Roundy's Supermarkets

Updated August 25, 2014
1.8

Roundy's Supermarkets Chairman and CEO Bob Mariano
Bob Mariano

Pros
  • There is a flexible schedule available, and because I am full time, I have great benefits and a nice amount of vacation time (in 5 reviews)

• Very good training, good people at the stores (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • 5 hours a week isn't fun, even if you're told a full time position should be available for you 'soon' (in 9 reviews)

• Some of the upper management recruiters are rude and very unprofessional (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Pay but poor Working Environment

I worked at Roundy's Supermarkets full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay and benefits are quite strong

Cons

Bob Mariano berates his senior staff thereby turning them into "yes" men. The over-arching strategy is to subsidize Chicago via Milwaukee. There is no way the same store sales for Milwaukee will exceed -2% as a result. This leads to an unpleasant working environment.

Split the company so you can concentrate on Chicago (which is clearly what you want to do), and stop destroying the PNS brand in Milwaukee.

Treated like a number

I have been working at Roundy's Supermarkets full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Co-workers are the best. Like family. I have made many good friends working there.

Cons

This company does not care about their employees. Expect miracles from all of us while our hours are being cut. They don't care about you as a person.

Take care of the ones who run your stores. Instead of cutting hours on us cut costs elsewhere. For one example the amount of tags and signs that are wasted.

Corporate Roundy's

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Roundy's Supermarkets full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It's a jumping off point for new college grads.

Cons

No training for new employees.

Corporate employee turn over is rampant, find the obvious issue and eliminate it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

if you want to be treated like a number

Former Employee - Grocery Clerk  in  Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Grocery Clerk in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Roundy's Supermarkets part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

your caleoworkers are usually friendly. everybody becomes close like family. the pay and benefits are good

Cons

the company does not respect their employees very much. they only seem to care about how much sales they can make. there is never enough help in the store because the hours are always cut and they do not hire help when needed

have incentives to motivate the employees. give more positive feedback rather than focusing on the negative all the time. do things to improve employee morale. provide employee discounts

Horrible treatment at Metro Market

Former Employee - Specialty Department  in  Cottage Grove, WI
    Former Employee - Specialty Department in Cottage Grove, WI

I worked at Roundy's Supermarkets full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive salary for position. brand new store as of 2014 so, no dilapidated equipment or corner cutting.

Cons

Horrible communication, lack of leadership among department managers. Too many leaders, so lack of actual leadership, lots of changed decisions after told to do something one way, it's all of a sudden wrong, then right, then wrong, etc...

Set up a line of communication. I'd like to trust that if you say you'll pass a message on, you will.

Senior management is terrible

I have been working at Roundy's Supermarkets full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Insurance plan has cheap premiums

Cons

Senior management only allows a labor budget of 5% of sales. As a result, none of the departments ever get all of their work done, causing store-level management to treat employees like crap. Various managers at my store outright IGNORED reports from multiple employees about racism, sexual harassment, missing wages. Managers also violate almost every company policy. I was required to work off the clock hundreds of times, saw underage kids paid under the counter to work without actually being employed by the company, etc. Basically every law regarding discrimination in the workplace and labor laws were violated during my employment. None of this is lies or exaggeration.

Replace all senior management, store directors, increase labor budget to 10% or more (this is comparable to companies that are actually profitable)

Ok, if your Full time

Current Employee - Deli Clerk  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Roundy's Supermarkets full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There is a flexible schedule available, and because I am full time, I have great benefits and a nice amount of vacation time.

Cons

There is more and more pressure to get more done with fewer hours and fewer people. Even the people who have worked for the company for 20 yrs or more are looking into leaving because they are consistently hiring low wage workers who cannot perform the jobs necessary and adds stress to the people who know what they are doing.

You have to spend money to make money. Give more hours and pay more for experience. It's like Business 101.

Just not worth it unless your desperate! I honestly feel sorry for the guys who made this a career..

Former Employee - Selector/Loader  in  Oconomowoc, WI
    Former Employee - Selector/Loader in Oconomowoc, WI

I worked at Roundy's Supermarkets full-time for less than a year

Pros

Union got to raise the wage to $15.50 an hour for casuals, if you want long hours this is the place to go

Cons

You will have no life, if your a gym rat like me kiss it goodbye, youll wear yourself out and not make percentage. MANDATORY overtime EVERY NIGHT..my schedule was 2nd shift from 1pm - 9: 30 pm ...for one i NEVER got off at 9:30 and typically worked till 12:30 AM

treat your employees better, I remember working the 4th of July which was MANDATORY promising we would get off early what a joke..this company is so CHEAP couldn't even buy us pizza...many of The pallet drivers suck/dangerous. .the warehouse is too small and with SP guys coming down it will get even more dangerous and that much harder to make your percentage!! Oh and all holidays for that matter are bogus, you even work on Christmas! If you want to make money here become a supervisor, they don't do a thing but sit on their butts and get paid to yell at people. The 100% goal each day is unrealistic, Roundy's in Stevens Point plant just closed down so this place is going to be more busy and crowded than it already is. Plenty people are leaving because over time might be at least 4-5 hours from now on instead of 3 due to the extra load of 180,000 more cases a week!!!

Great High School Job

I have been working at Roundy's Supermarkets

Pros

Decent pay for a fun group of people.

Cons

Not everyone is the easiest to deal with

Don't support their greatest asset: employees.

I worked at Roundy's Supermarkets full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great insurance benefits. The company is self-insured and offer the lowest insurance rates of any company I've heard of.

Cons

The company does not support, appreciate, or respect employees.

Worked for Roundy's Supermarkets? Contribute to the Community!