Roto-Rooter

Updated June 23, 2014
Updated June 23, 2014
2.9

Spencer Lee

Good place to work to learn the business

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Roto-Rooter full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

opportunity to learn Service and Repair Plumbing, a great way to take care and support your family

Cons

Schedule, Management Does not communicate goals and expectations clearly.

Work more closely with Field Technicians and Branch personnel ..

Very Controlling Management, Low Pay, Long Hours, Bad Moral

Former Employee - Plumber  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Plumber in Seattle, WA

I worked at Roto-Rooter full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good First job, but don't stay more than 3 years. Good place to learn the trade, but leave once you get your license.

Cons

I started in 2003 and at first things were okay. The local branch was then bought out by a cooperate office in Ohio, and things went to hell in 2 years. Employees were paid on commission, and the rates were slowly reduced. Meanwhile techs were asked to take on more responsibilities. Further, we were switched to a nation dispatch center and our local dispatch was closed. The national dispatch team suffered from high turnover, poor training, and they were largely inattentive. Consequently, sometimes I was sitting in my van for an hour waiting for my next job. When we were locally owned the plumbers received bonuses if they sold extra things like camera, or jetter work. Most of the bonuses disappeared, and were replaced with threats of termination if we didn't up sell.

I've learned how NOT to run a company from my experience at Roto-Rooter. I realized that this company was purely driven by short term profits, which was why they have so many problems now. Last last DM who ran my branch cut every expenditure imaginable to make his short term profits look ok. Once he received his cooperate bonus he quit just as the bills came due. A company SHOULD focus on long term profits, and be equally customer and employee oriented.

The Experience was Awful

Former Employee - Dispatcher/Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Dispatcher/Customer Service Representative

I worked at Roto-Rooter full-time for less than a year

Pros

Upon going to 3 interviews, they try and sell you on how this company will give you job stability due to employee tenure and how the workers are like family.

Cons

During training, individuals were: texting on their phone, surfing the net, giving you dirty looks when you need to ask questions, calling most of the employees"cupcake" and asking alot of nosy questions about your personal life. They tell you to press certain buttons and to submit tickets but then denies everything to upper management. They talk to older adults as if they were kids. They tell you that you are doing great and awesome while stabbing you in the back. Just so you know, all calls are recorded. So any tiny mistake you make is magnified to the max. If you don't have a family of your own, you will have a tough time working in this environment.

Switch the leaders from Mom mode to Professional mode. Watch your leaders more closely and how they act towards the trainees. Be direct with people and stop lying to them about their work progress. Put them through a full training program as promised for a month rather than telling them they are doing super fabulous and changing it to 8 days and setting them up for failure.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Call Center Environment, High turnover and Operations Managers show no empathy for workers.

Former Employee - Dispatcher/Customer Service Representative  in  Linthicum Heights, MD
    Former Employee - Dispatcher/Customer Service Representative in Linthicum Heights, MD

I worked at Roto-Rooter full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was able to assist customers that needed service in emergency situations. I had a very good relationship with many of the technicians and could get them to help cover additional stops to service customers in need.

Cons

Company policy was to book as many customers as possible for same day service even though they knew it was impossible to service all of the customers. we were instructed to book jobs and then call customers after waiting up to 12 hours in some instances and try to reschedule for next day service.
    Management did not care how sick employees were, they demanded that I come in and work with a broken foot even though I had a doctors note to be off for 3 days. I was told by my immediate supervisor that I didn't need my foot to do my job. he didn't care that I was medicated and supposed to keep my foot elevated. Not to mention that I was in extreme pain, taking a narcotic pain medication and was dealing with nausea from the medication.
    After being hospitalized 18 months later with MRSA I was fired for missing too much work.....

You want employees to project empathy to customers, lie about inability to service customers after overbooking and drag it out having them wait for hours on end, only to call them back before ending your shift to make false promises about first appointments the following day.
    In addition to that, demanding people come in and work while ill and or injured is ridiculous and cruel.

