Rosen Hotels and Resorts

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
2.6

Harris Rosen

Good company to work for

Current Employee - IT Technician  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - IT Technician in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I believe the benefits are fair for the area. Overall everyone around here is very nice, and I do believe Mr. Rosen really does care for his employees

Cons

The pay is a little lacking, and the benefits have dropped over the years

Rosen Shingle Creek

Former Employee - Front Desk  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Orlando, FL

I worked at Rosen Hotels and Resorts

Pros

Great size company for advancement.
    7 properties within 30 minutes of each other -- no relocation necessary.
    Many employees have grown with the company so you feel like your a part of a large family.
    Extensive training and communication.
    Your work is rewarded in many ways: There is a Commitment to Excellence Award (monthly?) and you can also become a Service Coach for your department where you are part of a focus group and to bring new ideas to management.

Cons

I had to move and Rosen hotels was only in the Orlando area.

Keep it up! I have fond memories of Rosen Hotels.

GooD Company bad management

Current Employee - IT Room Tech  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - IT Room Tech in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts

Pros

Health Benefits plus 401k and Educational Benefits

Cons

I always thought that a fun experiment would be to tell someone that they only had 45 hours this week to accomplish their work. I bet we would all be surprised by the efficiencies and innovation that would come out of it. The fact that this profession will permit, and even worse, reward those who work such ridiculous hours exposes a fundamental flaw in the collective thinking of the industry. After all, we are not teaching our young staff to find better, more effective ways to do anything. But rather, we are simply showing them how to put their career before their family and personal life. We do not encourage that people take risks, try something new, or go out on a limb. We take the easy, safe route...we just work more. In the process we are rewarding many who are poor managers, poor developers and are stagnant in their own development.

Keep up with training like getting master or MBA also.
    To be the best manager you can be, learn to control your emotions so you can handle the pressure without jumping all over your team every time a mistake occurs. It’s also vital to manage the expectations of your boss so you can minimize the stress placed on you in the first place. Don’t try to reason with your boss when he or she is angry. When your boss is in a good mood, discuss the damage that losing your temper can have on employee morale, retention and productivity. Then when a crisis happens and your boss gets angry, remind him or her about your agreement that if you get angry with your team you will do more harm than good. Do some reading on stress management as well.

To use your time well, follow the 80-20 rule. Allocate 20 percent of your time to the strategic matters that most interest you and 80 percent to developing, coaching, facilitating and motivating your team. Spend some time every week with each individual team member asking questions and doing a lot of listening. Ask what work they are most and least enjoying, what they would like to do more of or less of, what they would like to learn and what they need from you. Also, importantly, seek their input on work related issues rather than trying to be the person with all the answers. There is no better way of showing people you value them than to ask them for their opinion. Of course you have to listen genuinely and not just go through the motions like a store clerk mechanically telling you to have a great day.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I work at Rosen Plaza and it's okay.

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Willy Michel is a Manager, he's amazing at training you on the need to knows and he trains you until you get it. He preps you for just about any/ever situation. You have some freedom. It's not all bad at the desk.

Cons

Sometimes it seems like the Managers aren't willing to help to help you on certain situations and you feel stuck and they hate when you go above them to someone else without asking. Other departments depend on you for something that isn't your job. You have to deal with guest that can be more than just "rude".

When associates come to you seeking help/advice at least TRY to help. Don't give a bad suggestion for us to run off of and tell to the guest.

Good Company

Current Employee - Engineering Manager  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great hospitality/customer service experience
    Diverse team of employees of all backgrounds/experiences
    Fun environment

Cons

Relatively low pay
    limited opportunities for advancement

Encourage your employees to be career oriented and create opportunities for growth

Challenging Dual Role

Current Employee - Manager On Duty  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Manager On Duty in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts

Pros

Good benefits
    Work with great people
    Promotion from within and they are willing to train you in new areas
    Stable work environment
    Every Associate can feel as if they are positively impacting the business
    Mr. Rosen makes it a point to show the team he cares.

Cons

Few / Low Raises
    Low starting pay
    Little room for Life / Work Balance due to the nature of the business
    Flexible Schedules do not allow for one to plan more a fews days in a advance.

Alright.

Current Employee - Server  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Server in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts

Pros

People are very nice to work with and the benefits and pay are decent. Work hard and you will be praised,

Cons

It is very difficult to get into management unless you work your tail off for at least a year or two.

Let everyone feel as if they have an opportunity to advance within the company. And also offer a couple more benefits.

Run like a family business, but you're family the owner doesn't like.

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable in Orlando, FL

I worked at Rosen Hotels and Resorts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This is an easy place to get hired and start a career. Through hard or better quality work, it is easy to shine brighter than your peers. The culture is welcoming and warm from the start, making you feel like part of a family. As with most places I have worked, the company's legacy and beginnings are inspirational and motivational through the first years. Health insurance is cheap compared to other companies.

Cons

There is often little room for advancement. Pay is uncomfortably lower in all departments than industry averages. Management is deeply rooted and most in charge have been with the company for ten or even twenty years. This is bad for the adoption of new ideas or dynamic corporate strategies. They would rather promote a moldable yes-man who can cut costs than someone who could make the business run better.

The culture has created an overwhelming feeling of resentment as more and more is asked of you for less rewards. For example, the company cut back bonuses, raises and benefits each time they expanded and during each economic downturn. They also cut back employee conveniences like breakfast in the cafeteria (even though you had to pay for what you ate). When business returned and profits recovered, benefits and bonuses never came back, neither did breakfast and raises we're cut in half. Health coverage is questionable because your only choice is to visit the Rosen-owned medical center.

Finally, the entire company is run on horribly unreliable software. From reservations to accounting to convention planning, this software costs Rosen more money, man hours, guest and client recoveries than anything else under his roof. Every department relies on it to function. I have worked for many big companies that are stuck in this same situation. To be better, you can't be the same as everyone else.

Cut costs with better and more efficient practices, not cheaper and less effective ones. Look to promote people who can challenge current methods, not just those who can follow the same outdated procedures. Reward performance, passion and creativity at every level. Pay attention to the inefficiencies in every required employee action; there are hundreds of unnecessary cost drivers in almost every employee's daily routine.

Boss that thinks he's God!

Current Employee - Cook  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Cook in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

None. Maybe the experience to know what it means to have a crappy job.

Cons

They play with your emotions and your paycheck. There no such thing as a full-time position.

Get a life! We are not your slaves, we are the one's that make you look good. Many times, we actually know more than you do!

Could Be Better

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts part-time for more than a year

Pros

Has all the resources to be better. Great associates to work with. Great money because it's a convental hotel. There were some incredibly smart and innovative individuals there who have potential to promote Rosen Hotel and Resorts as a world class hotel. Harris Rosen is a good man, and likes to instill good core values.

Cons

Management was terrible. Many people in management lacked substantial experience, but got lucky so they landed the job. Luckily there was a strong staff to make up where management lacked. Inconsistent money, if you're working on a tipped employee. Doesn't really give a chance for good employees to move up.

Actually hire people with experience, and not just base off of interviews.

Worked for Rosen Hotels and Resorts? Contribute to the Community!