Rosetta Stone Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

3.1

Rosetta Stone President & CEO Stephen Swad
Stephen Swad

Pros
  • Learn a language at work-you have access to all 31 languages at work and at home (in 9 reviews)

• Great product and co-workers committed to language learning (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • communication from upper management not always the most clear (in 28 reviews)

• Communication from Upper Management, Work/Life balance (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to grow and learn

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Uniquely driven by both market AND mission, Rosetta Stone has enabled me to grow as a business person while preserving the passion for global education that brought me here in the first place. Especially with the company's 2013 acquisition spree, opportunities to develop new skills are currently expanding faster than we've seen in a long time.

Cons

We have employee discounts, but they are limited to only a few per year.

Continue to practice what you preach - we love hearing about our leaders' personal stories of language learning success.

Like working in the middle of a sorority party. Without the fun.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time

Pros

The office is the near the metro. Walk in the other direction.

Cons

Business is very clearly going downhill. The environment is the most unprofessionaI have ever witnessed -- extremely noisy, catty, no one seems to know what is going on. Work grinds to a halt because it is not funneled properly. Employees frequently (about 80% of the time -- no joke) act like they are at a college party -- screaming, singing, dancing, laughing, joking. It amazes me anyone gets any work done here. The work is highly repetitive and the brand voice is dull, unimaginative and outdated. There is a lot of backstabbing and trying to get honest feedback here is a battle you won't win.

Get your employees under control. Hire sufficient people to do the task properly and stop buying loser companies with no future. Try to get a grasp on how to generate revenue in a realistic way rather than by aggravating your customers with more and more fees. You are making yourselves look desperate.

Great company to work for

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time

Pros

I work for the company for almost 4 years. It feels so fulfilling to work for the company which has a product you really believe in! And I am just glad that Rosetta (with my little help) can unite so many people throughout the world by language learning. Great benefits, a lot of paid vacation time.

Cons

not enough communication between departments of RS

Great communication with direct management, but almost no communication with senior management.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Product, terrible employer

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time for more than a year

Pros

Teaching people about language. Discounted and Free software for employees

Cons

Treated employees terribly. Low pay, did not adhere to labor laws.

Train regional managers better

Awesome company gone bad fast

Former Employee - Content Editor  in  Harrisonburg, VA
    Former Employee - Content Editor in Harrisonburg, VA

I worked at Rosetta Stone full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Depending on the position, most of the people you work with are awesome - smart, very creative, and fun.

Cons

- The board and executives have no idea what they want the company to develop. The program has not been improved or changed since 2007 and have only been reused in different apps/products.

- The company lost its values and have changed from being focused on providing amazing language learning solutions to making as much money as possible with the old, 'flawed' product by reusing it in different forms.

- My team has worked on several awesome projects only to be rejected and put on backlogs by the senior management. So valuable time and effort is not valued.

- The average employees are not valued and are replaced by contractors or other people in other locations. The management doesn't listen to suggestions and does not communicate with the average employees. There's definitely a favoritism involved, depending on which office you're located in and what position you hold.

Please, please, please listen to and respect your employees.

Great opportunities and friendly people, but there's more below the surface than you may think.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Harrisonburg, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisonburg, VA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time for less than a year

Pros

People are very helpful and understanding. Expectations are laid out. Growth possibilities within the company are endless. You have the opportunity to choose a language you'd like to learn and pursue it.

Cons

People tend to appear friendly and personable but oftentimes are fake or not genuine. While expectations are laid out, they change quickly and sometimes its difficult to keep up. Growth possibilities may be endless, but its very hard to get an interview in the first place.

Delegate. Make sure your supervisors are trusted enough to know what's going on so that those working under the supervisors feel like they know what they're doing. If upper management doesn't spell out what's expected from below, then things below will not work smoothly.

Great, until we got laid off!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Rosetta Stone part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy going job, flexible for students like myself, able to access all languages.

Cons

Very unstable, constant changes, no communication from upper management, laid off with a 5 day notification.

Find a way to make this work, its a great product.

It was a great place to get my foot in the door.

Current Employee - Archiver for Marketing Creative  in  Harrisonburg, VA
    Current Employee - Archiver for Marketing Creative in Harrisonburg, VA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Fast pace, impossible deadlines and little direction

Cons

Fast pace, impossible deadlines and little direction

Provide direction on expectation of assigned task

Great opportunities and learning experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Harrisonburg, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harrisonburg, VA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- It's a great place to get your foot in the door and can then move into a role that may better fit you, or can get you a lot of experience because you will always be multi-tasking and working with other teams.
    - Co-workers are fantastic, RS does a fantastic job of getting good people in the door.
    - Job is ever-changing, once you start to get bored with one part it's usually time to change.
    - Company is very encouraging regarding movement to new roles in same or different departments. It's all about getting people more exposure and into the right position.
    - Fun activities to keep up company morale happen occasionally, like sponsored lunches, softball games, etc.

Cons

- While keeping a role new and exciting, sometimes the constant change can be tumultuous, seeming to be changing just for the sake of changing.
    - Recently, upper management has had a lot of change over which can make anyone uncomfortable in their position
    - Frequently, feedback is asked for but it never seems to be put into place
    - Little employee recognition for hard work
    - Pay is not as high as it should be for most positions

Show more appreciation for the employees you have. Communicate better about what is going on at a higher level. Take employee feedback more seriously.

Great environment

Current Employee - Director  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great management team that are open to new ideas and thinking.

Cons

As the company evolves and expand some areas need larger teams.

Worked for Rosetta Stone? Contribute to the Community!