Ross Stores

2.6
1,151 Reviews

Ross Stores Vice Chairman and CEO Michael A. Balmuth
Michael A. Balmuth

Pros
  • 20% discount throughout the year, with periods during which 40% discount is given to associates (in 75 reviews)

• The employee discount is great on already reasonably priced merchandise (in 69 reviews)

Cons
  • The annual raises are so small that minimum wage increases null them (in 85 reviews)

• The work-life balance is a hassle because they basically do not give you as much time away as you would like (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

sm

I worked at Ross Stores full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

total chaos, lack of integrity, to many bosses, they need to streamline upper management

Cons

Everything, the entire structure needs to be streamlined, all leaders need to share and drive one message across the field. If you like being micro managed, and you dont want a personal life then this job is for you

Watch your back, and journalize everyday All communication

Big Mistake

Former Employee - Sales Associate, Front End Supervisor in Gaithersburg, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate, Front End Supervisor in Gaithersburg, MD

I worked at Ross Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only good thing about the job was the 20 precent employee discount. Sometimes there was the chance of a double discount for employees.

Cons

The managers had no idea what they were doing. Communication between the different leads was nonexistent. The customer service aspect of the store basically meant that the customers should serve themselves, and that the needs of the manager came first. Lastly, the store was so disgusting and never recovered properly. It got to a point that the store was a hazard to employees and customers alike.

My advice would be to the home office and the higher ups in the company. They need to go back and re-evaluate the training of their managers and associates. Checking in on your stores is crucial, if you can't monitor them all and make sure that they are being run properly, maybe it's time to close a few and get back down to a manageable number.

Store Protection Secialist

Current Employee - Store Protection Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Store Protection Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ross Stores

Pros

Your fellow slaves keep you sane.

Cons

As an SPS you are asked to fill out pages and pages of forms, EVERY single day, which takes away from your MAIN duty to watch for suspicious activity and safety issues that impact the customers and your co-workers....in addition to that you are DRILLED, EVERY single morning ( or the start of your shift) by the store manager, on your duties. Every single day you have to speak to the manager as she/he grills you with the same questions. We as SPS's really feel like fools. They treat us like children. We really do need a UNION to represent us.....and believe me we are trying to get together on this. This Co. is just the type that begs for a UNION.

Let the SPS do his/her job. STOP the silly grilling and the ridiculous paper work you make us fill out every shift.

Crazy but informative

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Ross Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learned a lot, ability to move up

Cons

It's a beast. Chew you up and spit you out. Be sure not to make "friends " just keep it business and have a back up.

Keep spitting people out, real employers benefit

Does not support their employees very well

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Ross Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very flexible scheduling
    Can be easy to move up to a higher position or even management
    A 20% employee discount, and occasional 40% off weeks (4 days) for employees
    Great benefits if you're at the management level

Cons

Schedule is flexible because they aggressively cap your hours at no more than 25 per week, and sometimes less
    Depending on the store, there's much favoritism and it can be promoted
    No on-going training, just mindless work
    Extremely high turnover rate and mostly understaffed
    Management does not always back up associates out of fear of a customer calling the corporate office
    Upper management is out of touch with lower-level employees

Follow the Golden Rule when interacting with everyone, from customers, to lower management and your associates. Set up a better connecting with your associates because there could be some people at the lower ranks with much to offer. Promote that each location promote having a stronger company culture so that maybe they'll be high employee retention rates. Just do more for the store community, and the community in general.

AVOID

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Corona, CA
    Former Employee - Front End Supervisor in Corona, CA

I worked at Ross Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked with some cool people.

Cons

The pay, the work load, understaffed to save money, rude customers, there yearly evaluations and raises are a joke

Hire more people or have lower expectations. You can't have everyone working the floor and only one register open on a Friday night. You can't have everyone off the floor on registers, and then expect the store to be spotless 30 minutes after closing. Also, just because I don't want to come in on my day off, does not make me a bad employee. The person who skipped on work is a bad employee.

Sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Jacksonville, NC

I worked at Ross Stores (less than a year)

Pros

Kind of flexible with a student schedule

Cons

Making fitting room associates press a button to let people into the bathroom constantly, no holiday time off to go see family from November-End of December, LOW pay, rude customers, getting let off past shift, constantly being asked to do work that is someone else's job, being called on every day off asking for a shift to be covered, favoritism among associates.

Pay your associates more than minimum wage, include holiday pay incentives since associates are not allowed to take time off, show you care about your associates as people not just as bodies to be at work.

The company can care less about you, everyone is replaceable.

Former Employee - Area Supervisor in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Area Supervisor in San Jose, CA

I worked at Ross Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent discount. 40% off happens 3 or 4 times a year but associates are left to go through the "crap" of the store, very light new loads come in.

Cons

Companies goes through associates and management like clockwork. I had 6+ different store managers within my 3 year tenure. The company is cut-throat and the turnover rate here is laughable. Dirty disgusting store environment coupled with dirty disgusting customers and bottom-of-the-barrel talent. Paying associates minimum wage shows how much Ross cares. You get what you pay for.

You are replaceable too.

not very good

Former Employee - Store Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Ross Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

not a very good company to work for.

Cons

senior management is not in touch with the store associates

stay away

Ross is a horrible place to work.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Spring Hill, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Spring Hill, TN

I worked at Ross Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The discount was alright considering the clothes are already cheap but you can get fired for using it if someone is with you shopping.

Cons

The other girls that work with you.

Pay more attention to how employees treat each other. People don't deserve to get treated the way they do.