Rosetta Stone

Updated September 4, 2014
3.2

Rosetta Stone President & CEO Stephen Swad
Stephen Swad

Pros
  • Learn a language at work-you have access to all 31 languages at work and at home (in 9 reviews)

• Great product and co-workers committed to language learning (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • communication from upper management not always the most clear (in 28 reviews)

• Communication from Upper Management, Work/Life balance (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Extremely rewarding for me / Management needs to not loose site of the prize

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The opportunity to participate in motivating other's growth. Language is amazing, and watching it transform lives is incomparable to anything else in the world.

Cons

The message internally that what we do is never enough.

Agree, get along, keep your disagreements with each other off the floor. Recognize and reward passion.

Terrible place to work in every aspect.

Former Employee - Principal Engineering Program Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Engineering Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Rosetta Stone full-time for less than a year

Pros

Employee handbook offers a ton of benefits, perks; but will NEVER be able to take advantage of any

Cons

Everything....
    Employee handbook perks included automatic 3 wks/year vacation renewed at 1st of year. If exiting company, this now becomes prorated.
    401K contribution not eligible until after 3 months on job.
    Dont believe cash out of comp time will never happen.
    Management will arbitrarily create goals which can NEVER be met and a very short (less than 1 week) timeline to be successful
    Can easily be blindsided by fabricated comments contrary to direct feedback from day-to-day interaction.
    Management is disingenuous and untrustworthy both strategically and tactically

Sack the current product and program management leadership and find some people who actually know how to turn a company around in the new cloud economy.

Great Company! Great Benefits!

Current Employee - Manager  in  Harrisonburg, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Harrisonburg, VA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits, great product, always looking at the bigger picture, a company that cares about their employees, fair compensation based on location

Cons

Communication from Upper Management, Work/Life balance

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to grow and learn

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Uniquely driven by both market AND mission, Rosetta Stone has enabled me to grow as a business person while preserving the passion for global education that brought me here in the first place. Especially with the company's 2013 acquisition spree, opportunities to develop new skills are currently expanding faster than we've seen in a long time.

Cons

We have employee discounts, but they are limited to only a few per year.

Continue to practice what you preach - we love hearing about our leaders' personal stories of language learning success.

Like working in the middle of a sorority party. Without the fun.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time

Pros

The office is the near the metro. Walk in the other direction.

Cons

Business is very clearly going downhill. The environment is the most unprofessionaI have ever witnessed -- extremely noisy, catty, no one seems to know what is going on. Work grinds to a halt because it is not funneled properly. Employees frequently (about 80% of the time -- no joke) act like they are at a college party -- screaming, singing, dancing, laughing, joking. It amazes me anyone gets any work done here. The work is highly repetitive and the brand voice is dull, unimaginative and outdated. There is a lot of backstabbing and trying to get honest feedback here is a battle you won't win.

Get your employees under control. Hire sufficient people to do the task properly and stop buying loser companies with no future. Try to get a grasp on how to generate revenue in a realistic way rather than by aggravating your customers with more and more fees. You are making yourselves look desperate.

Great company to work for

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time

Pros

I work for the company for almost 4 years. It feels so fulfilling to work for the company which has a product you really believe in! And I am just glad that Rosetta (with my little help) can unite so many people throughout the world by language learning. Great benefits, a lot of paid vacation time.

Cons

not enough communication between departments of RS

Great communication with direct management, but almost no communication with senior management.

Awesome company gone bad fast

Former Employee - Content Editor  in  Harrisonburg, VA
    Former Employee - Content Editor in Harrisonburg, VA

I worked at Rosetta Stone full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Depending on the position, most of the people you work with are awesome - smart, very creative, and fun.

Cons

- The board and executives have no idea what they want the company to develop. The program has not been improved or changed since 2007 and have only been reused in different apps/products.

- The company lost its values and have changed from being focused on providing amazing language learning solutions to making as much money as possible with the old, 'flawed' product by reusing it in different forms.

- My team has worked on several awesome projects only to be rejected and put on backlogs by the senior management. So valuable time and effort is not valued.

- The average employees are not valued and are replaced by contractors or other people in other locations. The management doesn't listen to suggestions and does not communicate with the average employees. There's definitely a favoritism involved, depending on which office you're located in and what position you hold.

Please, please, please listen to and respect your employees.

Great opportunities and friendly people, but there's more below the surface than you may think.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Harrisonburg, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisonburg, VA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are very helpful and understanding. Expectations are laid out. Growth possibilities within the company are endless. You have the opportunity to choose a language you'd like to learn and pursue it.

Cons

People tend to appear friendly and personable but oftentimes are fake or not genuine. While expectations are laid out, they change quickly and sometimes its difficult to keep up. Growth possibilities may be endless, but its very hard to get an interview in the first place.

Delegate. Make sure your supervisors are trusted enough to know what's going on so that those working under the supervisors feel like they know what they're doing. If upper management doesn't spell out what's expected from below, then things below will not work smoothly.

Great, until we got laid off!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Rosetta Stone part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy going job, flexible for students like myself, able to access all languages.

Cons

Very unstable, constant changes, no communication from upper management, laid off with a 5 day notification.

Find a way to make this work, its a great product.

RS cannot get out of its own way.

I worked at Rosetta Stone full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The camaraderie and support of peers is excellent, its collaborative and energetic.

Cons

Upper management silos all departments and this results in changes that are never communicated. Client-facing staff are not informed of policy and product changes that directly impact the customers- some of which are 100K+ enterprise clients. Client needs are ignored and development leads the product suite, rather than market needs. Decisions are ego driven.

Cut out 50% of the middle managers. Allow employee voices to be heard. Create a legitimate product that can be assessed on third party standards.

Worked for Rosetta Stone? Contribute to the Community!