Rosetta Stone

Employer Engaged

Studio Coach

Former Employee - Studio Coach
    Former Employee - Studio Coach

I worked at Rosetta Stone part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work from home. Talk to people from all over the world. Great product.

Cons

Compensations is pretty low. No benefits.

Smart people, terrible B2B company

I worked at Rosetta Stone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are still a few people there who truly care about the end user and continue to try incorporate some semblance of customer service. You do have fun, lots of funny smart and interesting people from around the world.
    Learning the language is awesome!

Cons

Endless circles for years and years regarding new product, but still have to sell the same old same old to all users. No one appears to have any power to change things, from the President to managers. Lot's of talk, no action or loyalty. New upper management discounts everything in order to sell which makes us look bad.
    Tons and tons and tons of internal politics- everyone is trying to kiss someone's behind-if you don't, life sucks for you. HR is a joke

Merge or sell to a strong global learning B2B company.

Good company full of great people but feels stagnant and monotonous at times

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Rosetta Stone as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules
    Intelligent and motivated colleagues

Cons

Not a lot of room for career growth
    No raises or benefits for long-term contract employees

Death spiral

Current Employee - Developer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Developer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's just not worth it.

Cons

The company is bleeding talent due to an outdated business model and poor outlook. Upper management is old and can't see the future.

Take

Remote working online studio coach

Current Employee - Remote Studio Coach
    Current Employee - Remote Studio Coach

I have been working at Rosetta Stone part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work is easy and stress free. The students you get to coach are interesting and good to work with.

Cons

Erratic workload and poor information from management. Eg I was told that a new teaching phase would start in Dec. January came and went, the months rolled by, still with no work, then finally in May I was asked to work very early mornings at weekends. No idea how it will all work out as I am being told that more work will come along soon. Beginning not to believe anything I'm told. When working remotely there is no opportunity to know what is going on within the company.

Treat your remote workers with the respect they deserve, they are the customer face of your product. Allowing us access to the company intranet would be a great start and allow us to know more of what was going on in the company.

Former Great Company

Former Employee - IT Director in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - IT Director in Arlington, VA

I worked at Rosetta Stone full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Small company feel with larger company funding. Able to do lots of great things at once and really help people with the products we sold.

Cons

Lack of market focus and drive for short term investor returns drove the company to go public. Worst mistake they made. Relied too heavily on academic view of language learning and not on what people actually wanted to pay for. Going public made the investors a lot of money, but the organization was not ready - lots of mistakes and missteps created an instant culture of cost cutting as a method to try and save things. Real shame.

Dysfunctional

Current Employee - Finance in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Finance in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay is ok, benefits are standard and co-workers were great.

Cons

There was a "cover your behind" mentality in my team which was very disheartening. My Manager was new and under-qualified for the job, she made up for this by spreading rumors, chastising people in public for real or perceived wrongs and having a clique around her. Not even in high school did I see anything like this. Since Management only listened to her, you were "doomed" if you were not in her good graces and she was not afraid to lie. Most team members suck up to this woman and then whisper behind her back.

There were constant lay offs and rehiring for the same positions. It is expensive and makes no sense.

The company is not really good with professional development, in my team, it was used to compensate the "in crowd".

Communicate with your employees and when people voice their concerns don't penalize them for it. Feedback from the people on the front lines is very important

Product

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time

Pros

Smart People, Great Benefits, Good Culture, awesome PTO policy and great room to grow

Cons

Management doesn't always know what they are doing.

Company is having a hard time staying relevant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Rosetta Stone full-time (more than a year)

Pros

feel good mission, smart caring co-workers, good work-life-balance with lots of opportunities to work from home. Lately there is focus on employee morale and retention.

Cons

Developing new products that push boundaries and are truly innovative is nearly impossible with the current structure. Communication across departments is very poor and leads to misunderstandings and slow progress. Not enough collaboration.

Hire experts to make product/feature decisions in their areas of expertise. Embrace innovation and collaboration and seek it out in all parts of the company - not just senior management.

Hope things are getting better now

Former Employee - Language Consultant
    Former Employee - Language Consultant

I worked at Rosetta Stone part-time

Pros

My time at RS was good overall. I worked as a sales associate alongside some awesome people and my managers were always friendly and helpful. I also loved being able to use the program on the job and meeting so many new people.

Cons

Unfortunately, my position no longer exists. The retail program has been disbanded and they are now focusing primarily on their online business instead of retail. Towards the end, communication with upper management was sparse and poor and sales goals were increasingly unreasonable, making the previously awesome commission almost unreachable.

At the time, there was definitely little room for advancement. Better pay depended on commissions. That wasn't a problem for me since I only worked there part-time while attending college college.

I'm sure managing a global retail store program was extremely challenging. Hopefully those resources can be put toward continuing to improve the product performance. I remember that Version 4 was bloated and hard to run on many computers so hopefully it will be easier to make updates to the product now.

Rosetta Stone Photos