Rosen Hotels and Resorts

Updated March 11, 2015
16 reviews filtered by
2.8
Harris Rosen

1. Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Food and Beverage Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Rosen Hotels and Resorts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pros of Rosen Hotels and Resorts: Benefits, work/life balance, growth opportunities. Harris Rosen is a great owner and role model. He continues to do great things in our community.

Cons

Cons of Rosen Hotels and Resorts:My only con is that they are only located in Orlando so if you are looking to move out of the area, its not possible to stay with the company. Other than that their are no cons from my experience working with Rosen Hotels and Resorts.

Advice to Management

Advice to Management: This is a great company and I encourage the company to keep up the great care that it shows to its employees. Everyone feels valued and that is vital to running a successful business.

2. Wonderful company to work for. (Employee for 5+ years)

Current Employee - Front Services in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Front Services in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

An outstanding company culture that breeds positive attitudes.
    Many excellent managers in this company.
    The CEO is very involved in the company and is a great role model.

Cons

I haven't noticed any cons worth noting throughout my time working here.

Advice to Management

Certain upper managers in the company need to work in their leadership style. They mainly lead in a coercive leadership style and in my opinion that is not the best method in this industry.

3. It's just all right...

Current Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are great with low-cost health plan with amazing coverage. There are opportunities to volunteer. Team members are supportive and friendly.

Cons

The management is a toss-up as some managers handle their jobs better than others. The company encourages internal growth, but actual actions are different. I once interviewed for a position and was told not taken serious with 3 years in the hospitality industry after migrating from a similar field of 4 years.

Management is inconsistent in disciplinary action. They are supposed to be step-by-step advancements; however, management frequently skips steps in the documentation when it is suitable to them and any write-up or higher punishment results in a freeze on transfer opportunities.

If you leave your current position and you do not like the new job, management will work against you to prevent you from transferring to another department or transferring.

There is a strong encouragement to participate in extracurricular activities, but management frequently schedules team members in a way that makes it very difficult to participate then if you do not participate you are criticized by your peers and management for not doing so.

Advice to Management

Be more consistent in handling documentation. Management should not be allowed to abuse documentation as a means to hold employees back.

They don't care about there associates at all!!

Current Employee - Security Officer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts full-time (less than a year)

Pros

they have none working here is for last resort or for people who have lost all hope in life..

Cons

All of them there management is really terrible....
    hourly wise none of there positions are worth it..

Advice to Management

pay more and u would get quality employees but at that pay rate what else can u expect from ur associates!

6. overworked

Former Employee - Bartender in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Bartender in Orlando, FL

I worked at Rosen Hotels and Resorts part-time (more than a year)

Pros

coworkers were some great people

Cons

only hires part timers so they don't have to offer health insurance yet will work you full time hours
    management didn't know what they were doing

Advice to Management

clueless

7. Good company to work for

Current Employee - IT Technician in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - IT Technician in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I believe the benefits are fair for the area. Overall everyone around here is very nice, and I do believe Mr. Rosen really does care for his employees

Cons

The pay is a little lacking, and the benefits have dropped over the years

8. I work at Rosen Plaza and it's okay.

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Willy Michel is a Manager, he's amazing at training you on the need to knows and he trains you until you get it. He preps you for just about any/ever situation. You have some freedom. It's not all bad at the desk.

Cons

Sometimes it seems like the Managers aren't willing to help to help you on certain situations and you feel stuck and they hate when you go above them to someone else without asking. Other departments depend on you for something that isn't your job. You have to deal with guest that can be more than just "rude".

Advice to Management

When associates come to you seeking help/advice at least TRY to help. Don't give a bad suggestion for us to run off of and tell to the guest.

9. Run like a family business, but you're family the owner doesn't like.

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Orlando, FL

I worked at Rosen Hotels and Resorts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is an easy place to get hired and start a career. Through hard or better quality work, it is easy to shine brighter than your peers. The culture is welcoming and warm from the start, making you feel like part of a family. As with most places I have worked, the company's legacy and beginnings are inspirational and motivational through the first years. Health insurance is cheap compared to other companies.

Cons

There is often little room for advancement. Pay is uncomfortably lower in all departments than industry averages. Management is deeply rooted and most in charge have been with the company for ten or even twenty years. This is bad for the adoption of new ideas or dynamic corporate strategies. They would rather promote a moldable yes-man who can cut costs than someone who could make the business run better.

The culture has created an overwhelming feeling of resentment as more and more is asked of you for less rewards. For example, the company cut back bonuses, raises and benefits each time they expanded and during each economic downturn. They also cut back employee conveniences like breakfast in the cafeteria (even though you had to pay for what you ate). When business returned and profits recovered, benefits and bonuses never came back, neither did breakfast and raises we're cut in half. Health coverage is questionable because your only choice is to visit the Rosen-owned medical center.

Finally, the entire company is run on horribly unreliable software. From reservations to accounting to convention planning, this software costs Rosen more money, man hours, guest and client recoveries than anything else under his roof. Every department relies on it to function. I have worked for many big companies that are stuck in this same situation. To be better, you can't be the same as everyone else.

Advice to Management

Cut costs with better and more efficient practices, not cheaper and less effective ones. Look to promote people who can challenge current methods, not just those who can follow the same outdated procedures. Reward performance, passion and creativity at every level. Pay attention to the inefficiencies in every required employee action; there are hundreds of unnecessary cost drivers in almost every employee's daily routine.

10. Good Company

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great hospitality/customer service experience
    Diverse team of employees of all backgrounds/experiences
    Fun environment

Cons

Relatively low pay
    limited opportunities for advancement

Advice to Management

Encourage your employees to be career oriented and create opportunities for growth

11. Boss that thinks he's God!

Current Employee - Cook in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Cook in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

None. Maybe the experience to know what it means to have a crappy job.

Cons

They play with your emotions and your paycheck. There no such thing as a full-time position.

Advice to Management

Get a life! We are not your slaves, we are the one's that make you look good. Many times, we actually know more than you do!