competitors.
    There is limited exposure to different areas of accounting (almost all my exposure was to accounts payable).
    They were running out of work for interns by the end of the internship.

RFS is always hiring! Due to their high turn-over.

Former Employee - Accounting Staff in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Accounting Staff in Rockville, MD

I worked at Rose Financial Services full-time

Pros

-The staff is great. Very friendly and close group. (But all are looking to get out of the job)
    -Get to learn various accounting software.
    -Get good experience with different industries.

Cons

-Management wants to run things like a sweat shop. MUST hit billable hours even if you use PTO days (meaning you have to work extra long hours to make up for taking PTO)
    -Huddles are a waste of time.
    -Work just gets dumped on you with little to no help. It's pretty much sink or swim.

Pay is way lower than average. The benefits are very bad. I had to get insurance on my own cause it was too expensive through RFS. Perhaps if you paid them better and had decent benefits people wouldn't all be trying to leave.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at Rose Financial Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Rose Financial Services is an excellent place for people who are starting their career or have less than 7 years of experience. The company has a portfolio of clients and a portfolio of services that exposes the professional employees to new challenges and learning experiences on a continuous basis. The company has a very well defined career path for its associates and staff accountants. The organization also has very well defined checklists and procedure documents that can be very useful for the staff.

Cons

Very fast paced work environment. Multiple bosses (one from within Rose and others from the client organization) for every employee.

None. They are learning on their own and implementing positive change at a reasonable pace.

Difficult to Feel Good about the Company

I worked at Rose Financial Services

Pros

-Great people (at the Assistant Controller level and below)
    -Will gain some good experience dealing with clients on an everyday basis

Cons

-Glorified bookkeepers
    -No training whatsoever
    -Big gap between management and staff
    -No flex time
    -Negative views for taking time off, even vacation earned

Take some time to understand what your staff want and need. It's difficult to keep good employees without challenging work, comparable benefits, and proven rewards to show your appreciation. Remember, your employees are the reason why you're in business, treat them like it.

Accounting Intern at Rose Financial Services

Former Employee - Accounting Intern in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Accounting Intern in Rockville, MD

I worked at Rose Financial Services

Pros

Good variety of exposure and experience.
    Everyone is very nice and very competent.
    Good work life balance, hours are usually around 40.

Cons

Not the best pay.
    Simple accounting functions as opposed to more challenges.
    Not the best place if you want consulting, audit or tax experience since it is mostly just back-office accounting functions.

Increase starting pay and salary to be more competitive with bigger firms.
    Offer more consulting type service rather than outsourcing.

Great place to learn and grow.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Rose Financial Services

Pros

The people at Rose Financial Services are great. This is a great place to start your career and to grow professionally. There is plenty of room for advancement, since the company is growing at a fast pace. Co-workers actually appreciate your work and say 'thank you'. Management is very competent and effective at assigning tasks and working with clients. The work environment is positive, and can be fast paced but not too stressful. The hours expected are reasonable, employees are able to use paid time off, and the work schedule is flexible.

Cons

Some may find the work to be boring or redundant, but at least there are a variety of clients and the environment is relaxed enough that if there's nothing to do, you can chat with friends or take a lunch break.

None.

Employees come from diverse backgrounds but everyone gets along very well

I have been working at Rose Financial Services

Pros

Friendly and helpful people in the company

Cons

not much at this time

High turnover rate, need to eat in hours

I have been working at Rose Financial Services

Pros

- free food when new hires come in
    - co-worker (AC and down) are very nice

Cons

- turnover rate is high
    - management only care about budget
    - everyone is looking for a new job
    -Some positions very underpaid

Rose Financial Services Photos