Ross Medical Education Center

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
1.8

George Grayeb

Growing, expanding and changing lives!!!

I have been working at Ross Medical Education Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In my 5 years working here at Ross, we have gone from 19 to 31 campuses and still have more opening. The company has grown so much and so have I. Having passion for your work and helping people succeed in life is what sets Ross apart from "just a job". Working at Ross you can make a difference and going to work everyday matters to the students and potential students. We are always changing, testing new ways trying to be more efficient at everything.

Cons

There is no 9-5 or just a job with Ross. This isn't a Con for me but for some people that want to clock in and out it would be. Heavy reporting.

Our management team doesn't know what an 8-4:30 day looks like. Even people here at Ross do not understand how much they work and put into the company to make it successful. Normal day for Management is more like 8-8 and then some. Not including travel, reports, and training prep. My Advice to management is take the time to talk to students and employees.

Solicitation/Micromanagement

Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at Ross Medical Education Center part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They start you off at 10.00/hr for the position I have (call center rep) and for a part time position give you almost full time hours, at least 24-32. They always have people quitting and seem like they are constantly in need of new employees

Cons

no benefits, extremely hesitant to promote people to full time status so they can receive benefits, if you call in or are late even 1 min up to 6 times you're immediately fired, no raises or opportunity to advance, very strict about all rules and watched very closely, sometimes the manager will literally come stand behind you for chunks of time to watch you, very strange

consider making raises available for employees who meet or exceed expectations

So sad!

Former Employee - Director in Granger, IN
    Former Employee - Director in Granger, IN

I worked at Ross Medical Education Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No weekends and learn to maneuver an abrasive non satisfying group of leaders! Great place to get experience - put on resume an get out.

Cons

Too many to list but it starts at the top. Not trusting the team is a problem. When you look at history you learn that all "great" leaders that became paranoid to not trust their team or network: they fall. The atmosphere of "throw someone; anyone under the bus, anyone but me" is rampant. The need to get an enrollment at all costs effects everyone, the need to have perfect retention costs everyone, if you failed the first time - we will just bring you back is deplorable.
    The pay is entry level at best and advancement, although available does not increase your wage enough for what you will face 12-14 hour days, lots of travel and only 2% cola, just not worth it.

Incentive raises for winning teams, 40 hr work weeks mandatory or comp time. Better health and vacation benefits!

Ethically and Morally Unbalanced

I have been working at Ross Medical Education Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No weekends or major holidays (except the ones that certain staff have to work so that Ross doesn't miss out on a $60 registration fee), Faculty and Staff are supportive because we are all in the same boat. Other than that, there are no Pros.

Cons

This institution is a successful scam! The means in which they con students into enrolling is borderline fraud. There is a culture of bullying and belittling and it is rampant. I hear Admissions reps on the phone with prospective students and they sound pathetic because they have been pushed to desperation by the RDOA and company. They are in tears on a regular basis due to the verbal abuse administered by admissions on the Corporate level. I have watched the FA rep about kill herself trying to process paperwork that is basically a workload for an entire office of FA reps. Not to mention the constant struggling to get students to make their monthly payments. The only support from Corporate is, "refer to your training" like some robotized zombie. Well, Corporate, the pretty little power-points don't always fit the circumstance of the here and now! Career Services is another area that is seriously under-staffed and over worked. The overall morale of the campus environment - ranging from students to staff and faculty is less than POOR. There is game playing, word twisting, number fudging, etc happening at least on the campus level and i would imagine that is because of Corporate/VP pressure. Working for Ross is like playing with loaded dice....you are never, ever going to roll the right number. It starts at corporate and it trickles down. I see amazing directors and VP's struggle between good and evil - but for some reason choose to stay loyal to a company that will screw them every chance it gets. There are no raises...just COLA which is a few more cents an hour....but nothing based on merit. That, alone is deception because during recruitment it is made clear that there are annual RAISES - they don't specify that it is an obligated cost of living adjustment that they toss to you like a piece of rotten meat to a half dead dog. A lot of lifetime is eaten up by the workplace - and trying to justify time that i can never get back taken by a place so foul is a hard pill to swallow.

