Roundy's Supermarkets

Updated January 29, 2015
1.8

Roundy's Supermarkets Chairman and CEO Robert Mariano
Robert Mariano

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are quite strong (in 4 reviews)

• good benefits and wages if you are full time or a top part time worker (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the upper management recruiters are rude and very unprofessional (in 12 reviews)

• very difficult to move up in the company, hard to get full time (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Roundy's has been a nice experience with great opportunities.

Current Employee - Meat Lead
    Current Employee - Meat Lead

I have been working at Roundy's Supermarkets

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, opportunity to advance

Cons

micro-managed, work lots of weekends and holidays

Provide more hours to perishable departments

Just a Job

Current Employee - Cashier in Cottage Grove, WI
    Current Employee - Cashier in Cottage Grove, WI

I have been working at Roundy's Supermarkets

Pros

Flexible scheduling, loved my co workers and store managers, got paid every week on Friday

Cons

Needed to do extra training to get full time hours, which was kind of dumb considering I was a cashier, I think they just hire part time so they dont have to spend money on benefits. No employee incentives or discounts

Don't get stuck here

Former Employee - Cashier in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Roundy's Supermarkets part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The store I worked at truly had some of the best coworkers I have had the pleasure of ever working with. Flexibility in scheduling was a plus. It was an easy job to get.

Cons

The CEO has completely shifted his attention from the Wisconsin locations to the stores in Illinois (Mariano's in the Chicago area). Because of this the Wisconsin stores are obviously suffering; Mariano's is what's keeping Roundy's from going completely bankrupt.

The employee bathroom in the break room has been completely ignored. The floor hasn't been properly cleaned in months, they leave rolls of toilet paper on the ground next to the toilets since the toilet paper holders are broken. Not only is this completely unhygienic, it shows an obvious lack of concern for employee health and safety. If it's not acceptable for customers, why is this acceptable for employees? There is a self checkout machine that has been broken for months and as far as I know there have been no efforts made to have it fixed.

The pay is extremely low; if this is your only job I would advise adding a second job, or better yet, get out while you can and get a higher paying job. Some of the customers can be quite rude, you are on your feet for several hours at a time and only get 15 minute breaks (and only 2 max). I worked there because it was the only job I could get at the time.

There would be times you would find that your hours had been severely cut; apparently there is pressure from corporate to cut hours to save costs, so if you want to be sure that you're working a certain amount of hours a week I would advise looking elsewhere.

Take the time to make sure the employee break room and bathrooms are clean and up to code. Educate employees on store promotions so when they arrive, we aren't completely in the dark.

Good people in the company, top to bottom, but lots of disorganization

I worked at Roundy's Supermarkets full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Home office. Lots of good people there, some great managers who will listen and work with their employees.

Cons

Too much focus on IL, disorganization in the merchandising groups, top heavy organization, and the stores need and deserve more support.

Can't recommend working here based on the perceived shaky future of the company.

Ok

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Roundy's Supermarkets full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

pay was ok- good benefits

Cons

too many cheifs, not enough workers!

Starts with CEO, treat people good and they will provide a job well done!

Don't Believe The B.S. They Tell You

Current Employee - Deli in Hoffman Estates, IL
    Current Employee - Deli in Hoffman Estates, IL

I have been working at Roundy's Supermarkets

Pros

A Paycheck and great co-workers who are going through the same crap!!

Cons

Union dues for nothing!!!! You have TWO schedules: one in the employee break room for the UNION to see and one in your department that the UNION FAILS or DOES NOT WANT to see. This way, they give you more hours but do not pay benefits since they claim it is adjusted due to employee shortages. Has been going on for months. Department Managers are uneducated, cannot read and/or write. That way they pay less. NO overtime is allowed even when they ask you to clock-in an hour early. They will send you home an hour early. Screw the guest and service as well!!!! A million dollar company that cannot afford the proper or enough utensils for safe food handling, trash cans, brooms and dustpans. Instead, we use cardboard boxes for garbage, and use the same utensils to handle different foods.

When you do clock-in early it is YOUR responsibility to find a manager to do it; there are usually only 2 that are scheduled and that can do it, so good luck!!! Yet YOU are doing THEM the favor. It took me 4 visits to the office to finally get someone to do it ( 3 separate occasions) and then they acted like it was an inconvenience for them.

Make sure you keep a copy of your original availability, if hired. If you need to get a second job for any reason, you will need to get the Store Director's approval to change your availability. Your new availability is will not be negotiable.

They act like they are the only employer in town. Believe me, you are not, especially to those with an education AND experience!!!!

Tough environment

I worked at Roundy's Supermarkets full-time

Pros

Most of the people were great to work with, very dedicated.

Cons

There is no work-life balance.

Understand how vital work-life balance is to your employees.

Senior management clueless

I worked at Roundy's Supermarkets

Pros

I liked what the job what supposed to be. Little micromanagement

Cons

Complete disregard for employees, foster a culture of blaming rather than taking responsibility and fixing the problem, cut hours to save money just to dump it all into the Illinois stores (which conveniently have the CEO's name on the buildings).

New CEO. How many more people need to leave before someone realizes the problem is not in the stores?

Inept and tone-deaf executive management

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Roundy's Supermarkets full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay isn't bad for long time employees, challenging work can be rewarding, nice coworkers

Cons

No labor hours, upper management constantly meddling, one size fits all merchandising model, hostile management culture which filters downward, idiotic uniform code

Value your brand instead of tarnishing it and treat each store equally. Stop over expanding and focus on bringing existing stores up to par. Stop passing the buck to the stores and bring some accountability to the delusional executive management team.

Very Emotionally Draining

Former Employee - Produce Manager in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Produce Manager in Appleton, WI

I worked at Roundy's Supermarkets full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most of your coworkers become like family to you. Some of the greatest, most long lasting friendships were made there.

Cons

Corporate tells us how many hours our department can get each week and then the managers make their schedules accordingly. To say that there is a lack of adequate hours is putting it mildly. It is impossible to run a department when our hours are severely hacked, and our schedules are constantly "revised" by the upper management. Nothing ever gets done, and the workload always falls to the next employee coming in to work. As a result, things like customer service and cleaning fall by the wayside. And on the rare weeks we do get a few more hours, there are no employees to give them to because our staff consists of untrained and underpaid kids could care less about the department. There is no training programs at all. Basically one day to quickly show them what they need to do and then they are thrown to the wolves because there are no extra hours set aside to train properly.
    And to be quite honest, you are made to feel like a complete failure on a daily basis because your department looks like a mess. There is no positive reinforcement whatsoever, just upper management telling you how awful things are, and how you need to do better and how you need to live up to these unrealistic goals. There was a contant and very real feeling that my job wasnt safe purely based on the negativity that you hear everyday.
    To make it clear, I did enjoy my actual job. The company, on the other hand, is what I have a problem with. There are people who have worked for the company for 20+ years and they are ready to get out because they just can't take it anymore. You would be hardpressed to find a person in a lower-management position who hasn't at least browsed for a different job once.

Don't berate your employees and make them feel like they arent good enough. And maybe be a little bit less of "yes-men" and stick up to corporate for your employees