Rovi

Rovi Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Rovi President & CEO Tom Carson

Tom Carson

Pros:
  • "Excellent work life balance initiatives makes me feel my hard work is being acknowledged"
    in 14 reviews
  • "nice campus; convenient distance from valley; good benefits, nice (but overpriced) cafeteria"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "The Senior Management steers the ship, and the ship will not go much far if it is not steered properly"
    in 11 reviews
  • "No work-life balance if you are on the RES team"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Lack of focus but great benefits and coworkers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat 401k and health plan. Flexible hours allows for work life balance.

ConsRovi acquires companies and then sells them. Therefore, don't expect long term employment. Culture of the company is not consistent between office locations because teams work in silos.

Advice to Senior ManagementDefine a strategy and instead of buying companies all the time, invest in your own talent within your organization to deliver on that strategy. Don't constantly shift directions.

Challenged with growth

Director, Program Management (Former Employee)
Burbank, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time for more than a year

ProsCutting edge technology, growth opportunity, good compensation

ConsHigh churn, challenged with cultural clashes through multiple acquisitions

Advice to Senior ManagementCut products that are not working instead of investing in them - I've often witnessed 'throwing good money after bad money'
Improve internal marketing - the staff often fails to see the value in products they're working on, resulting lower quality in their deliverables

I was hired with excitement, trained with skill, and continually feel both challenged and supported. Great company.

Human Resources (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time for less than a year

ProsComing out of my interview -- which is generally a terrifying experience -- I couldn't believe how empowered and inspired I felt by the company's driving mission and my ever-growing place within it. This company is doing such exciting, relevant work and I have never felt more valued by my department or my senior leadership team than I have here. It was an extremely warm welcome, and the work so far has been fast-paced, challenging, stimulating, and even fun. That, combined with a supportive, stellar team, has really made this next step in my career a formidable one. I am very glad to be here, and grateful that my managers communicate the same about my place within Rovi.

ConsThough it is a global company, each department seems to be segmented to a specific location. I wish there was a bit more flexibility in regards to locale -- in case I want to stay with this company but would have to move for some reason -- but I have no doubt that, if circumstances *did* present themselves as such, Rovi would definitely be flexible enough to work something out. The main thing I've observed so far is that Rovi, above all, is a conversation. Open, encouraged communication between employees, managers, and even senior managers, is the obvious crux to their continued success.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe as visible as possible to every level of your team. From a new hire's perspective, you have done an impeccable job of "bridging the gap" between upper management and all other Rovi-ans. As always, it all boils down to respect. I have personally felt immensely respected, and certainly encourage each of you to keep it up and to continue reaching out. A little small talk about someone's new puppy or a surprise coffee day can boost morale more than you know, and valued workers are the best workers.

I arrived at Rovi via acquisition. Rovi provided me with amazing new challenges, compensation and promotions.

Director of Engineering (Former Employee)

I worked at Rovi full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRewarding and challenging work for those willing to work hard and not accept failure as an option.

ConsShort and long term planning for product and engineering teams is a failure at Rovi. The company as a whole does not respect/follow the agile/scrum process with a prioritized back-log.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in product and engineering positions. Eliminate many of the sales and management positions so you can do work rather than just talk about. Don't sell what isn't built!

A true nightmare

Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
Burbank, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time for more than a year

ProsIt's a tech company with a few products.

ConsIt's a sham of a tech company with terrible management and archaic, dry, un-fun culture. Save yourselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at team turnovers and question your flawed managers for attrition

Many opportunities to make a big impact.

Director, Cloud Architecture (Current Employee)
Austin, TX

I have been working at Rovi full-time for less than a year

ProsAs many reviewers have stated, this is a company in transition. But if you're being hired now, you are part of the core business. As a member of one of these teams, there is ample opportunity for career growth. You will also get a very flexible schedule, intelligent and engaged coworkers, and the power to really make a difference.

