Roundy's Supermarkets

Updated November 25, 2014
1.7

Roundy's Supermarkets Chairman and CEO Bob Mariano
Bob Mariano

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are quite strong (in 4 reviews)

• good benefits and wages if you are full time or a top part time worker (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • very difficult to move up in the company, hard to get full time (in 11 reviews)

• Some of the upper management recruiters are rude and very unprofessional (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Ok

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Roundy's Supermarkets full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

pay was ok- good benefits

Cons

too many cheifs, not enough workers!

Starts with CEO, treat people good and they will provide a job well done!

Tough environment

I worked at Roundy's Supermarkets full-time

Pros

Most of the people were great to work with, very dedicated.

Cons

There is no work-life balance.

Understand how vital work-life balance is to your employees.

Senior management clueless

I worked at Roundy's Supermarkets

Pros

I liked what the job what supposed to be. Little micromanagement

Cons

Complete disregard for employees, foster a culture of blaming rather than taking responsibility and fixing the problem, cut hours to save money just to dump it all into the Illinois stores (which conveniently have the CEO's name on the buildings).

New CEO. How many more people need to leave before someone realizes the problem is not in the stores?

Inept and tone-deaf executive management

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Roundy's Supermarkets full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay isn't bad for long time employees, challenging work can be rewarding, nice coworkers

Cons

No labor hours, upper management constantly meddling, one size fits all merchandising model, hostile management culture which filters downward, idiotic uniform code

Value your brand instead of tarnishing it and treat each store equally. Stop over expanding and focus on bringing existing stores up to par. Stop passing the buck to the stores and bring some accountability to the delusional executive management team.

Very Emotionally Draining

Current Employee - Produce Manager in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Produce Manager in Appleton, WI

I have been working at Roundy's Supermarkets full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most of your coworkers become like family to you. Some of the greatest, most long lasting friendships were made there.

Cons

Corporate tells us how many hours our department can get each week and then the managers make their schedules accordingly. To say that there is a lack of adequate hours is putting it mildly. It is impossible to run a department when our hours are severely hacked, and our schedules are constantly "revised" by the upper management. Nothing ever gets done, and the workload always falls to the next employee coming in to work. As a result, things like customer service and cleaning fall by the wayside. And on the rare weeks we do get a few more hours, there are no employees to give them to because our staff consists of untrained and underpaid kids could care less about the department. There is no training programs at all. Basically one day to quickly show them what they need to do and then they are thrown to the wolves because there are no extra hours set aside to train properly.
    And to be quite honest, you are made to feel like a complete failure on a daily basis because your department looks like a mess. There is no positive reinforcement whatsoever, just upper management telling you how awful things are, and how you need to do better and how you need to live up to these unrealistic goals. There was a contant and very real feeling that my job wasnt safe purely based on the negativity that you hear everyday.
    To make it clear, I did enjoy my actual job. The company, on the other hand, is what I have a problem with. There are people who have worked for the company for 20+ years and they are ready to get out because they just can't take it anymore. You would be hardpressed to find a person in a lower-management position who hasn't at least browsed for a different job once.

Don't berate your employees and make them feel like they arent good enough. And maybe be a little bit less of "yes-men" and stick up to corporate for your employees

The job you take if you are desperate.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Kenosha, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Kenosha, WI

I have been working at Roundy's Supermarkets full-time

Pros

I am treated reasonably.

Cons

So much turnover, it wears you down. Your life works around the job. If they tell you to stay 16 hours, you have no choice.

Find a starting point to fix the situation.

Get a title, add a line to the old resume, then get out.

Current Employee - Service Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Service Operations Manager

I have been working at Roundy's Supermarkets full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is very competitive for new graduates. With bonus you will be making much more than your peers. Company dynamic is trying to change but there are many old school italian mobster types trying to prevent it from really taking hold.

Cons

There is absolutely zero work life balance with this company. 50-70 hour weeks are the expectation dependent on the needs of the business. If you have a significant other or children, expect never to see them until you have worked there for two years to finally accrue your measly two weeks paid vacation per year. Area leaders give the appearance that they care about middle management and below, but really they only care about survey responses from customers, satisfaction percentages, and ultimately the bottom line. If you ask tough questions of upper management, prepare to be given vague answers or have them play dumb with you about major company happenings until you ultimately give up out of pure frustration. This company is run by an investment company that has been trying to sell the Rainbow and Pick n' Save banner for years. They, along with the entire executive board (who have lost touch with store level operations) have no idea what it really means to run a grocery store in the current era.

Get some new perspective up top. The italian boys club is getting old and your employees are sick of watching Marianos stores prosper due to good labor budgets and not having stupid roadblocks like the other banners. Get rid of coupon books and discount cards. Go back to the EDLP business model. Thats how Roundy's killed it and differentiated themselves in the 80s and early 90s. You've lost market share for a reason. You tried to appeal to everyone and the stores have become bland and not noticeable in any respect. Employees are overworked, underpaid, and underappreciated. There is a reason you have a 1.8 out of 5 rating and the CEO has a 6% approval rating. WAKE UP!

not worth the grind

I worked at Roundy's Supermarkets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The coworkers area great people

Cons

work ridiculous with no appreciation from upper management, work life balance is nonexistent if you are salaried

Hate what my store has become!

I have been working at Roundy's Supermarkets

Pros

We have a great team at our store that works together. Benefit premiums are fairly inexpensive. When you need off it's usually not a problem.

Cons

Most of the problems come from corporate! If they would let our managers run the store the way it needs to be ran, things would be great! They give departments such little hours that it is impossible to get the work done. Full time employees don't get 40 hours, more like 35-38. There is so much pressure to try and get the work done that customer service suffers along with cleaning! It saddens me what this company is destroying!

Get in the stores and LISTEN to your employees!

Very hard work. Upper management micro-managed which would damper moral of workplace and ultimately production..

Former Employee - Warehouse in Stevens Point, WI
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Stevens Point, WI

I worked at Roundy's Supermarkets full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The money paid the bills. There was an active union which provided great benefits.

Cons

Work was extremely physical! If you weren't in decent shape, forget about it. If you worked out and went to the gym, this work will destroy your body. Have to make standards (rate) which was questionably tough. The way the program was written, felt accelerated at times and thought to be unfair.

Treat others how you would want to be treated. I had better schedules when I first started!..(weekends off)