Rovi

Rovi Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Rovi President & CEO Tom Carson

Tom Carson

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance initiatives makes me feel my hard work is being acknowledged(in 16 reviews)

• nice campus; convenient distance from valley; good benefits, nice (but overpriced) cafeteria(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance if you are on the RES team(in 7 reviews)

• Senior Management seems to be set on destroying the company(in 11 reviews)

Good place to work

Engineering Director (Former Employee) Radnor, PA

ProsInteresting and challenging work. Employee's are respected by management, and career growth is taken seriously. There is an active entertainment committee that organizes several social events thoughout the year.

ConsUsual large company issues. Very process oriented, little scope for innovation.

Advice to Senior ManagementLots of focus on hitting quarterly targets, need to add focus for more long term goals.

Rovi lacks direction and outsources employment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to work, good lower management
    Plenty of work if you are not outsourced

ConsUpper management is driving employees out with lack of good leadership, out-sourcing and bad direction
    They have company core values, but do not practice them themselves

Teamwork - how is there teamwork when you are replaced by an outsourcing company
    Ownership - upper management fails to take ownership of their own problem
    Customer driven - employees are also your customers, and fail to treat them well
    Innovation - upper management lacks innovation to keep their current employees happy and not outsourcing them.

Advice to Senior ManagementRovi used to be a fun place to work until the current CEO, CFO and CIO took over
    Stop out-sourcing it does not work, never has, never will
    Replace the directionless upper management
    Practice what you preach (core values)

Lots of freedom

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsRovi is a very relaxed environment where people come and go as they please. Dress is completely casual. The pay is fantastic and there are lots of company competitions and challenges with cash and other prizes.

ConsThere have been company-wide layoffs every other month since I've worked here. There doesn't seem to be a lot of upward growth and the only way to get ahead is to leave the company. The product isn't something that I'm personally passionate about.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Analytics - Great Company, Great Team

Analytics - Sales (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsThe analytics team at Rovi is a great team. I am on the sales team and really enjoy it. Even though I am remote, I am included in demo's product dev, and launch parties. I visit about every 2 months and am greeted with open arms and welcomes.

ConsMy biggest challenge is that I am remote, but wish I could be on site. They have a great time in cambridge and are changing the way people think about Rovi.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on communicating. It is getting better and it continues.

Future Looks Bright

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Radnor, PA

ProsThe company is organized. Seems to have narrowed its focus and this has resulted in a great atmosphere. Excellent work life balance initiatives makes me feel my hard work is being acknowledged. The group I work for is in multiple locations but the team does well at meeting weekly to insure targets are met and goals achieved.

ConsWould love to see more flexible working opportunities - Work from home. Hoping new office layouts will provide more places to work besides my desk

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the focus

The Place is falling apart

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, lower management is good, flexible work schedule

ConsTop heavy, wont listen to those who know what they are doing, have an "If you don't like it you can leave" attitude towards the employes (and have said so many times in company meetings). I think they are setting them selves up to be purchased.

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN to your employes, they actually know what is going on and can help you! you keep pushing "culture" but that's hard to do when you are driving everyone away

Lofty dreams. Who knows what the future holds.

Not Management (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK

ProsThere is a great deal of flexibilty, respectable compensation and a lot of talented people. Many employees have been there for a long time. Management paints a pretty picture for the future.

ConsCompensation if you are female and not in a management role is well below your male colleages. Upper management doesn't take into consideration what anyone actually contributes when laying off. Many departments are running on minimal personnel some even with single employees while management is expecting the same level of production or support.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees like adults and tell us what direction we are really going. You might stop losing your best talent and we may help you get there even if we are not in the final picture.

Unrecognizable from when I started

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA great team of professionals.

ConsWasted talent at every level.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide on and execute a strategy for more than a quarter at a time.

Enjoyable work experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsRovi has a very flexible work environment with a great work/life balance. The pay and benefits are great and they have very talented people working for them. Innovation is emphasized and there is incentive for everybody to get involved. Over all a good place to work.

ConsThe company seems to have lost its identity. In trying to recreate it by focusing on its core they may lose the ability to innovate through synergy with existing assets.

I loved my job but not everybody could say that.

Senior Visual Designer (Former Employee) Ann Arbor, MI

ProsMy group worked very independently, and was ultimately spilt off from the company.

ConsGreat benefits, but low moral in other departments that did not feel appreciated and suffered a lot of layoffs.

Worked for Rovi? Contribute to the Community!