Rothstein Kass
www.rkco.com Roseland, NJ 1000 to 5000 Employees

Rothstein Kass Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Steven Kass and Howard Altman

Great Place to Start, but know when to leave..

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Rothstein Kass

Pros-Provides great benefit package with ample vacation time and days off
-Great learning experience and gateway to better opportunities at Hedge Funds or Private companies
-Paid overtime
-Firm events (LIFE Initiative, Holiday Party, Picnic)

Cons-Completely unrealistic budgets
-Some people would be managing 10 jobs during seasom while others only had 3 and would leave at 9pm, while others would be there until past There is no confidentiality. You can take management a personal problem and you can guarantee the whole office knows the next day.

Advice to Senior Management-Prove trustworthyness to workers
-Listen when your workers are speaking out (I think something is wrong when 90% of the senior class quit)
-Give FAIR evaluations with FAIR compensation. It isn't okay to give the entire company the exact same raise. It undermines the dedication some people do put in while the rest just breeze by.

I think this is a great company to start out at. You learn SO much - about hedgefunds, corporate life, and business, in general. This is a great environment to learn and strengthen your skills. After 4 years or so - get out. It's the best choice I made.

Nice, Maybe Too Nice

Auditor Financial Services (Former Employee)

I worked at Rothstein Kass

ProsThis firm basically lets you take off anytime you want nine months out of the year with a morning's notice. You can leave early any day during busy season so long as you think of some reasonable excuse. The only real expectation is that you get your work done at some point. After the economic downturn, the firm was able to hire more intelligent staff than they had in the past. So, it should be a better place to work now.

ConsFor some reason, this firm hired quite a few people who did not belong in the accounting profession. As you may notice, a lot of people on this board can barely write. This was typical at the staff level and remained at the senior and management levels. The "backstabbing" people were the ones trying to tell management to get rid of some of these idiots. Everyone received close to the same raise even though there was a clear difference in performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire some of these morons and give the good workers higher pay.

Good place to start, but not a long-term career option

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Rothstein Kass

ProsAdditional PTO from working busy season hours
Diverse crowd of people to work with
Firm events (Picnic, Holiday party)
Extensive exposure into the hedge fund industry
Ability for seniors to manage clients and coach new staff

ConsUnrealistic budgets and expectations
Lack of training opportunity for new staff (start in mid-November but only have little time to prepare for busy season which can overwhelm them)
Very long hours during busy season and even for jobs out of season
Management having the quick trigger of letting people go

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees of what they need to help them to achieve success in the firm. Most often when giving performance reviews it can hurt the staff's confidence and management really needs to help out the staff from a humanistic standpoint.

The company LOOKS good when you start off. BUT you learn quickly how much politics is involved.

Staff Auditor (Former Employee)

I worked at Rothstein Kass

ProsThe employees are very friendly and the company DOES try to keep employees happy.

Consto continue from my "pros" sentence, the company FAILS miserably in TRYING to keep us happy! so much politics. and the seniors and managers are HORRIBLE! they do not explain to you. the training sucks its all on the job training.

Advice to Senior Managementthey need to learn to be patient and help the juniors instead of actually yell at them in front of everyone as if they are in some class room. no such thing as corporate environment!

Rothstein Kass -

ProsDecent benefits and PTO
Many great co-workers
A diverse group of employees
Opportunity to learn, depending upon whom you work for

ConsIncreased pressure to "network" since business downturn
Quality of client experiences vary
Increased pressure to keep time "down" on complex jobs because clients want lower fees
Quality of training varies from poor to excellent, with little oversight

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't "buy" business from clients and then expect jobs to come within an unrealistic budget
Don't make promises to clients without considering your staff's workload

depends on which group you are working for

Senior Tax Accountant (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Rothstein Kass

ProsMid-sized...well diversified, fair compensation, many talented people

Conslong hours busy season 75-80 hours, politics

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease do not fake people... do not fight, managers!

Retrospective Review of RK

Senior Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Rothstein Kass

Proscompensation is OK, benefits are good, PTO for overtime worked during the busy season, some of the people that work there are nice & helpful, work location is more convenient than if you were to work in new york city, and free parking. Not humanly possible to think of any other positive things to say about RK.

Consvery toxic work environment & culture where back-stabbing is encouraged & allowed, performance reviews are 2-faced (they tell you you are doing OK, then in secret closed meetings, they rip you apart), tons of hypocrisy from managers and partners, very clickish like a bad version of a high school drama, high ratio of minorities who are fired/laid off every year because they do not fit the classic "good ol' boys" RK culture, promises of promotions that never come to fruition, tons of excessive politics beyond what would be deemed as normal in any other company, senior management (especially in HR) have no ethics or backbone in treating employees & ex-employees, etc., etc., etc.

Advice to Senior Managementhard to give advice to managers who have such disregard for employees working for them, RK management needs to look at other competitors to see why they are not vilified to the extent RK is, good number of the managers and partners there need to go back to school and learn to act like human beings again, employees should also be treated as a resource of the company, not to be thrown out and discarded when their usefulness goes down after the busy tax season, need to practice what they preach regarding their trademarked "BALANCED" philosophy (if they even know what that means), message to prospective employees would be BEWARE.

Backstabing, overworked, inhumane reatment

I have been working at Rothstein Kass

Pros7 weeks vacation a decent health coverage. You will learn alot in your first few months at the company. The company has a reputation in the finance field so it looks good on your resume when looking for other jobs in hedge funds.

