Rosen Seymour

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Martin L. Greenberg

A firm in slow moving but positive transition - great potential

I have been working at Rosen Seymour full-time for more than 10 years

ProsVery diverse firm in terms of nature of services and size of clients. Services include everything from simple bookkeeping, accounting, basic tax preparation all the way through reviews, audits, retirement plans, forensic accounting, valuations, into international taxation (numerous tax attorneys on staff) estates and trusts. Clients range from momma pappa all the way through national and international companies, public companies with emphasis on financial services, broker dealers, internet, advertising companies, real estate, manufacturing and wholesale companies and service companies.

ConsBetter and more positive communication needed among different levels of staff, managers and partners. Quality review department very serious group and sometimes can be over zealous for perfection.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff ideas should be not only considered but also applied with a review and implementation along with incentives and rewards on successful outcomes

Excellent management and mentoring

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Rosen Seymour

ProsAll of the staff work together as a team

ConsCant come up with one

Excellent business experience besides accounting.

Tax Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Rosen Seymour full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTalented hard working partners. Great clients.

ConsSalarie slightly below average in NYC

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Leadership needs changing not more compensation.

Accountant (Former Employee)

ProsDays off.
Not a lot of pressure from the top to get the work out.
Budgets are important but are not life and death.
OT policy-although as mentioned before it is caped once staff reach 65K mark.

ConsAs previously mentioned, the firm is very top heavy. Too many partners that are not going anywhere any time soon. Even so, the company is promoting people to principals and managers. At this point the company has more supervisors, managers, principals, and partners than seniors and below. It is an inverted triangle(downward). If this continues partners are going to have to start testing cash and fixed assets. I kid you not, several principals are already doing those areas because chargeable hours are a scarce resource. Yearly compensation is tied to chargeable hours not actual performance. The firm also has a very liberal promotion policy, people are promoted to supervisor and manager position with out being certified, and ability to demonstrate leadership and technical competence. Promotions are based on the number of years a person is with the firm, and whose behind you kiss. As a previous post writes "there has been no formal training for several years", nor are there any plans in motion to get training going again. During a recent firm meeting, it was stated that everyone gets on the job training instead. Upper level staff don't train, they say to look at last years workpapers and replicate this year. Very high turnover this year because of a lack of competent leadership, and previous items stated above. At this point I reckon that partners and principals are going to be folding, licking, and sealing those AR confirmations. There is strong rivalry in the staff room. If they like you, they will put you on there jobs. If they don't like you, they will make sure that they ruin your reputation in front of principals and partners. Management has been aware of this issue for many years now, but has failed to do anything about it, if anything, has promoted such behavior. I have seen high school kids act more professional than certain people in the staff room.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevise promotion guidelines
Start training, don't just have an all day FASB update(good nap time, but useless)
Start compensating people for good work, not just if they only met their billable hours
Request kindly, that if supervisors and mangers don't get their CPA's in a given time, they won't be promoted and/ or get laid off.
Deal with the strong rivalry in the staff room. Don't just shrug it off.
Marty needs to be more personable, if someone says good morning, its only human nature to say it back, even though it might not be such a good morning. Perhaps maybe even smile once in awhile when someone approaches you.(Maybe I crossed the line with this comment, I think I may be asking for too much)

Overall is good. However there are some OLD partner that they need to upgrade their skills

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Rosen Seymour

ProsLife Balance compare to other companies you do not as many hours

ConsLow pay compare to the average

Advice to Senior ManagementI Martin need to be more social with the associates.He is good to merge with other companies to keep RSSM afloat but the there is not integration with the new companies

x

Tax Staff Accountant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rosen Seymour

ProsGreat work life balance and good communication from the partners Diverse client group and opportunities. Great mid size firm to work for.

ConsThe comp is not that great and needs to be increased. Rivalry in the staff room that is ignored by the partners

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to work on communication with staff much better and create an HR department. Should look to develop staff ability.

Not competitive

Semi-Senior (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rosen Seymour

ProsNot much work, at least 30 days off. Laid back attitude for the most part.

ConsPay is not competitive, work is inconsistent and does not foster growth of technical knowledge. Higher level staff for the most part follow SALY and do not seem to appreciate questions nor train well. There has not been any formal training for the past few years. Environment makes it difficult to learn technical knowledge and proper application as mid-level staff are threatened by up and coming staff which seek technical application of what was learned on the CPA exam. Also the company doesn't compensate or respect the acquiring of the certification. Is has no effect on any kind of bonus, raise, or any assistance in achieving the title.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in the staff especially at the lower level as it is the ground work of the future of the company unless they desire a high turnover ratio or mediocre employees. The environment has become more of a job then a career as compensation is not competitive and the titles are meaningless when managers are not certified. Also do not advertise 27% growth then turnaround and tell the employees, " times are tough, we cant give you a decent raise."

Rosen Seymour

I have been working at Rosen Seymour

ProsThe company is in a good location

ConsInternship program did not provide the type of hands on experience that I was looking for.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more of an interest in your interns

Worked for Rosen Seymour? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rosen Seymour reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rosen Seymour CEO Martin L. Greenberg. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Rosen Seymour employees.