Pack it up and go home...or duck and cover...whichever you choose; because your practices can't sustain you forever. Aren't you afraid of a class action lawsuit? Or, are you just one millimeter over the line of acceptable practices to avoid catastrophe? Yep, that's probably it. Sad.

Numbers! Numbers! Numbers!

I have been working at Ross Medical Education Center (more than an year)

Pros

Only gratification is seeing students obtain employment in their respective fields and being able to support themselves and their families.

Cons

ADMISSIONS is horrible!! Their only concern is numbers! They do not care about the students...they will lie and deceive the student and their families as long as they sign the enrollment agreement. They harass and badger people with phone calls even AFTER the student has made it very clear that they can't afford it; don't have a babysitter; have transportation issues...THEY DO NOT CARE!!! They just herd them in like cattle. It's bad when you have some managers who do nothing but scream and holler at the staff and belittles them on every conference call. Management must have 10 conference calls a day..WHY???? Staff are constantly on edge because we don't know when we might get thrown under the bus or out the door!! Have seen it happen and its not a pretty picture. Campuses are under staffed and under trained, but you are still expected to do your job and somebody else's even though you have NO IDEA WHAT THE DEVIL YOU ARE DOING!!! They can't find people to fill the open positions because word is out in our city that Ross is NOT the place you want to be. The Admissions staff are coniving, rude, nasty, liars and distrustful, but who cares as long as you get 'em in the door by ANY MEANS NECESSARY!!! WOW!! Bad benefits, no paid holidays for pt employees, hours change at managements convenience.

We have lost some awesome employees because of the above.. WAKE UP AND TAKE CARE OF YOUR EMPLOYEES!!!! Update your training procedures...what's the point of sitting for an hour while someone reads the powerpoint slides...DUH!! We can do that and ask questions if need be.

fast paced, micro-managed, but there is potential to move up quickly

Former Employee - Director of Admisions in Morgantown, WV
    Former Employee - Director of Admisions in Morgantown, WV

I worked at Ross Medical Education Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

opportunities for advancement, great job if you enjoy working with clients and watching them excel, benefits were decient.

Cons

Not enough of training, stressful. The admissions department has to make 300+ outgoing calls a day plus perform regular duties. You are instructed to call individuals 3 times a day until they set an appointment or say specifically "Do Not Call".

Offer more training to new employees and not just motivational training but training on how to do the actual job. Better advertisement so more people are aware of the school and what is offered to them. Ross is a great school and I would recommend it to anyone as a student. The business model just needs to be updated.

Instructor

Former Employee - Medical Assisting Instructor in Granger, IN
    Former Employee - Medical Assisting Instructor in Granger, IN

I worked at Ross Medical Education Center part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are not many
    . Weekends off, pretty easy job. A few students succeeded. Other instructors were nice and helpful.

Cons

Everything, from poor management, most of the classroom time was watching movies at the Granger campus. The poor students payed all this money to get a certificate and learn nothing.

If everyone is leaving except the campus director, maybe you should look into why??

Terrible

I worked at Ross Medical Education Center

Pros

The ability to help people change their lives

Cons

It's like the high school cafeteria - If you're not one of the "cool kids" ie in the management circle you are subjected to being belittled for appearance, your work, who you eat lunch with, etc. I've never seen anything like it - and it has always been this way.

Ross Medical Education Center puts an emphasis on what is best for their bottom line, not what is best for customers!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niles, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Niles, OH

I worked at Ross Medical Education Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ross pays you just enough to keep you. Some of the teachers really care about the students and give a lot of their own unpaid time to help tutor and mentor students. Some Co-workers are absolutely wonderful people who actually care about their jobs and the students.

Cons

Ross expects most employees to do the jobs of four people as only one person. There is too much emphasis on numbers and the company from the top down promotes an atmosphere of fear and antagonism to obtain results. If results are not meant the company resorts to constant public humiliation of employees on open forum conference calls where they regularly ridicule and shame employees in front of others.

Take a good look in the mirror and realize that change needs to start at the top. The company has lost many great people because they have put so much emphasis on numbers and lost the focus of what is really important, people! The company was a great place to work for when I first started and since new management has taken over it has become corrupt with egotistical bullies!

good school

Former Employee - Student
    Former Employee - Student

I worked at Ross Medical Education Center full-time

Pros

very friendly and a great start to a new life

Cons

It is a full load