Rosecrance

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Philip W Eaton

Opens your eyes to mental health and how important it is to keep it.

ProsVery challenging but rewarding to help others with addiction.

ConsDisorganized with pt transitioning from detox to inpt therapy.

Not Living Up to Potential Greatness

Mid-Level Manager (Former Employee)

ProsMany of the staff are dedicated to their jobs and share the vision of Rosecrance as a place to help others address problems. Over the years, Rosecrance is one of the few treatment organizations that has been able to survive and even grow despite major challenges.

ConsManagement is well insulated from the realities of everyday life and tends to blame first and ask questions later. The management team has been in place for many years and treats most employees as if they are disposable. This has negatively impacted the entire organization to the point where their services just aren't as good as they used to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time to retire. Bring in some professionals who will run the place without burning through employees.

Money means the most to Rosecrance, staff and patients come in distant 2nd

Unit Staff Detox (Former Employee) Rockford, IL

ProsHas pretty good insurance. And there is much to me learned from patients.

ConsLong hours and half the time no breaks (but you will always have to punch out or HR gets on you and will deduct the half hour pay anyway). Usually dangerously understaffed. High turn over (average employments for staff with direct contact with patients is about a year and a half). No communication from management, but when staff does not know of changes management is quick to blame staff for the error(changes in policies happen almost weekly). Disrespect and direct insults from management. Unit staff has no back up from management when it comes to patient behavioral issues, if the patient had insurance there will be NO repercussions no matter how well documented, unit staff has no authority to deal with inappropriate behaviors . Management/HR lies about raises (often promises 50 cent raise after 6 months and yearly.) Fact is at best you will only get a 33 cent raise yearly and thats if you are VERY well liked, most get much less. SOPs very much out of date. One was just "updated" this year saying that staff should wear gloves when changing diapers on the family unit, that unit has been gone for over 4 years. However management will be quick to ask you when you ask a question (that they usually don't know the answer to) "What does the SOP say?". The computer system is terrible and there is NO training on how to use it, it's all trial and error. Also the system goes down often with no other patient chart back ups for emergencies. Training in general is lacking, at best you get 2 or 3 days of training when about 2 weeks is required,

Advice to Senior ManagementTry working with your staff instead of against. And maybe work on the floor every now and then so you can remember what it's like to deal with the problems that come up working with patients.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't Work for Rosecrance!!!!

Performance Improvement Specialist (Former Employee) Rockford, IL

ProsThey paid for employee's benefits, at least when I was there. I left in 2002

ConsEverything. Very political. Had some incidents with the CEO where they were trying to blame the "black client" that was in the office for theft. They didn't stop to think that it could have been anyone. Lack of training for position. I pretty much had to train myself in my job. My supervisor gave me a low rating for teamwork because I was in a location that was not with my team. Like that is my fault!!! I will never forget that unfair remark. For that, I only got a 1% raise and never received the other 2% as promised. I hated working at the adult facility. I wished they would have kept me at the adolescent facility. Too many clicks and butt kissing at the adult facility. My boss moved me to be with my team and I disliked it. I did my work and stayed in my office. She told me that I should mingle and make friends. When I did, she told me that I get paid by the hour when I tried to "mingle". She couldn't make up her mind!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so political. Don't say you would never stop giving client services if they had no money when in reality, you would end treatment for that cause. Don't ask a staff member to lie for you so you will pass JACHO.

Rosecrance is a great place to learn and advance your career in substance abuse counseling

Primary Counselor (Former Employee) Rockford, IL

ProsRegular opportunities for in-service and networking,
    management help in career path,
    lots of top down communication,
    employee appreciation is strong, creative and refreshing

ConsManagement expects regular unpaid overtime,
    emergency situations seem to be a regular thing

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade the curriculum and daily schedules to avoid constant emergencies with the clients

Great vision, but not always achieved.

ProsGreat vision and mission, makes notable changes in the community, cares about clients served, extends a great deal of assistance to those in need.

ConsCompany operates like a small company, management has not changed with the company size, a great deal of nepotism takes place with the organization, if you are not highly favored by upper management your work life can become very difficult

Worked for Rosecrance? Contribute to the Community!