Rosetta Stone

Updated September 16, 2014
3.2

Rosetta Stone President & CEO Stephen Swad
Stephen Swad

Pros
  • Learn a language at work-you have access to all 31 languages at work and at home (in 9 reviews)

• Great product and co-workers committed to language learning (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • communication from upper management not always the most clear (in 28 reviews)

• Communication from Upper Management, Work/Life balance (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Product

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time

Pros

Smart People, Great Benefits, Good Culture, awesome PTO policy and great room to grow

Cons

Management doesn't always know what they are doing.

Company is having a hard time staying relevant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time for more than a year

Pros

feel good mission, smart caring co-workers, good work-life-balance with lots of opportunities to work from home. Lately there is focus on employee morale and retention.

Cons

Developing new products that push boundaries and are truly innovative is nearly impossible with the current structure. Communication across departments is very poor and leads to misunderstandings and slow progress. Not enough collaboration.

Hire experts to make product/feature decisions in their areas of expertise. Embrace innovation and collaboration and seek it out in all parts of the company - not just senior management.

Dysfunctional

Current Employee - Finance  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Finance in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay is ok, benefits are standard and co-workers were great.

Cons

There was a "cover your behind" mentality in my team which was very disheartening. My Manager was new and under-qualified for the job, she made up for this by spreading rumors, chastising people in public for real or perceived wrongs and having a clique around her. Not even in high school did I see anything like this. Since Management only listened to her, you were "doomed" if you were not in her good graces and she was not afraid to lie. Most team members suck up to this woman and then whisper behind her back.

There were constant lay offs and rehiring for the same positions. It is expensive and makes no sense.

The company is not really good with professional development, in my team, it was used to compensate the "in crowd".

Communicate with your employees and when people voice their concerns don't penalize them for it. Feedback from the people on the front lines is very important

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hope things are getting better now

Former Employee - Language Consultant
    Former Employee - Language Consultant

I worked at Rosetta Stone part-time

Pros

My time at RS was good overall. I worked as a sales associate alongside some awesome people and my managers were always friendly and helpful. I also loved being able to use the program on the job and meeting so many new people.

Cons

Unfortunately, my position no longer exists. The retail program has been disbanded and they are now focusing primarily on their online business instead of retail. Towards the end, communication with upper management was sparse and poor and sales goals were increasingly unreasonable, making the previously awesome commission almost unreachable.

At the time, there was definitely little room for advancement. Better pay depended on commissions. That wasn't a problem for me since I only worked there part-time while attending college college.

I'm sure managing a global retail store program was extremely challenging. Hopefully those resources can be put toward continuing to improve the product performance. I remember that Version 4 was bloated and hard to run on many computers so hopefully it will be easier to make updates to the product now.

So-so experience; pros and cons for sure

Former Employee - Studio Coach  in  Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Studio Coach in Arlington, VA

I worked at Rosetta Stone part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you love learning languages, the discounts on products as well as free classes in the language you want are great. Some of the coworkers were really great people.

Cons

I had a pretty poor manager who didn't communicate well with me and prevented me from getting a promotion without my knowledge for a couple of years (!). Had she talked to me about her concerns, I could have cleared up a miscommunication and prevented all of this from happenings. I found it a bit petty and unprofessional. Her team believed her 100% and I never had a chance to address the issue; I wasted a couple years applying for promotions within the company and feel that it held me back in my career trajectory. I only found out by accident in casual discussion that this is what had happened. I was pretty upset and glad to leave the company.

I asked for a raise after 2.5 years, after consistently great teaching reviews. I was told I was getting paid more than new people brought on in my position, so no. I didn't see what that had to with a raise after 2.5 years and found it pretty cheap--I wasn't being paid particularly well to start.

The first year I was invited to the company Christmas party with the rest of my team. After that we were no longer invited because it was too expensive. I found that pretty repulsive to exclude employees from attending a Christmas party. We got nothing after that.

Lesson Authoring

I worked at Rosetta Stone as a contractor

Pros

Flexibility (job is remote), experience gain while working another job, available feedback from project managers, lots of resources, opportunity for pay increase--as more lessons are authored, payment per lesson increases as you author more lessons.

Cons

Payment is per lesson rather than hourly. Training is provided, but since there is a learning curve to start, you spend quite a bit of time getting used to the authoring style. Since payment is per lesson, the rate is not very competitive to start for hours committed. This should balance out as you get better at authoring and are paid more per lesson.

Weirdest Job Ever

Former Employee - Corporate Sales
    Former Employee - Corporate Sales

I worked at Rosetta Stone full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cool product, great people, incredible name recognition.

Cons

Competition between retail sales and corporate sales caused real issues with how to market and sell a great product.

Spin off corporate from retail.

Excellent!

Current Employee - Spanish Tutor  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Spanish Tutor in Miami, FL

I have been working at Rosetta Stone part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent people. Great tools. Opportunity to grow.

Cons

Knowledge of the language and be friendly and helpful in life sessions.

Good place to work....

Current Employee - Director  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits, office, some senior leadership, possibilities for future success. Pay is on par with market and there is a great open door policy for the executive team.

Cons

Future is uncertain with product enhancements and moving away from CDs to mobile, web and kids products. Hopefully we can deliver against our goals and profit from the success.

Communicate, communicate, communicate....

I was an ESL coach there for about 7 months.

I worked at Rosetta Stone part-time for less than a year

Pros

The students are awesome and love learning......
    Might be great if you are entry level.

Cons

Management changed too much and they didn't pay very well. Lots of work and running around with little incentive to be fully present. Why? because your not treated like a professional you are treated like a entry level employee that knows nothing. ...I had a master degree and had to dumb down constantly which caused me to become very bored, very quickly ...no health care, got yelled at for working over 30 hours. I was accused of "insubordination" for no reason. i suspect I was threat of some sort. My students loved my class but my hands where tied to give them more learning opportunity.

Get over your selves.

Worked for Rosetta Stone? Contribute to the Community!