Rosen Hotels and Resorts

Updated Jun 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Harris Rosen

Good company to work for

IT Technician (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsI believe the benefits are fair for the area. Overall everyone around here is very nice, and I do believe Mr. Rosen really does care for his employees

ConsThe pay is a little lacking, and the benefits have dropped over the years

I work at Rosen Plaza and it's okay.

Front Desk Agent (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsWilly Michel is a Manager, he's amazing at training you on the need to knows and he trains you until you get it. He preps you for just about any/ever situation. You have some freedom. It's not all bad at the desk.

ConsSometimes it seems like the Managers aren't willing to help to help you on certain situations and you feel stuck and they hate when you go above them to someone else without asking. Other departments depend on you for something that isn't your job. You have to deal with guest that can be more than just "rude".

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen associates come to you seeking help/advice at least TRY to help. Don't give a bad suggestion for us to run off of and tell to the guest.

Run like a family business, but you're family the owner doesn't like.

Accounts Receivable (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsThis is an easy place to get hired and start a career. Through hard or better quality work, it is easy to shine brighter than your peers. The culture is welcoming and warm from the start, making you feel like part of a family. As with most places I have worked, the company's legacy and beginnings are inspirational and motivational through the first years. Health insurance is cheap compared to other companies.

ConsThere is often little room for advancement. Pay is uncomfortably lower in all departments than industry averages. Management is deeply rooted and most in charge have been with the company for ten or even twenty years. This is bad for the adoption of new ideas or dynamic corporate strategies. They would rather promote a moldable yes-man who can cut costs than someone who could make the business run better.

The culture has created an overwhelming feeling of resentment as more and more is asked of you for less rewards. For example, the company cut back bonuses, raises and benefits each time they expanded and during each economic downturn. They also cut back employee conveniences like breakfast in the cafeteria (even though you had to pay for what you ate). When business returned and profits recovered, benefits and bonuses never came back, neither did breakfast and raises we're cut in half. Health coverage is questionable because your only choice is to visit the Rosen-owned medical center.

Finally, the entire company is run on horribly unreliable software. From reservations to accounting to convention planning, this software costs Rosen more money, man hours, guest and client recoveries than anything else under his roof. Every department relies on it to function. I have worked for many big companies that are stuck in this same situation. To be better, you can't be the same as everyone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut costs with better and more efficient practices, not cheaper and less effective ones. Look to promote people who can challenge current methods, not just those who can follow the same outdated procedures. Reward performance, passion and creativity at every level. Pay attention to the inefficiencies in every required employee action; there are hundreds of unnecessary cost drivers in almost every employee's daily routine.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company

Engineering Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat hospitality/customer service experience
    Diverse team of employees of all backgrounds/experiences
    Fun environment

ConsRelatively low pay
    limited opportunities for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage your employees to be career oriented and create opportunities for growth

Food and Beverage

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsThe only reason I'm approving the CEO is because honestly I don't think he knows half of what goes on in his hotels anymore. The big bosses keep all that stuff away from him if possible because it would affect their bonuses if he actually started staffing his hotels correctly or paying people what they are worth.

Cons-Will keep everyone but one of two people part time so they don't have to provide health insurance, yet schedule everyone full time hours. Why do certain people get insurance while others don't, yet they are working the same hours?
    -always understaffed
    -positions stay open for months because they don't want to hire someone, when the current employees can just pick up the slack. saves them money.

Boss that thinks he's God!

Cook (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsNone. Maybe the experience to know what it means to have a crappy job.

ConsThey play with your emotions and your paycheck. There no such thing as a full-time position.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a life! We are not your slaves, we are the one's that make you look good. Many times, we actually know more than you do!

Challenging Dual Role

Manager On Duty (Current Employee)

ProsGood benefits
    Work with great people
    Promotion from within and they are willing to train you in new areas
    Stable work environment
    Every Associate can feel as if they are positively impacting the business
    Mr. Rosen makes it a point to show the team he cares.

ConsFew / Low Raises
    Low starting pay
    Little room for Life / Work Balance due to the nature of the business
    Flexible Schedules do not allow for one to plan more a fews days in a advance.

Alright.

Server (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsPeople are very nice to work with and the benefits and pay are decent. Work hard and you will be praised,

ConsIt is very difficult to get into management unless you work your tail off for at least a year or two.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet everyone feel as if they have an opportunity to advance within the company. And also offer a couple more benefits.

Rosen Shingle Creek

Front Desk (Former Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsGreat size company for advancement.
    7 properties within 30 minutes of each other -- no relocation necessary.
    Many employees have grown with the company so you feel like your a part of a large family.
    Extensive training and communication.
    Your work is rewarded in many ways: There is a Commitment to Excellence Award (monthly?) and you can also become a Service Coach for your department where you are part of a focus group and to bring new ideas to management.

ConsI had to move and Rosen hotels was only in the Orlando area.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! I have fond memories of Rosen Hotels.

GooD Company bad management

IT Room Tech (Current Employee)

ProsHealth Benefits plus 401k and Educational Benefits

ConsI always thought that a fun experiment would be to tell someone that they only had 45 hours this week to accomplish their work. I bet we would all be surprised by the efficiencies and innovation that would come out of it. The fact that this profession will permit, and even worse, reward those who work such ridiculous hours exposes a fundamental flaw in the collective thinking of the industry. After all, we are not teaching our young staff to find better, more effective ways to do anything. But rather, we are simply showing them how to put their career before their family and personal life. We do not encourage that people take risks, try something new, or go out on a limb. We take the easy, safe route...we just work more. In the process we are rewarding many who are poor managers, poor developers and are stagnant in their own development.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with training like getting master or MBA also.
    To be the best manager you can be, learn to control your emotions so you can handle the pressure without jumping all over your team every time a mistake occurs. It’s also vital to manage the expectations of your boss so you can minimize the stress placed on you in the first place. Don’t try to reason with your boss when he or she is angry. When your boss is in a good mood, discuss the damage that losing your temper can have on employee morale, retention and productivity. Then when a crisis happens and your boss gets angry, remind him or her about your agreement that if you get angry with your team you will do more harm than good. Do some reading on stress management as well.

To use your time well, follow the 80-20 rule. Allocate 20 percent of your time to the strategic matters that most interest you and 80 percent to developing, coaching, facilitating and motivating your team. Spend some time every week with each individual team member asking questions and doing a lot of listening. Ask what work they are most and least enjoying, what they would like to do more of or less of, what they would like to learn and what they need from you. Also, importantly, seek their input on work related issues rather than trying to be the person with all the answers. There is no better way of showing people you value them than to ask them for their opinion. Of course you have to listen genuinely and not just go through the motions like a store clerk mechanically telling you to have a great day.

Worked for Rosen Hotels and Resorts? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rosen Hotels and Resorts reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rosen Hotels and Resorts CEO Harris Rosen. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Rosen Hotels and Resorts employees.