Roti Mediterranean Grill

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
2.6

Carl Segal

The road goes ever on and on-- it's been a long and interesting journey.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Roti Mediterranean Grill full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The food is absolutely amazing. Even after all these years, I still love it.

The people here are largely excellent. Starting on the line, I adored the sense of camaraderie and the level of team work and inclusiveness exhibited at the stores. Feedback is constructive and never purely negative. The company is still small enough to feel like a family and growing fast enough to keep the changes coming in exciting ways. Hard work is rewarded with opportunity. I've gotten the chance to travel the country and open new stores and I've gotten to wear many different hats. My mentors and managers have always had my best interest and my skills in mind and they have guided me towards positions where I can shine. Another pro is the change in our C-suite leadership. The last CEO was too focused on growth (no matter the cost) and didn't seem to care one bit about anyone but the people he brought into the company with him. He made many bad decisions that alienated many Rotiers. It was a rough time to work for Roti. The new CEO seems to share the same beliefs and passions as the founding leader, who came before the 'Bad Egg' CEO. There is more focus on what our brand means within the company *as well as* what our brand means to our guests. The new CEO is very accessible and genuinely cares.

I love the environment in the main office. It is very laid back and again, inclusive. You won't get the standard office-sniping and warmongering you might see at big companies. Everyone is very friendly and open. The Roti 'Support Center' can hardly be called a corporate office, which is such a great thing. Be prepared to work hard. If you are passionate, adaptable, sincere, honest, and fun-loving, you are a good fit.

Cons

High turnover thanks to bad hires is an issue-- mostly with GMs. Communication within the company has never been strong, though it is slowly improving with the new CEO. Changes to procedures, the menu, or training are still rolled out in a bumpy, somewhat willy-nilly way. Training consistency is spotty at best for those that work on the line which does not set them up for success. Bad managers at some locations can burn out their team, even if they have all-stars on the roster. Improvements need to be made in regards to addressing bad GM habits and poor GM involvement. When and if an action is decided on, accountability is spotty. When the company was restructured the jobs of many fell onto the few and as a result, some issues don't get addressed as quickly as they should because of the work load.

Weed out the unproductive General Managers and reward the General Managers with great attitudes and big hearts. Reward the all-star line workers, they are the face of the company to the customer. Keep the focus on people and more importantly, hire the right people. Focus on training so that the standards and expectations in every single store is the same. All in all, if the current trajectory of the company continues, Roti can only get better.

Great opportunity for young, ambitious, hard working folks interesting in the restaurant industry!

Current Employee - Support Center Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Support Center Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Roti Mediterranean Grill full-time for less than a year

Pros

Roti is an incredibly fun, motivating, inspiring, and challenging place to work. Because we're growing and changing so much, there are tons of new opportunities, projects, positions, and even departments cropping up all the time. That's perfect for someone like me who is young in their career and still trying to figure out their "niche." Roti has had a huge role in helping me define the path that I want my career to take right now. Plus senior management is incredibly encouraging and great to work with. Because we're a small group pretty much everyone in our office is working closely with one or more members of the Senior Leadership Team which is great. We're also a very close knit group and enjoy spending time together at lunch and after work, which is exactly my kind of office environment. Being someone with no prior experience in the restaurant industry, I have had a great time learning about our restaurants, getting to know our restaurant operators, and working with the rest of the Support Team to help those restaurants thrive

Cons

Not that this is really a con, but you can't join the company expecting not to work hard, put in the extra effort, and take initiative. If you want a job where you can just swim along the status quo, Roti is not the place for you. For me, this is really a pro. What can be a real con is that still being a growth company means a lot of us end up working extra hard to get everything done and a lot of times we don't have an existing system in place to help us make it happen. We aren't a huge Support Center, so everyone really has to pull their weight and then some. On the upside, hard work really does earn kudos and appreciation, so it's totally worth it.

They are there to help you succeed

Current Employee - Crew Member  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Roti Mediterranean Grill full-time for more than a year

Pros

Delicious food, that's good for you!
    Great balance of work and free time,
    Fun environment
    Who doesn't mind a free meal each day they work especially when you can load up a Salad!

Everyone there really does want to help each other succeed.

Cons

Very fast paced environment, you need to be able to handle large rushes of people and stay calm under pressure.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

On the up and up!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Roti Mediterranean Grill full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing food, great people and constantly working to get better. Career & advancement opportunities for top performers at every level. Fast paced, fun environment and positive energy! Good benefits for a small company, managers seem to really care about their people.

Cons

Like many small companies, Roti has gone through some growing pains. But it seems like things are going in the right direction- communication and support is better and growth is coming soon.

Keep things going in the direction they are now, and Roti is going to stay on top!

If you like working for free this company is for you. Late pay checks unprofessional company.

I worked at Roti Mediterranean Grill

Pros

You get one free meal a day.

Cons

Where do I begin. VERY short hours. And you'll be lucky if you get paid. This company is unprofessional and a waist of time.There is no back of house front of house differentiation. You're doing everything. You're the toilet cleaner prep cook, meat griller, vegetable cutter, food deliverer and dish washer. Did I mention there is no dish washing machine? You literally must wash every dish by hand. All of this for $9 an hour. They consider 16 to 20 hrs a week full time. You only work 4 hour shifts 4 or 5 days out of the week. That's $140.00 to $180.00 per week before tax that's not enough to live on here In New York or any where in America. Did I mention checks are usually missing or if you're one of the lucky people who actually get a check the hours are wrong. There is NO training what so ever. There are knives and different types off machines to cut vegetables with very sharp blades and a very hot grill to cook steak and chicken on that no one shows you the safety guidelines and rules. You must figure out recipes and instructions on your own there is no how to guide or video on anything. Overall this is one of the worst companies I've ever worked for. They take advantage of their employees by having them do free labor and not enough hours and low wages.

Management needs to come up with an orientation program. There needs to be some type of training on how to prepare the food and use cooking utensils. There should be a front of house and a back of house type of staff. Food prep should be paid more for their skill.

General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - General Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Roti Mediterranean Grill full-time

Pros

Not to many any more

Cons

Extremely High Turn over rate. New procedures and directives every month. Everyone out for them selves.

When the founder quits, you know its a bad sign.

A great concept that lacks management structure and training.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Roti Mediterranean Grill full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great new concept; execution is a failure.

Cons

I was hired here under false pretenses. I went in for an interview as a shift supervisor only to learn two weeks later that it was a position I would have to work into.

Upper management is disorganized with no clear communication between the staff. They falsely label their supervisors as leaders and this confuses not only the employees in general, but destroys morale of the supervisors who we're hired in the first place.

They strive for freshness, but serves 4-5 day old salmon. They want people to cross train on several stations but no one seems to have the experience or knowledge to train others on what to do. It's a free-for-all type of atmosphere.

The companies vision seems unclear to me. Everything is stream lined to be efficient here which is great. Training is lacking with no structure at all. They give you a packet of training material that isn't followed up on. You are basically on your own and if you don't have experience in the kitchen good luck.

Don't hire employees under false pretenses. A happy employee brings happy customers.

Unorganized and demotivating

I worked at Roti Mediterranean Grill full-time

Pros

Some of the employees really care of the company and want to make it a better place to work. Free lunch was offered to all full time employees. Great location, close to everything.

Cons

Constant turnover with management and no clear direction of the company. Poor training, if any was given. No paid time off was offered for a full year, and only 2 weeks thereafter. Managers are overworked, and are rarely given salary increases. Company conducted lots of lay off's due to lack of funds and unclear vision. They bite off more than they can chew.

Worked for Roti Mediterranean Grill? Contribute to the Community!