Ross Stores

Ross Stores Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Ross Stores Vice Chairman and CEO Michael A. Balmuth

Michael A. Balmuth

Pros:
  • "The employee discount is great on already reasonably priced merchandise"
    in 55 reviews
  • "20% Discount and I met some really nice people the time I was there"
    in 51 reviews
Cons:
  • "Associates work very hard and have outrageous amounts of work to do for just minimum wage"
    in 59 reviews
  • "They told me I was a temporary so I wasn't even considered part time"
    in 39 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

its a good place to get your foot in the door to get more experience in retail

Retail Associate (Current Employee)
    Surprise, AZ

Prosit helps becoming more of a team player, work with difficult cstomers

Consjust wish their were opportunities to progress in the job instead of once a year

Ross, good place to work, with fun people.

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Tucson, AZ

ProsThe co-workers are very exciting and make the job more enjoyable. As a college student as the time, they were very flexible with balancing school and work. Definitely was good for personal growth, and more responsibilities are given if willing to accept the challenge.

Cons-Customers will in fact trash a section you've spent hour cleaning up, but hey that's retail.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the initiative to introduce yourself, and attempt to get to know your employees to have a better work relationship.

Decent experience for me.

ProsThe discount is pretty good.

ConsThe pay rate is terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery good and caring people.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ross Store Associate

Ross Store Associate (Former Employee)
    Miami, FL

ProsFriendly work environment, Schedule accomodation

ConsPay, the starting pay rate is barely above minimum wage and the pay raises after six months was onlt 10cents increase per hour

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay and pay raises

High Paced Work Environment

ProsExcellence in upper management, training and development

ConsVery little work/life balance. Expectation of excessive work hours

good

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Alcoa, TN

Prosexcellent place for a first job

Consvery little hours,no benefits,no advancement

More of the Same

Loss Prevention Associate (Current Employee)
    Knoxville, TN

Pros--Flexible Scheduling
    --Annual Pay Increases
    --Associates Generally Enoyable to work with

Generally speaking I enjoy working with my assocaites and coworkers, t here are times however where the associate sseem to get bored and have nothing else better to do than to start rumors and drama in which Management in this case is non confrontational and you'll have to make a scene for it to be adressed.

Cons--Monotonous
    --No Room For Advancement
    --Poor Pay, New hires limited to part time
    --Full time is considered a "promotion"
    --Drama

For starters unless you plan on gettign a college degree don't expect to move any further than full time SPS. Area Loss Prevention Manager requires a bachelors degree, and at tat point you're prolly already pursuing something you'll enjoy. The SPS position is essentially the illusion of authority. It is completely against polcy to acuse people of stealing even fi you can verify it with your own two eyes. Your simple there to document nad help mitigate theft without actually making any sort of apprehensions. Probably a good thing since the wage doesn't reflect that, that being said the job itself is for the most part pretty boring. You get paid more than the starting assocaite which is nice, but in order to see full benefits you';; need to be promoted to full time, which is ridiculously rigurous process given the low pay of the position. There are just around 32 hourly assocaites where I work, and of those only 3 are full time. Just something to keep in mind before you go into this.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a training program that may allow for aprehensions of those who are obviously stealing, and of course the training and pay you compensate for this. Also, of your stores are stretched thin, quit being cheap and higher more labor as well as make more room for full time associates. You aren't doing anyone a favor by attempting to keep all labor at part time ot avoid paying health care costs, not even the company itself since there is a constant turn over rate as well as the inabilit yto get shifts covered when people need to call out due to labor constraints. Ross is a huge company, there is ZERO reason why they couldn't afford it.

Dead end Internship

ProsAnyone store management and above is great. Smart people who want to teach you and help you grow. The associates work really hard for minimum wage.

ConsInternship gets you a position as an ASM who is the only person who seems to actually run the employees and DOES NOT require a degree. Store managers spend a lot of time doing big picture work.

Good summer job

Cash Office (Former Employee)
    Tomball, TX

ProsThis was a good summer job (would not want to work here for a long time, however). The hours were flexible, my job was simple (once learned), and most of my co-workers were good people. It was a moderately friendly atmosphere. My store manager was incredible, friendly, and on top of her stuff! The other managers were also okay. I thought Ross had a good motivational system in place and that they recognized good staff members was also amazing. Corporate Ross seemed exciting to me, but down at the store level, there was room for improvement.

ConsThe managers did seem to be under a lot of pressure, but I'm not sure if that is just how they dealt with stress or if there really was an extreme amount of pressure. Also, I worked at a new store, and they hired a bunch of people and then later assigned them jobs within the store. As a result, my job required very little hours and I began to work less hours than I had hoped for. This was just a summer job for me, and I only wanted some pocket change for college, and therefore, in the grand scheme of things, I did not mind giving up extra hours to people that couldn't survive off of 10 hours a week. Lastly, I don't think I need to say this, but customers at this store can be especially difficult to deal with...the clientele the store attracts can sometimes lack tact.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know it must be frustrating to work in a place with high turnover rates, but I would still advise managers to be personable and respectful to employees. When I had questions or problems, there were times when the reaction I received was unnecessarily rude.

Cool job while in school but management had high turnover

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsEmployee discount
    Nice coworkers
    Time flies by

ConsHigh turnover rate among sales associates and management
    Rude customers
    low pay and tiny raises (a max of 35 cents a year)
    Constantly extended store hours!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease do not assign one employee four departments while giving two employees one department. I was constantly overworked while others just stood around talking.

Worked for Ross Stores? Contribute to the Community!

Ross Stores Videos

Ross Stores – Why Work for Us?

​​​BEHIND EVERY BARGAIN​​​ Our customers love a great deal. That makes our mission simple: to provide exciting bargains, every day, in every store. It takes an incredible team of individuals to make that possible… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ross Stores reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Ross Stores CEO Michael A. Balmuth. All 785 reviews posted anonymously by Ross Stores employees.