Rosen Hotels and Resorts

Employment Status

Reset
2.8
Harris Rosen

1. Great company to work for!

Former Employee - Food and Beverage Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Food and Beverage Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Rosen Hotels and Resorts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pros of Rosen Hotels and Resorts: Benefits, work/life balance, growth opportunities. Harris Rosen is a great owner and role model. He continues to do great things in our community.

Cons

Cons of Rosen Hotels and Resorts:My only con is that they are only located in Orlando so if you are looking to move out of the area, its not possible to stay with the company. Other than that their are no cons from my experience working with Rosen Hotels and Resorts.

Advice to Management

Advice to Management: This is a great company and I encourage the company to keep up the great care that it shows to its employees. Everyone feels valued and that is vital to running a successful business.

2. Wonderful company to work for. (Employee for 5+ years)

Current Employee - Front Services in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Front Services in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

An outstanding company culture that breeds positive attitudes.
    Many excellent managers in this company.
    The CEO is very involved in the company and is a great role model.

Cons

I haven't noticed any cons worth noting throughout my time working here.

Advice to Management

Certain upper managers in the company need to work in their leadership style. They mainly lead in a coercive leadership style and in my opinion that is not the best method in this industry.

3. Good company to work for

Current Employee - IT Technician in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - IT Technician in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I believe the benefits are fair for the area. Overall everyone around here is very nice, and I do believe Mr. Rosen really does care for his employees

Cons

The pay is a little lacking, and the benefits have dropped over the years

5. Rosen Shingle Creek

Former Employee - Front Desk in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Orlando, FL

I worked at Rosen Hotels and Resorts

Pros

Great size company for advancement.
    7 properties within 30 minutes of each other -- no relocation necessary.
    Many employees have grown with the company so you feel like your a part of a large family.
    Extensive training and communication.
    Your work is rewarded in many ways: There is a Commitment to Excellence Award (monthly?) and you can also become a Service Coach for your department where you are part of a focus group and to bring new ideas to management.

Cons

I had to move and Rosen hotels was only in the Orlando area.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I have fond memories of Rosen Hotels.

6. GooD Company bad management

Current Employee - IT Room Tech in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - IT Room Tech in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts

Pros

Health Benefits plus 401k and Educational Benefits

Cons

I always thought that a fun experiment would be to tell someone that they only had 45 hours this week to accomplish their work. I bet we would all be surprised by the efficiencies and innovation that would come out of it. The fact that this profession will permit, and even worse, reward those who work such ridiculous hours exposes a fundamental flaw in the collective thinking of the industry. After all, we are not teaching our young staff to find better, more effective ways to do anything. But rather, we are simply showing them how to put their career before their family and personal life. We do not encourage that people take risks, try something new, or go out on a limb. We take the easy, safe route...we just work more. In the process we are rewarding many who are poor managers, poor developers and are stagnant in their own development.

Advice to Management

Keep up with training like getting master or MBA also.
    To be the best manager you can be, learn to control your emotions so you can handle the pressure without jumping all over your team every time a mistake occurs. It’s also vital to manage the expectations of your boss so you can minimize the stress placed on you in the first place. Don’t try to reason with your boss when he or she is angry. When your boss is in a good mood, discuss the damage that losing your temper can have on employee morale, retention and productivity. Then when a crisis happens and your boss gets angry, remind him or her about your agreement that if you get angry with your team you will do more harm than good. Do some reading on stress management as well.

To use your time well, follow the 80-20 rule. Allocate 20 percent of your time to the strategic matters that most interest you and 80 percent to developing, coaching, facilitating and motivating your team. Spend some time every week with each individual team member asking questions and doing a lot of listening. Ask what work they are most and least enjoying, what they would like to do more of or less of, what they would like to learn and what they need from you. Also, importantly, seek their input on work related issues rather than trying to be the person with all the answers. There is no better way of showing people you value them than to ask them for their opinion. Of course you have to listen genuinely and not just go through the motions like a store clerk mechanically telling you to have a great day.

7. I work at Rosen Plaza and it's okay.

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Willy Michel is a Manager, he's amazing at training you on the need to knows and he trains you until you get it. He preps you for just about any/ever situation. You have some freedom. It's not all bad at the desk.

Cons

Sometimes it seems like the Managers aren't willing to help to help you on certain situations and you feel stuck and they hate when you go above them to someone else without asking. Other departments depend on you for something that isn't your job. You have to deal with guest that can be more than just "rude".

Advice to Management

When associates come to you seeking help/advice at least TRY to help. Don't give a bad suggestion for us to run off of and tell to the guest.

8. Good Company

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hospitality/customer service experience
    Diverse team of employees of all backgrounds/experiences
    Fun environment

Cons

Relatively low pay
    limited opportunities for advancement

Advice to Management

Encourage your employees to be career oriented and create opportunities for growth

9. Challenging Dual Role

Current Employee - Manager On Duty in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Manager On Duty in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts

Pros

Good benefits
    Work with great people
    Promotion from within and they are willing to train you in new areas
    Stable work environment
    Every Associate can feel as if they are positively impacting the business
    Mr. Rosen makes it a point to show the team he cares.

Cons

Few / Low Raises
    Low starting pay
    Little room for Life / Work Balance due to the nature of the business
    Flexible Schedules do not allow for one to plan more a fews days in a advance.

10. Alright.

Current Employee - Server in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Server in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts

Pros

People are very nice to work with and the benefits and pay are decent. Work hard and you will be praised,

Cons

It is very difficult to get into management unless you work your tail off for at least a year or two.

Advice to Management

Let everyone feel as if they have an opportunity to advance within the company. And also offer a couple more benefits.

11. It's just all right...

Current Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Rosen Hotels and Resorts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are great with low-cost health plan with amazing coverage. There are opportunities to volunteer. Team members are supportive and friendly.

Cons

The management is a toss-up as some managers handle their jobs better than others. The company encourages internal growth, but actual actions are different. I once interviewed for a position and was told not taken serious with 3 years in the hospitality industry after migrating from a similar field of 4 years.

Management is inconsistent in disciplinary action. They are supposed to be step-by-step advancements; however, management frequently skips steps in the documentation when it is suitable to them and any write-up or higher punishment results in a freeze on transfer opportunities.

If you leave your current position and you do not like the new job, management will work against you to prevent you from transferring to another department or transferring.

There is a strong encouragement to participate in extracurricular activities, but management frequently schedules team members in a way that makes it very difficult to participate then if you do not participate you are criticized by your peers and management for not doing so.

Advice to Management

Be more consistent in handling documentation. Management should not be allowed to abuse documentation as a means to hold employees back.

RSS Feed </> Embed