Rosetta Stone

Updated September 4, 2014
3.2

Rosetta Stone President & CEO Stephen Swad
Stephen Swad

Pros
  • Learn a language at work-you have access to all 31 languages at work and at home (in 9 reviews)

• Great product and co-workers committed to language learning (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • communication from upper management not always the most clear (in 28 reviews)

• Communication from Upper Management, Work/Life balance (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Constant Changes, but Great Ride

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* Great product and co-workers committed to language learning.
    * The individuals take pride in their performance and ownership of their areas.
    * Good benefits and over time has begun iniating employee friendly policies as far as flexible work schedules and time off.

Cons

* Upper management has been through multiple changes in a relatively short period of time.

There have been a lot of changes in the past couple of years. Brand and direction needs more definition going forward.

Great Company, they take care of you and push work/life/balance

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time

Pros

Really an amazing place to work. I really believe that the company is a good place. It has great benefits which include educational. They work with you to ensure you are not overly stressed but efficient in your job.

Cons

I don't know that I've seen many cons other than training. It is difficult to get training approved for IT certifications unless it is videos or books.

Change the core values of the company back to what they were in 2013 and don't touch them, they are the foundation of the company.

Really like to work for Rosetta Stone

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great team, Chance to learn new technologies and freedom to express your opinions, flexibility in work schedule, exciting challenges to solve

Cons

Lack of Communication between different teams who have to work together

Will like to have more communication from the upper management on what direction we are going

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Demands positivity to stay afloat, but ultimately rewarding

Current Employee - Employee In Product
    Current Employee - Employee In Product

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Recent management changes in Product are for the better
    -Communication with HR has begun to improve in the last year, with faster response and turnaround in hiring
    -Management listens more to employees than in previous years, and are very approachable
    -There is far less isolation of Product from the rest of the business, meaning there is a clearer tie-in between consumer demand and what Product builds to those in Product
    -Good place to work for those that are self-motivated, generally positive, and flexible

Cons

-Compensation from location to location has historically ranged broadly, though it seems this is beginning to change
    -The shift from private to public company left many employees that saw the company as a family in the lurch
    -Fast growth led to a similarly fast dismissal of staff, which left a bad taste in many remaining employees' mouths and has bred many retention problems

Play it straight with those that are here. Be real and honest when there are problems, and listen to the solutions that those who work here provide. Also, please make sure that employees get perks. They work long hours to keep this company going and deserve some solid consideration, more than they've gotten in the past.

Advice to employees:
    If you don't like working here and are convinced that it will never change no matter what you do, just leave. There's no reason to poison the well.

The best and worst place i ever worked

I worked at Rosetta Stone

Pros

moves fast. great room for personal career and skill growth.

Cons

immature emotional management team. Tons of under qualified ex-AOLers working there.

So far so good!

Current Employee - Director of Curriculum  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director of Curriculum in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love the people and the autonomy and authority I have to get stuff done. Our products are constantly evolving to make a better experience for learners. My colleagues and I are working together to make the production process better, easier, more efficient.

Cons

There's still some disconnect between the "old guard" and the "newbies" -- we're working on it with improved communication and process. It's hard for a company to absorb so many new people so quickly, and it'll take time.

Give us the resources we need and we'll get the job done! Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

A Fun Family with Terrible Parents

Former Employee - Software Testing Analyst  in  Harrisonburg, VA
    Former Employee - Software Testing Analyst in Harrisonburg, VA

I worked at Rosetta Stone part-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy-going, fun-loving co-workers who are committed to getting the job done. A yearly company picnic and miscellaneous company events went a long way to keeping morale up.

Cons

Project managers were constantly handing down impossible deadlines and were inflexible to change when roadblocks were impacted. Waiting far too long to let go of old ideas and products to develop new ones and an unwillingness to truly innovate for new products. A failure to increase pay over multiple years for anyone working in the trenches to develop the product beyond a basic cost of living increase, and a few star employees getting little more than that.

Work with your developers to come up with realistic deadlines. Keep up the company-wide events. Hold on to the ideas that made Rosetta Stone great but let go of the older products that are holding you back. Find some new advertising tactics beyond the constant 20% off deals. Pay people competitively.

Some pros but way too many cons

Former Employee - Product Manager  in  Harrisonburg, VA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Harrisonburg, VA

I worked at Rosetta Stone full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's exciting to be part of a brand that is a household name that people recognize when you tell them you work there.

Cons

The company has a revolving door with employees being hired and fired daily. it's hard to feel a team spirit when you don't know how long someone is going to be working with you. Also, the product has saturated the market.

Good one

I worked at Rosetta Stone

Pros

Convenience of Working from home

Cons

More on site training is needed

Great Product, terrible employer

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time for more than a year

Pros

Teaching people about language. Discounted and Free software for employees

Cons

Treated employees terribly. Low pay, did not adhere to labor laws.

Train regional managers better

Rosetta Stone Photos

Worked for Rosetta Stone? Contribute to the Community!