Ross Stores

Ross Stores Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Ross Stores Vice Chairman and CEO Michael A. Balmuth

Michael A. Balmuth

Pros
  • The employee discount is great on already reasonably priced merchandise (in 62 reviews)

• You have a 20% discount card, and on special occasions that 20% doubles to 40% (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Minimum wage start off isn't what I'd like to be making working there (in 72 reviews)

• The work-life balance is a hassle because they basically do not give you as much time away as you would like (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent experience for me.

ProsThe discount is pretty good.

ConsThe pay rate is terrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery good and caring people.

Ross Store Associate

Ross Store Associate (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsFriendly work environment, Schedule accomodation

ConsPay, the starting pay rate is barely above minimum wage and the pay raises after six months was onlt 10cents increase per hour

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay and pay raises

good

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Alcoa, TN

Prosexcellent place for a first job

Consvery little hours,no benefits,no advancement

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They always help me wen i Kneed help finding something

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) West Sacramento, CA

ProsIt's a grate stor, amassing work place & hard working cow-workers, they help aught costumers in anything they kneed help in.

Conskeeping thing clean and tidy and in place, getting home in time to due all the house hole duties that kneed to be dune

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways keep an eye on what your cow-workers are doing and keep them working, make shire everything is were it is, also that everyone is doing there job.

More of the Same

Loss Prevention Associate (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

Pros--Flexible Scheduling
    --Annual Pay Increases
    --Associates Generally Enoyable to work with

Generally speaking I enjoy working with my assocaites and coworkers, t here are times however where the associate sseem to get bored and have nothing else better to do than to start rumors and drama in which Management in this case is non confrontational and you'll have to make a scene for it to be adressed.

Cons--Monotonous
    --No Room For Advancement
    --Poor Pay, New hires limited to part time
    --Full time is considered a "promotion"
    --Drama

For starters unless you plan on gettign a college degree don't expect to move any further than full time SPS. Area Loss Prevention Manager requires a bachelors degree, and at tat point you're prolly already pursuing something you'll enjoy. The SPS position is essentially the illusion of authority. It is completely against polcy to acuse people of stealing even fi you can verify it with your own two eyes. Your simple there to document nad help mitigate theft without actually making any sort of apprehensions. Probably a good thing since the wage doesn't reflect that, that being said the job itself is for the most part pretty boring. You get paid more than the starting assocaite which is nice, but in order to see full benefits you';; need to be promoted to full time, which is ridiculously rigurous process given the low pay of the position. There are just around 32 hourly assocaites where I work, and of those only 3 are full time. Just something to keep in mind before you go into this.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider a training program that may allow for aprehensions of those who are obviously stealing, and of course the training and pay you compensate for this. Also, of your stores are stretched thin, quit being cheap and higher more labor as well as make more room for full time associates. You aren't doing anyone a favor by attempting to keep all labor at part time ot avoid paying health care costs, not even the company itself since there is a constant turn over rate as well as the inabilit yto get shifts covered when people need to call out due to labor constraints. Ross is a huge company, there is ZERO reason why they couldn't afford it.

High Paced Work Environment

ProsExcellence in upper management, training and development

ConsVery little work/life balance. Expectation of excessive work hours

Cool job while in school but management had high turnover

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsEmployee discount
    Nice coworkers
    Time flies by

ConsHigh turnover rate among sales associates and management
    Rude customers
    low pay and tiny raises (a max of 35 cents a year)
    Constantly extended store hours!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease do not assign one employee four departments while giving two employees one department. I was constantly overworked while others just stood around talking.

nope

Cashier (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Prosmake new friends
    get a bit of raise
    awesome sales
    get 40% employee discount on super discount days
    mostly the discount

Consmanager sucks
    paying isn't enough with all the hard things they give you

Advice to Senior Managementchange

Horrible

Cashier, FES, Stock Associate (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsA job which brings some sort of income.

ConsNo benefits, cannot go over 25 hours if part-timer (usually give 18 hours max), no pay raise when being "promoted" to Front End Supervisor, give you days off but constantly call you to come in to work which is difficult when you already made plans and lose potential hours, no such thing as training, you learn everything on your own, have to do 5 things at the same time and get yelled at because you haven't finished anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to giving associates the hours they deserve, the paycheck does not reflect the amount of work one goes through.

just ok

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Capitola, CA

Prosflexible at first, training is good

Consmanagement falls apart, expects you to do what they want and if it doesnt work out you get blaimed.

Worked for Ross Stores? Contribute to the Community!