ConsToo much backstabbing at Rothstein. Alot of the seniors I work with give a ton of work and then go sit back and chat it about the last episode of Lost. Those of us at the low levels are very overworked and the few seniors that take pride in their job and take the time to explain to staff how to do things in an audit are usually the ones fired at end of busy season.

The seniors who lazy it up and stuff their staff with everything they should be doing so they can take probably 2 hours of breaks (excluding lunch) are the ones kept around. They are the ones who usually backstab those under them by blaming others for hours billed to a client when it's they who didn't hard hard for the hours they did. And of course it's these types of seniors and managers that get to head up roundtable meetings cause they are such "real leaders" when it's them who talks behind people's backs but they give a big smile when they see the same person face to face.

The partner level leadership are completely clueless. They tell staff and lower seniors theat they shouldn't complain when it's 10 pm and they are required to email scheduling if there is anymore work that needs to be done. One aprtner even stated that hey if you have to stay until 1 or 2 then that's the nature of the business. But when you walk by the partners offices they are usually done by 5 or 6. They tell us oh how they have to work harder than us during review time for financials which is the time they claim he have reduced schedules and are enjoying the time. That is a lie. We are here just as late and if not later than msot of these aprtners who still go home early.

They tell us how we need to do more to impress the clients and how it is not enough. Last I check it's the few of us that are working hard late trying to get things done while the leadership of the company are talking about how they couldn;t paly as much golf over the weekend cause of the rain. I barely have time for ymself and while they claim how Rothstein Kass is about being balanced most of us know that is just another lie.

Management can keep denying how miserable msot of us employees are and they can keep promoting alot of the backstabbing seniors who head up the roundtables but when most of us decide to leave the company you will be stuck with those seniors who will be partners and you iwll look back and think "huh why did all these people quit?" Just look at who you kept and promoted to hhigh levels for the answer.

Looking at what is psoted and not postd guidelines I have a feeling someone from RK managment will complain because they don't want the truth out there. No problem. Silence people here but people will end up quitting and so the new, unsuspecting people who can't read reviews like this will have to waste an year or two of their lives to get the lesson. If this is about educating people who a company, they should read the good and bad about a company and then use their intuition to decide if a company is good for them or not. This is based on my experiences and they are real. And if I seen a review like this before I came here, then I would never have wasted my time with this company. But I am stuck here until the economy can get better and there are more jobs that are available to be had. Hopefully this review makes it.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership needs to start treating their employees as human beings and not robots. Cutting employees citing a "down economy" when you are one of the few company who made a huge profit discourages employees. Hire more employees but stop taking on more clients. Otherwise you will keep getting more and more people leaving. They haven't left yet because it is a down economy for loooking for other jobs. So please dot he right thing and treat us s humans. You will burn out the few of us who work hard and actually care about the company. But continually overworknig employees will cause employees to resent the company and want to leave. It does not foster any trust in management. Reviews cannot be only from top down or manger up to partner but seniors need to be reviewed too. Giving power to a handful of seniors can get out of hand since they hold alot of power and can take adntage of it. Please don't have 4 or 5 seniors determining who should stay or who should go and they are the eyes and ears of management. It makes other feel like it's Big Brother environment and you are being watched all the time. Stop that so that working at Rothstein Kass can feel warm and welcoming place to be. Also Rothstein Kass management said they were committed to diversity in management positions. But last year you let go of the majority of nonwhite employees at the senior level. Stacking the staff levls with nonwhites but not allowing the majority to go far in the seniro, maanger and partner levels discrdits your policy to try and diversify Rothstein Kass. The people you let go were not the worst employees so there is no excuses. If management sticks to their word, employees will felt hey can trust management. Management should not be making a big push about how employees need to be wowing clients. They need to start thinking how can Rothstein Kassmanagement start wowing their employees. Wowing your employees will help keep t he good people who work hard and care in the company. That only helps Rohstein grow as a company by having less turnover, improved morale and so better company performance for the company in profits.

Rothstein Kass job review

Senior Auditor (Former Employee)

I worked at Rothstein Kass

Prosbenefits, pay, time-off, location only if you survive the annual layoffs that occur at Rothstein Kass

Consno job security, performance appraisals very politicized and whimsical, upper management are very willing to throw people under the bus, no constructive feedback given to employees until it's too late,

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement and the company as whole needs to get some integrity in how to treat employees, way too much back-stabbing & office politics here compared to other audit firms (I also worked at a Big Four firm after RK; Big Four was MUCH better in terms of work environment)

Senior Auditor

Senior Auditor (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Rothstein Kass

Prosgreat pay, you can earn up to 7 weeks vacation or choose to be paid in cash for overtime worked,

Conslack of proper training, lack of acknowledgement of good work, lack of constructive feedback, lack of professional environment, lack of opportunities for career advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove performance evaluation process, improve brand name by improving the quality of work not by lowering price, improve consistency in work performed and management philosophy

Worked for Rothstein Kass? Contribute to the Community!

Rothstein Kass Videos

Rothstein Kass – Why Work for Us?

Rothstein Kass is a premier professional services firm that has served privately held and publicly traded companies, as well as high-net-worth individuals and families, for more than 50 years. As trusted advisors to our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rothstein Kass reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rothstein Kass CEO Steven Kass and Howard Altman. All 39 reviews posted anonymously by Rothstein Kass employees.