Roth Staffing

Updated September 17, 2014
3.9

Roth Staffing CEO Ben Roth
Ben Roth

Pros
  • I appreciate the culture of Roth Staffing that focuses on a healthy work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Belief in our Mission, Vision and Values (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Not enough manpower in the offices to actually do more than give lip service to Candidates Mission, Vision and Values goals (in 4 reviews)

• Executive and regional management leaders are dishonest and hide behind Mission Vision Values of the company - At times, feels like a cult (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

I plan to stay with and eventually retire with this company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cerritos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cerritos, CA

I have been working at Roth Staffing full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This company offers a work/life balance that is unmatched in our industry. The Executive Management team is amazing and they really do care about their employees, which then permeates down to our Customers and Ambassadors. In my twelve years at this company, I have worked in different capacities. The experience has always been positive and consistent. Expectations are clear and achievable. They give us enough flexibility to build our own team- it is what you make of it. There is no ceiling in terms of growth. After hiring and training dozens of internal employees who have worked for other companies in our industry, I constantly hear from them that we ARE different... in a good way. It makes me feel good and reassures me that Roth truly is the best staffing company to work for.

Cons

Our software system could be a little more consolidated.

Keep doing what you are doing by listening and acting on our Customer, Ambassadors and Coworkers feedback through the engagement surveys and communicating via town hall meetings.

No opportunities for professionals. Mostly clerical opportunities are available. Some feedback from staffing manager.

I have been working at Roth Staffing as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Variety of assignments mostly clerical,

Cons

Salary is low. Incentives for doing a job well are non-existent.

Expand into staffing for professionals. Provide incentives based on performance.

Nice company, doesn't live values.

I have been working at Roth Staffing as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Company Values are given on first day and held up as the standard.

Cons

As an Ambassador, I didn't feel I was treated the way the values were described.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I found a company with remarkable values that are not situational and during my ten years have never waivered.

Current Employee - Branch Manager  in  Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Roth Staffing full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

From day one I was given full responsibility for the results generated by my branch. As long as I can base my decisions on our Mission, Vision, Values I always have the full support of my executive team. Having a manager asking what they could do for me and meaning it tool some getting used to. What a great environment for growth.

Cons

The only down side is not being closer to our corporate office. Their are so many wonderful people from our owners to all of the support staff.

Next step is video conferencing for our town hall meetings. It would bring you a little closer to the field staff.

A company that makes you proud

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Roth Staffing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I am so proud of what my company is today and what they strive to be. I'm proud of my coworkers and the kind of people this company hires. I'm proud of how much this company challenges me and pushes me to be even better at my job than I thought I could be.

This organization genuinely cares about its people. The company is transparent…they urge employees to give honest feedback on a coworker survey every 6 months, and then the CEO and COO share the feedback (even the criticism) in a town hall meeting. Not only do they own up to all of the things our company could do better for its employees, but then they announce exactly how they plan to improve and they give updates on how they're doing throughout the year.

But the thing that makes me the most proud is Roth Staffing's commitment to doing good things for others. We are encouraged to help in our communities and we're given company hours to volunteer. We celebrate "remarkable experiences" companywide almost daily with stories that pop-up on our screens and I can read about what other branches are doing across the country to make life better for people. I am inspired at work every day.

Staffing is a cool business. We get to help companies fill positions. We get to help professionals find great places to work. And out of all the firms in the staffing industry, the best company to work for is Roth Staffing Companies. They really get it. They know how much staffing can impact the lives of people and they help us focus on that.

Cons

No company is perfect, especially in staffing. In fact, I have heard some terrible horror stories about the experiences people have had at other staffing companies.

I see complaints on this site about how much work is required at our company, how lean some of the teams run, or how the company doesn't quite live up to the core values it says it has.

My answer to that is, yes, it's hard work, but the required daily work that other companies in staffing require is often much more challenging than the expectations at Roth Staffing. The activity we're expected to get done each week is definitely attainable. Also, our managers always remind us that the reason we need to achieve this daily/weekly activity is so that we have the opportunity to help more people - I appreciate the fact that we focus on the big picture and I see why my work is meaningful.

Yes, our team is lean, but I know what the hiring trigger is and that we can grow and invest in our team each time we hit a trigger.

And lastly, I would rather work for a company that articulates its core values and strives to live by those values each day, than to work at a company that doesn't even try to abide by a set of important philosophies.

I think people have high expectations when they work at our company because we have the reputation for being "the best" but it's up to me to make it the best. People who come to our company and sit back expecting to be waited on will be disappointed. Everyone has to do their part. It doesn't work out for everyone. You really have to have a talent for sales, a passion for helping people, and you have to be aligned with our company's values - if you're not, you'll be unhappy. Those who are a good fit will stay with this company for life and they'll love it as much as I do.

Keep up the town hall meetings, keep holding us accountable to knowing the company's core values, keep being transparent with the survey results, and don't shy away from holding us accountable for our performance - I am living example that we will live up to your expectations when pushed in the right direction.

Tim is awesome!

Former Employee - Bookkeeper  in  Fresno, CA
    Former Employee - Bookkeeper in Fresno, CA

I worked at Roth Staffing part-time for more than a year

Pros

Tim is a joy to work for.

Cons

When the position ended, I was kind of blind-sided.

National disconnect

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at Roth Staffing full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Roth is a great company that truly believes in the MVV, BUT that rarely translates down to the BSM's and the Abassadors. If you have a strong regional manager that believes in the company promise, this is a great company.