The compensation is very good. While the market for senior IT and software professionals has been a bit crazy lately, Rovi has been able to stay competitive. Combined with the open and innovative culture and many great perks, such as no vacation policy, this is a solid choice for your next professional home.

ConsThe transition is dividing the company into the old and new teams. If you've been around for several years and feel stuck and unappreciated, you're on the wrong team. Poke your head up and look around. Reach out to a VP in charge of a team that has employees who are inspiring and doing great work, then ask for a transfer.

Another sticking point for some people is the heavy focus on innovation within the core business. If you're the kind of person who needs to be given tasks spelled out to the letter and don't enjoy finding answers and filling in the blanks, you won't like it here. Employees are expected to be self-motivated professionals who can cut their own way through the jungle and really contribute their own insights, perspectives, and experience to their work. The high-level goals are ambitious and no one can be expected to have all the answers.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think you're on the right track. The current strategy of buying back stock and focusing on the high-margin products should return the stock to earlier levels. It's painful in the interim for those working on products which are not part of the core business, but be careful to review the individuals in those businesses and retain the ones that have skills which can contribute to tasks necessary for the core business.

getting better

I have been working at Rovi full-time for more than 5 years

Prosgood benefits and some really good people

Consfragmented culture resulting from many acquisitions, politics

Advice to Senior ManagementSure morale is not as high as a few years ago, when stock price was higher, but current CEO and management is unfairly blamed. Those reviewers who seem to suggest former CEO Fred can do no wrong have either conveniently forgotten or ignored that the stock price started dropping before he left (not as a result of losing Fred as CEO) and the Sonic acquisition (when we clearly overpaid and have since sold many of the business units) was during Fred's tenure

Rovi is a great place to work, but offers little in the way of promotions.

Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Rovi full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCommitted to the satisfaction of employees. Open to feedback. Kind, engaged executive team. Great benefits. Good work/life balance, for the most part.

ConsThere isn't a lot of room to grow. No obvious career path past entry level positions. Limited respect for employees with a lot of tenure.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on developing and rewarding existing employees.

A company with no leadership

Director, Product Management (Current Employee)
Playa Vista, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people that I work with are very hard working, accountable and great to work with.

ConsThere is no true leadership at Rovi. Some of the VP's and above who are company leaders seem to only serve themselves verses the business needed or helping define growth potential for the company. The company has gone through several company strategy planning changes in the past 2 years. It's seems each year there is a new direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep down and find leadership that understands the business. Do not go through more strategy planning every year. Care about the people that make up your company.

So far, so good!

Program Manager (Current Employee)
Golden, CO

I have been working at Rovi full-time for less than a year

Pros- My office in Golden has a great office culture, office perks, and a wonderful community of people.
- Rovi employees are generally smart, friendly, motivated people.
- HR has fantastic, competitive benefits
- I have a great work-life balance, schedule flexibility, and much lower stress levels.
- Travel perks and realistic travel policies
- Rovi has interesting, complex products, and a vision for the future of entertainment
- Agile / SCRUM

Cons- Rovi seems to have a continually changing organization. I've only been here a short time and have already switched managers, directors, and VPs in that time.
- There is a lack of trust in executive management since the change in CEO.
- Although the IT department is very helpful and effective, the technical tools that they have to work with are sub-par in some areas.
- There are too many status meetings.

Advice to Senior Management- Rovi is suffering from the lack of a common culture and trust due to the integration of so many small companies and offices. Please develop a plan to truly integrate these companies and let all voices be heard if you want an environment of trust and collaboration.
- Agile/RPM adoption - Executive and upper management training, understanding, and support is desperately needed in order to make Agile successful at Rovi.
- Invest in Product Management - we have too few quality, dedicated product managers and product owners for the number of products we are supporting. This is also critical for agile success.
- Invest in high-quality IT tools to make people more effective. Much time and frustration can be saved with these tools. (i.e. MS Lync Enterprise vs. Lync Basic, or Rally vs. VersionOne)

Worked for Rovi? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rovi reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rovi CEO Tom Carson. All 163 reviews posted anonymously by Rovi employees.