Rothstein Kass Reviews

Updated June 11, 2014
Updated June 11, 2014
3.2

Steven Kass and Howard Altman

The company LOOKS good when you start off. BUT you learn quickly how much politics is involved.

Former Employee - Staff Auditor  in  Roseland, NJ
    Former Employee - Staff Auditor in Roseland, NJ

I worked at Rothstein Kass

Pros

The employees are very friendly and the company DOES try to keep employees happy.

Cons

to continue from my "pros" sentence, the company FAILS miserably in TRYING to keep us happy! so much politics. and the seniors and managers are HORRIBLE! they do not explain to you. the training sucks its all on the job training.

they need to learn to be patient and help the juniors instead of actually yell at them in front of everyone as if they are in some class room. no such thing as corporate environment!

Rothstein Kass -

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Roseland, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseland, NJ

I have been working at Rothstein Kass

Pros

Decent benefits and PTO
    Many great co-workers
    A diverse group of employees
    Opportunity to learn, depending upon whom you work for

Cons

Increased pressure to "network" since business downturn
    Quality of client experiences vary
    Increased pressure to keep time "down" on complex jobs because clients want lower fees
    Quality of training varies from poor to excellent, with little oversight

Don't "buy" business from clients and then expect jobs to come within an unrealistic budget
    Don't make promises to clients without considering your staff's workload

depends on which group you are working for

Current Employee - Senior Tax Accountant  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Tax Accountant in New York, NY

I have been working at Rothstein Kass

Pros

Mid-sized...well diversified, fair compensation, many talented people

Cons

long hours busy season 75-80 hours, politics

Please do not fake people... do not fight, managers!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Retrospective Review of RK

Former Employee - Senior Associate  in  Roseland, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Roseland, NJ

I worked at Rothstein Kass

Pros

compensation is OK, benefits are good, PTO for overtime worked during the busy season, some of the people that work there are nice & helpful, work location is more convenient than if you were to work in new york city, and free parking. Not humanly possible to think of any other positive things to say about RK.

Cons

very toxic work environment & culture where back-stabbing is encouraged & allowed, performance reviews are 2-faced (they tell you you are doing OK, then in secret closed meetings, they rip you apart), tons of hypocrisy from managers and partners, very clickish like a bad version of a high school drama, high ratio of minorities who are fired/laid off every year because they do not fit the classic "good ol' boys" RK culture, promises of promotions that never come to fruition, tons of excessive politics beyond what would be deemed as normal in any other company, senior management (especially in HR) have no ethics or backbone in treating employees & ex-employees, etc., etc., etc.

hard to give advice to managers who have such disregard for employees working for them, RK management needs to look at other competitors to see why they are not vilified to the extent RK is, good number of the managers and partners there need to go back to school and learn to act like human beings again, employees should also be treated as a resource of the company, not to be thrown out and discarded when their usefulness goes down after the busy tax season, need to practice what they preach regarding their trademarked "BALANCED" philosophy (if they even know what that means), message to prospective employees would be BEWARE.

Backstabing, overworked, inhumane reatment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Roseland, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseland, NJ

I have been working at Rothstein Kass

Pros

7 weeks vacation a decent health coverage. You will learn alot in your first few months at the company. The company has a reputation in the finance field so it looks good on your resume when looking for other jobs in hedge funds.

Cons

Too much backstabbing at Rothstein. Alot of the seniors I work with give a ton of work and then go sit back and chat it about the last episode of Lost. Those of us at the low levels are very overworked and the few seniors that take pride in their job and take the time to explain to staff how to do things in an audit are usually the ones fired at end of busy season.

The seniors who lazy it up and stuff their staff with everything they should be doing so they can take probably 2 hours of breaks (excluding lunch) are the ones kept around. They are the ones who usually backstab those under them by blaming others for hours billed to a client when it's they who didn't hard hard for the hours they did. And of course it's these types of seniors and managers that get to head up roundtable meetings cause they are such "real leaders" when it's them who talks behind people's backs but they give a big smile when they see the same person face to face.

The partner level leadership are completely clueless. They tell staff and lower seniors theat they shouldn't complain when it's 10 pm and they are required to email scheduling if there is anymore work that needs to be done. One aprtner even stated that hey if you have to stay until 1 or 2 then that's the nature of the business. But when you walk by the partners offices they are usually done by 5 or 6. They tell us oh how they have to work harder than us during review time for financials which is the time they claim he have reduced schedules and are enjoying the time. That is a lie. We are here just as late and if not later than msot of these aprtners who still go home early.

They tell us how we need to do more to impress the clients and how it is not enough. Last I check it's the few of us that are working hard late trying to get things done while the leadership of the company are talking about how they couldn;t paly as much golf over the weekend cause of the rain. I barely have time for ymself and while they claim how Rothstein Kass is about being balanced most of us know that is just another lie.

Management can keep denying how miserable msot of us employees are and they can keep promoting alot of the backstabbing seniors who head up the roundtables but when most of us decide to leave the company you will be stuck with those seniors who will be partners and you iwll look back and think "huh why did all these people quit?" Just look at who you kept and promoted to hhigh levels for the answer.