Cons

I realize as I have read a few of these reviews that most negative reviews are answered by corporate in a condescending tone again hiding behind the MVV. Truth is this is a national company that has great leadership on the west coast and poor leadership everywhere else. In my role I visited offices on the west coast many times and was blown away by their belief and passion for the MVV. In travels to other regions it was not even recognizable as the same company. Other responses that have claimed Nepotism and high work standards, get over it, Ben and Adam and all the cousins and brothers do a good enough job not to be the problem. The standards that are set are not outrageous but the low staffing levels and corporate time requirements make them more difficult to attain. I was also privy to the phrase used very often at Roth "effectively manage them out of their role". In translation that is how Roth hides behind MVV to let an employee go. My only complaint about Roth would be the lack of consistency of MVV across the nation, without that Roth is any other agency.

Pay close attention when you visit offices outside of California, have one on ones with BSM's to see what they think of the region. You will find without a strong regional leader who fully embraces MVV you will struggle to gain the levels of success you have had in California.

AN OUTSTANDING COMPANY THAT STANDS OUT AS THE BEST IN THE INDUSTRY

I have been working at Roth Staffing full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have been with Roth Staffing for more than 10 years and the company keeps getting better and better. It is has changed dramatically over the last five years and I applaud the changes. I love what the company stands for and that Roth Staffing allows me to feel that my life is in balance...my personal values and the company values are one of the same. I have been with other staffing companies and this is a different world. For me, I am a better person since I have joined this company and my family always comments on how it has changed me. I enjoy my weekends but I look forward to coming to work. I love the people I work with, the friends I have made and the balance in life that I have been provided. I know this sounds extreme but a lot of my coworkers feel the same way.

Roth expects a lot from its coworkers. It has to do more with expecting people to do good things for others and achieving performance activities that produce the proper results. Everyone sells and services which is great since it is similar to having our own business and control over our incomes. If someone has the drive, they will be successful and there are a ton of people who have been with the company for more than 10 years which says a lot. People in branches that don't want to work or who don't want to sell will have challenges. The expectations are reasonable.

There are more opportunities today for growth than ever. The atomic system is based is a platform for creating teams within branches, identifying new managers and promoting from within. Most managers today are from internal promotions of coworkers. When people comment about not having opportunities for promotions, either they don't know the company or are temporary employees (Ambassadors) on assignment. Their situation is obviously different. I have grown through the company as have many of my peers.

There is always a challenge as to having enough people in a branch. I know the company supports adding more coworkers but the success of the branch dictates the number of coworkers. The company has grown significantly over the past years in revenues and number of coworkers and the branch dynamics keep getting better. I know that the company focus is having larger branches, with more coworkers in each branch. It is happening more and more.

Lastly, I feel very well supported by the leadership team. There is clarity regarding the direction of the company and it is communicated to everyone through town hall meetings. There is a lot of recognition and community focus. The leadership team's heart is in the right place. Joining Roth Staffing is the best thing I have done in my career.

Cons

The challenge with any company with more than 100 branches is having every manager be perfectly aligned with the company standards and values. Roth does more than any other staffing company to answer this challenge as evidenced by it being designated as the Best Staffing Firm to Work for and one of the Top 50 Workplaces in the nation. Still, it is imperfect. All coworkers have a voice and avenues available to them to constantly make things better.

Keep building the culture and making it a great place to work.

Continuing to Evolve and Get Better

I have been working at Roth Staffing full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Roth Staffing is the best Company I have worked for - period. The Values of the organization are real and evident since I started working here.. and have been unwavering in my time with the Company. With branch network, there are certainly variances in local culture, local management, and local teams, but the reality is that the overwhelming majority of the organization lives and loves what our company stands for.

Yes, we have performance standards and I have read several reviews that company is focused on making money. Of course it is! We wouldn't be employed or a part of a healthy company if we weren't focused on performance - that's what allows us to make bonuses and the company to exist. If anything, I think that our company is pretty tolerant when it comes to results. But, as in any sales organization, not everyone is going to be successful or like accountability. The same goes with our Ambassassdors - we can't find everyone a job. It is the unfortunate reality of the staffing industry.

I love the coworker engagement programs, ATOMIC structure, and corporate departments. We can always get better in some areas (training, technology, etc)., but that has been no different than other companies I have worked for - and no different than what I hear from my teams and clients about their own organizations.

I trust that my manager and the sr. team are focused on the right things and look out for the best interests of our employees. And, anytime in my tenure with the company that I have had an issue, I have been able to work through it. Pam and Julie are always accessible. Always. And, Adam, Ben and the corporate team will jump in whenever needed. I can assure you that everyone truly cares!

Cons

A work-life balance program for our perm teams - which I understand is in the "works."

More training for entry level roles so that we can develop talent internally.

I would like to see continued investments in the branches as we grow.

Additional recruiting resources for internal roles as the market for attracting talent is becoming more difficult.

I am very excited and optimistic about the future of our Company and leadership acorss the company.

Internal customer service is equally as good as external customer service.

I have been working at Roth Staffing full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Anytime that I have a request form corporate for field support they are extremely responsive. The group of people I get to be around on a daily basis are fantastic and help to create a fun and energetic working atmosphere.

Cons

The only con I would say is that although there are many growth opportunities, the entry level positions all basically encompass the same functions so even though you can always improve skills in the areas your role there aren't a whole lot of opportunities to do new things.

Worked for Roth Staffing? Contribute to the Community!