An excellent Company to work for!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Roto-Rooter full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People are helpful, caring and want you to succeed

Cons

none as long as your willing to work hard

Great, if you can live with going against any decent morals or values

Current Employee - Dispatch  in  Lombard, IL
    Current Employee - Dispatch in Lombard, IL

I have been working at Roto-Rooter full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

In Dispatch, once you get moved to day shift you work a 4 day week with three days off. One weekend day ( either Sat or Sunday) and 2 during the week. After 5 years of service you get 3 weeks of vacation time.The employees in the office are very friendly.They have Bingo on Friday where ( if you are scheduled to work that day) you have the opportunity to win something and on Monday's they bring breakfast items in for those on day shift. It's a casual environment, jeans and gym shoes allowed.

Cons

This one location dispatched for several of the branches in the United States but you are told to tell customers that you are local, oftentimes "by the airport" if they ask. When you are hired, that is your job. There is no room for advancement, no real promotion, no encouragement for personal development or training. Service calls are over booked all the time and you are the one that gets to lie to the customer to keep them from going to another company for service and you are the one that also gets yelled at by angry customers who have sometimes been waiting for days for a service technician. You get quarterly reviews which you are required to sign off on but that you have no control over in some areas. They do offer tuition reimbursement but that mostly applies to the plumbers they are trying to get licensed, not for those in the office trying to get a degree in hopes of furthering their career. The medical benefits are horrible. One plan, no options except take it or leave it.

A cut-throat business that teaches and encourages their techs to find things wrong so they can charge more money.

Former Employee - Excavation Tech  in  Moraine, OH
    Former Employee - Excavation Tech in Moraine, OH

I worked at Roto-Rooter full-time for less than a year

Pros

Management's only drive is how to charge more money

Cons

Workers are good people trying to make a living

Chem Corp. (owners) needs to hire more attorneys, with their practices, their going to need them!!!

Overworked,underpaid

I worked at Roto-Rooter full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lead way room for advancement good coworkers

Cons

Underpaid, tech are asked to work late to cover call still left on the board, no extra pay for working second shift or every weekend senior tech get's favoritism, not only do they work the great morning shift they don't have to work weekends at all but the get paid at a higher percentage than someone who been there less than two years oh yeah they don't work Holiday either, At least not at my branch. Having to pay for your own truck tools, and gas. You may make 40 to 50 a year but you better believe you gonna spend 20 of that in expenses

Get better dispatcher who know what they are doing, stop sending us out on bogus call that knowing well that's going to be a no Rev. Get better training for new hires can't tech years of plumbing in 12 weeks, bonus for the tech they deserve it for all their hard work, no one like to play in s@#t all day but the technician do give the monthly bonus not upper management

Avoid Avoid Roto-Rooter at all cost

Former Employee - Estimators and Excavation Techs  in  Farmingdale, NY
    Former Employee - Estimators and Excavation Techs in Farmingdale, NY

I worked at Roto-Rooter full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits if you last

Cons

Unfortunately this company is everything you don’t want. Roto-Rooter has unprofessional senior management. They have no regard for its employees except for a select few who have been with the company for years. Revolving door especially for estimators and excavation techs. Roto-Rooter really does not care about their customers. Terrible culture. Puts in Dog and Pony show when Corp execs visit.

Remember you never know when you will cross paths of former employess

Underpaid condescending hell pit

Former Employee - Dispatcher
    Former Employee - Dispatcher

I worked at Roto-Rooter full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have nothing nicew to say about the company. The interview process is inane. The managers are bottom of the barrel employees .

Cons

You are required to bait and switch, they play bingo at lunch ignoring any customer calls, which is so childish.

Low caliber employees, who are then moved up to management.
    These scripts "you're in luck" are ridiculous..
    If you saw the owner on TV...you get the whole picture...

Worked for Roto-Rooter? Contribute to the Community!