Looking at what is psoted and not postd guidelines I have a feeling someone from RK managment will complain because they don't want the truth out there. No problem. Silence people here but people will end up quitting and so the new, unsuspecting people who can't read reviews like this will have to waste an year or two of their lives to get the lesson. If this is about educating people who a company, they should read the good and bad about a company and then use their intuition to decide if a company is good for them or not. This is based on my experiences and they are real. And if I seen a review like this before I came here, then I would never have wasted my time with this company. But I am stuck here until the economy can get better and there are more jobs that are available to be had. Hopefully this review makes it.

Leadership needs to start treating their employees as human beings and not robots. Cutting employees citing a "down economy" when you are one of the few company who made a huge profit discourages employees. Hire more employees but stop taking on more clients. Otherwise you will keep getting more and more people leaving. They haven't left yet because it is a down economy for loooking for other jobs. So please dot he right thing and treat us s humans. You will burn out the few of us who work hard and actually care about the company. But continually overworknig employees will cause employees to resent the company and want to leave. It does not foster any trust in management. Reviews cannot be only from top down or manger up to partner but seniors need to be reviewed too. Giving power to a handful of seniors can get out of hand since they hold alot of power and can take adntage of it. Please don't have 4 or 5 seniors determining who should stay or who should go and they are the eyes and ears of management. It makes other feel like it's Big Brother environment and you are being watched all the time. Stop that so that working at Rothstein Kass can feel warm and welcoming place to be. Also Rothstein Kass management said they were committed to diversity in management positions. But last year you let go of the majority of nonwhite employees at the senior level. Stacking the staff levls with nonwhites but not allowing the majority to go far in the seniro, maanger and partner levels discrdits your policy to try and diversify Rothstein Kass. The people you let go were not the worst employees so there is no excuses. If management sticks to their word, employees will felt hey can trust management. Management should not be making a big push about how employees need to be wowing clients. They need to start thinking how can Rothstein Kassmanagement start wowing their employees. Wowing your employees will help keep t he good people who work hard and care in the company. That only helps Rohstein grow as a company by having less turnover, improved morale and so better company performance for the company in profits.

Rothstein Kass job review

Former Employee - Senior Auditor  in  Roseland, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Auditor in Roseland, NJ

I worked at Rothstein Kass

Pros

benefits, pay, time-off, location only if you survive the annual layoffs that occur at Rothstein Kass

Cons

no job security, performance appraisals very politicized and whimsical, upper management are very willing to throw people under the bus, no constructive feedback given to employees until it's too late,

management and the company as whole needs to get some integrity in how to treat employees, way too much back-stabbing & office politics here compared to other audit firms (I also worked at a Big Four firm after RK; Big Four was MUCH better in terms of work environment)

Senior Auditor

Current Employee - Senior Auditor  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor in New York, NY

I have been working at Rothstein Kass

Pros

great pay, you can earn up to 7 weeks vacation or choose to be paid in cash for overtime worked,

Cons

lack of proper training, lack of acknowledgement of good work, lack of constructive feedback, lack of professional environment, lack of opportunities for career advancement

Improve performance evaluation process, improve brand name by improving the quality of work not by lowering price, improve consistency in work performed and management philosophy

Smart leadership but no regard for employees.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Rothstein Kass

Pros

1 - Great place to learn the financial services/hedge fund industry.
    2 - Great people to work with. RK is a very friendly and casual atmosphere.

Cons

1 - It can be difficult to get progressive career experience. Senior managers/partners don't involve staff/seniors in any unique projects.
    2 - Very long hours (although staff/seniors are paid straight OT).

Do something to show appreciation of the work your employees provide. I mean anything....a pizza day, a company happy hour.....anything. Just something. There is an entire firm of jaded and unmotivated individuals who are not going to have the desire to meet client expectations. People aren't going to believe that "next time" they will be appreciated for all their hard work, late nights, saturday and sunday workdays, and giving everything they have to the firm. These people won't be going above and beyond to please the client and their superiors because there is no self-interest in doing so anymore.

Stay away from Rothstein Kass if you can

Current Employee - Audit Associate  in  Roseland, NJ
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Roseland, NJ

I have been working at Rothstein Kass

Pros

learning about hedge funds & accounting, understanding what it's like to work for a horrible, unfair company so that you can appreciate better jobs later

Cons

partners & senior managers are spineless and love to throw people under the bus the first chance they get, there was a layoff this past Monday 4/27/09

get some integrity & humanity

Great, diverse culture in an auditing firm

Former Employee - Summer  in  Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Summer in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Rothstein Kass

Pros

The diverse, team-oriented culture that brings all of us together. Although the job itself can be tough, but the people make the office a great place to be in. Plenty of opportunities organized to bond. Great access & exposure to senior management.

Cons

Political climate in the office may be annoying to some, and the nature of the work itself isn't the most exciting so don't expect too much. Can be a little repetitive, but you can get really good at it. In the end you're the one who is in control so it depends a lot on you on where you want to be ahead in.

Organize more events to know entry-level employees more, improve the technological facilities there. Enhance internship program by making it more challenging, and provide greater opportunities for career advancement.

Worked for Rothstein Kass? Contribute to the Community!