Ross Stores

Ross Stores Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Ross Stores Vice Chairman and CEO Michael A. Balmuth

Michael A. Balmuth

Pros:
  • "The employee discount is great on already reasonably priced merchandise"
    in 55 reviews
  • "20% Discount and I met some really nice people the time I was there"
    in 51 reviews
Cons:
  • "Associates work very hard and have outrageous amounts of work to do for just minimum wage"
    in 59 reviews
  • "They told me I was a temporary so I wasn't even considered part time"
    in 39 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good summer job

Cash Office (Former Employee)
    Tomball, TX

ProsThis was a good summer job (would not want to work here for a long time, however). The hours were flexible, my job was simple (once learned), and most of my co-workers were good people. It was a moderately friendly atmosphere. My store manager was incredible, friendly, and on top of her stuff! The other managers were also okay. I thought Ross had a good motivational system in place and that they recognized good staff members was also amazing. Corporate Ross seemed exciting to me, but down at the store level, there was room for improvement.

ConsThe managers did seem to be under a lot of pressure, but I'm not sure if that is just how they dealt with stress or if there really was an extreme amount of pressure. Also, I worked at a new store, and they hired a bunch of people and then later assigned them jobs within the store. As a result, my job required very little hours and I began to work less hours than I had hoped for. This was just a summer job for me, and I only wanted some pocket change for college, and therefore, in the grand scheme of things, I did not mind giving up extra hours to people that couldn't survive off of 10 hours a week. Lastly, I don't think I need to say this, but customers at this store can be especially difficult to deal with...the clientele the store attracts can sometimes lack tact.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know it must be frustrating to work in a place with high turnover rates, but I would still advise managers to be personable and respectful to employees. When I had questions or problems, there were times when the reaction I received was unnecessarily rude.

I like it!

Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Jacksonville, NC

ProsFlexible, great management, love the discount and staying busy

Conslow hours even for part-time, minimum wage and nasty employees

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of negative people!

Great Co-workers. Never enough people scheduled to keep the store nice.

Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsEmployee discount is great and they offer double discount three times per year. Co-workers are nice.

ConsThere are never enough people scheduled to keep the store up. People call out and there work falls on someone else. That someone else does not get to do their projects, thus the store is usually in disarray. Closings go way past scheduled time due to lack of people scheduled. Low pay and poor raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive up some payroll and your stores will look better. Three people to clean a store after closing is ridiculous. Loss Prevention should be scheduled more hours as these stores are where people come to teach their kids to steal.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Friendly employees

ProsYour constantly busy and fun work environment

ConsMinimum wage i didnt have many hours

It is an ok work environment.

Prosgreat the company gives 20 % discount.

Consmicromanaging, favoritism, nepotism, no career development or mentor-ship programs.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in an younger generation and there will no revolving door.

good

Prosnice place to work as a first job

Conslong hours for night shift, minimum wage

Good stepping stone for further advancements.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Jacksonville, NC

ProsTraining was amazing, you get a week, and if you are not so sure or caught up, they will continue to push you until you feel comfortable. If felt more like they were on your time rather than you on theirs. Ross can help you move up in positions if you do a good enough job and complete your tasks on time and do not play around. I was a seasonal hire who eventually became a permanent part-time sales associate then to a key-holder. As long as you are doing your job, there is always room to advance. Also, they take pride in acknowledging their employees for the hard work they do. If you need time off, they are as flexible as they can be especially if you communicate.

ConsIf you request off, sometimes they can be flexible but about 80% of the time, they end up taking your hours away the next week, even if you have a valid reason to be off. The work-life balance is a hassle because they basically do not give you as much time away as you would like. They expect much more out of you than they pay you. So if you are working 30 hours a week+, doing a rock star job and making sales (gift cards) your paycheck does not reflect that. The store is pretty big or at least the one I worked at, and you have to cover ground mostly by yourself, they are not as team-oriented as they claim to be. It's everyone looking out for themselves and turning the other cheek when they see a co-worker in need.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more people working the floor, the stores a beyond big and having one person covering 4 sections is stressful. Also, try promoting within and not just hiring randomly. It takes offense to those who have worked their more than 4 years and never seeing a higher title especially if they deserve it.

Predictable retail environment; good discount, average mgmt.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    State College, PA

Pros- Employees receive a 20% discount on all merchandise and three weeks out of the year (in March, July, & October) they get 40% off all merchandise.
    - Flexible scheduling with days/afternoons/nights/weekends, to be expected with any store open 12 hours at a time.
    - Never "stuck" in one area of the store - you can be trained at register, in the fitting room, processing new merch in the stock room, etc.
    - Managers understand that this is a college town and are very flexible with scheduling around classes/exams.
    - COWORKERS! Some of the most honest people I've ever met work here and make a great work environment. We're ust trying to make a living off of a low-paying job, so you usually can relate well and they're all willing to help.

Cons- Just over minimum wage wage to start out; don't expect this to change much (although every summer you are eligible for a review to get a 10-20 cent hourly raise).
    - Part-timers are capped off at 25 hours due to the company's greed surrounding the ACA. Since average shifts are ~4-5 hrs, sometimes you can get as few as 19 hrs and have to beg to stay late to get as close as you can to 25 hrs to make bills.
    - Management can be catty, work against each other, or spend more time in the office than on the sales floor helping associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementUp your wages and get a company rewards card for big spenders. You'll have a lot more happy employees & customers!

Good people, not so great company to work for...

Assortment Analyst (Former Employee)
    Dublin, CA

Pros- For the most part, the company employs very nice people
    - Benefits and perks are nice (on-site gym, cafeteria, employee discount etc)
    - Work/Life Balance exists if your create it. I witnessed some co-workers allowing their workloads to get the best of them. I did not.

Cons- There did not appear to be very many opportunities for growth in the near future
    - I did not feel equipped to take on this position after undergoing training. The training did not feel thorough enough.
    - Minimal direction is given as if you're supposed to figure everything out on your own when you're new
    - To affect change you have to jump through too many hoops...there's minimal room to really own your areas of responsibility

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to be more involved and invested in the development of the associates who work under them. There is minimal interaction between management and associates and I think creates an uncomfortable work environment.

Corporate america at ross sucks

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Peoria, AZ

ProsLearned retail and met some cool people

ConsHorrible pay, horrible managers. I was driving 30 minutes each way and my raise after a year was like 12 cents

Worked for Ross Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Ross Stores Videos

Ross Stores – Why Work for Us?

​​​BEHIND EVERY BARGAIN​​​ Our customers love a great deal. That makes our mission simple: to provide exciting bargains, every day, in every store. It takes an incredible team of individuals to make that possible… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ross Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ross Stores CEO Michael A. Balmuth. All 785 reviews posted anonymously by Ross Stores employees.