Rosetta Stone Reviews

Reset
1.0
John Hass
1 Rating

Pros
  • Great product and co-workers committed to language learning (in 14 reviews)

• Easy and enjoyable meeting people from around the world (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • communication from upper management not always the most clear (in 30 reviews)

• No work life balance & people will take advantage of you (in 9 reviews)

1. Customer Service

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Harrisonburg, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Harrisonburg, VA

I worked at Rosetta Stone full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free pizza, bagles and soda. Cool people and its a job

Cons

Everything else. Stressed, yelling all the time. Stupid metrics to meet. Bad supervisor and management

Advice to Management

Clear out Harrisonburg product support and customer care management and supervisors

negative

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

Pros

No support, poor training, lacks integrity, and company has lack of knowing what each department is doing.

Cons

Very car in co-workers until they are laid off or fired

Customer Care and Support - Toxic Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisonburg, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisonburg, VA

I worked at Rosetta Stone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As with any company, you find cool co-workers. Good benefits, though costs went up the last two years substantially, but not really their fault.

Cons

I can only speak for the Customer Care Department, but this place was the most toxix place I have ever been employed at. Once people get in, they try to get out either through another department or externally. Management is horrid. I have never loathed going to work every day as I did here. You are micromanaged by incompetent management, whom you wonder how they got their positions. They have ridiculous metrics you need to meet and if you don't they are quick to put you on a corrective action or performance improvement plan (we called it customer care retention plan). It seemed as soon as you were able to apply internally to get out of the department, you were put on either one, which then you weren't allowed to apply again for another 6 months. Once on these corrective action plans or performance improvement plans, you were on eggshells. They are ready to fire at will. Look at the turnover in the last year, it's ridiculous. The only way you get out of the department is by luck, played office politics with management well enough, or have enough friends in other departments that can recommend you. This is most certainly not a meritocracy.

Advice to Management

Look at the management for the Customer Care and Support teams, they are a huge reason why you are having massive turnover, unhappy employees, etc.

Management Issues + No Culture = No Growth

Former Employee - Content Technician in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Content Technician in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Rosetta Stone (Less than a year)

Pros

-Work from home whenever you'd like. -Unlimited vacation. -Autonomy -Decent compensation.

Cons

-Managers have no idea what they're doing. -Prepare for monthly changes from the CEO down. If you're part of a small team, prepare to get re-purposed. -There is no culture. -Most people are there for a year and leave. -Ageist and rude workforce in SF. If you don't have kids, don't even bother trying to build a relationship with anyone. You'll just get ostracized. -Anyone used to Startup culture...run. These people are afraid of change. -No upward mobility. -They don't hire/promote within the company. Prepare for new (and clueless) management to take over.

Advice to Management

Stop making changes every quarter. You have to follow through with a plan for it to work, not abandon it halfway through.

hmmm... yeah, really not a good company

Former Employee - Web Developer in Harrisonburg, VA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Harrisonburg, VA

I worked at Rosetta Stone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Casual dress policy. It wasn't unusual to see the CIO in shorts and flip flops in summer.

Cons

The currently leadership is driving the company off the cliff thanks to a series of mis guided product/company acquisitions and poor profit results. Don't take my word for it. Rosetta Stone (stock ticker RST) is a publicly traded company... Look at the performance of the S&P, NASDAQ and DOW over the last 12 months and then see RST's flatlined/declined performance growth against that. This is a company that will be lucky if it's still around in a year's time. If you'e considering RST as a career it may very well be a short lived one.

Advice to Management

Promote people who actually do their job well, rather than individuals who instead shower you with attention.

Horrible leadership

Former Employee - Content Writer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Content Writer in Washington, DC

I worked at Rosetta Stone full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some flexibility in hours possible, as more work will likely be forced to completion. No work life balance for some and no work at all for others, just taking advantage. New executive came wit friends and fired everyone, without assessments.

Cons

Unfortunately this company has been suffering the leadership issues with wrong decision making. Every time it went wrong, people who actually knew tasks were also fired and more expensive consultants and managers were brought in.

Advice to Management

Consider keeping good quality people and do not hire someone who does not know the business of this category. Evaluate and promote in-house people who knows tasks as core, and use consultant to help as sparks or cut cost. Getting rid of people and getting others who can do similar jobs badly or slowly in twice more salary - this is counterproductive and harmful for stock and company existence.

Typical corporate structure with typical office politics.

Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Harrisonburg, VA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Representative in Harrisonburg, VA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are excellent, but you usually can find that at most companies.

Cons

Rosetta Stone has increasingly become more corporate since I first arrived. In my department, you are expected to meet ridiculous QA and productivity goals. A lot of opportunities to move up in company, if you have played the typical corporate politics. Definitely not a meritocracy. It just depends on who you know. I am sure most of management got in their positions of power the same. Incompetent management. Definitely a feeling of a class system between departments as well. I feel like a second rate employee within my department even though I regularly am one of the most productive agents, just because I do not play the fake corporate politics game. And then on top of that, my department seems to be considered a second rate department. Also, communication is horrid between departments.

Advice to Management

Low level management and mid level management needs to be re accessed. My department has had a lot of turnover in the last year, especially 6 months, and most of that is because of the bipolar nature of our expectations and policy, management's favoritism of particular employees, policy not being administered evenly, and just the negative atmosphere management has created and sustained. The only way to advance within the company is to best buddies with your supervisor and be a yes man. Nobody wants to speak up because they fear repercussions and not being able to advance. But most people just quit or get put on PIPs and CARs to be forced to leave or not advance.

Good people... that's about it

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Time off policy is very nice - Tuition reimbursement is fairly generous as well - People are generally smart, good at their jobs & friendly. Most people have good intentions. - Bagel Fridays are always a nice perk

Cons

- No work life balance & people will take advantage of you. If you give them a hand they'll take the whole arm, but won't help you when you need it. - No management training and no upward feedback. You could have a good boss, or you could have an awful one and there's nothing you can do about it. - There are opportunities to move around in the company, but you will not be offered fair pay. Recently someone was hired straight from college for a position that is lower than mine, and is making more than me- because of the team I started on, and the fact that I moved within the company. - There is no focus. Priorities are constantly shifting so there's a lot (a lot!) of time and energy wasted

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees: - Ask for their feedback and actually listen to it. - Pay people what they're worth, or they will leave - Stop taking advantage of your hardest workers. They will leave, and you'll have a hard time finding people who will work as hard as them. - Stop rewarding the people who do nothing. There is nothing more demotivating than when someone who is all talk is promoted, while his/her teammates who do their work and fix their mistakes are forgotten.

Death spiral

Current Employee - Developer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Developer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's just not worth it.

Cons

The company is bleeding talent due to an outdated business model and poor outlook. Upper management is old and can't see the future.

Advice to Management

Take

Avoid it....

I worked at Rosetta Stone full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was a great place to work before the so called "transformation". The executives still say that it is in the "middle" of "transformation". Hopefully it creates a nice environment. I am not very optimistic though.

Cons

The people who came for the "transformation" and the people that they have brought to achieve the "transformation" has left the company in the "middle" of "transformation". I feel like it is a ship with a "don't know what to do" captain without the vital crew!

Advice to Management

Stop consuming the people who brought the company to these days and the cash they built in 20+ years. I am not sure what will be left soon!

RSS Feed </> Embed