Rovi

Rovi Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Rovi President & CEO Tom Carson

Tom Carson

Pros:
  • "Excellent work life balance initiatives makes me feel my hard work is being acknowledged"
    in 15 reviews
  • "nice campus; convenient distance from valley; good benefits, nice (but overpriced) cafeteria"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior Management seems to be set on destroying the company"
    in 11 reviews
  • "No work-life balance if you are on the RES team"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A company with no leadership

Director, Product Management (Current Employee)
    Playa Vista, CA

ProsThe people that I work with are very hard working, accountable and great to work with.

ConsThere is no true leadership at Rovi. Some of the VP's and above who are company leaders seem to only serve themselves verses the business needed or helping define growth potential for the company. The company has gone through several company strategy planning changes in the past 2 years. It's seems each year there is a new direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep down and find leadership that understands the business. Do not go through more strategy planning every year. Care about the people that make up your company.

Think twice or look else where

Santa Clara, CA

ProsThe employee base is mixed with old and new employees from acquisitions. The Pro's are the non managerial employees who work hard and long for the immediate Managers or Supervisors. Benefits are great and salaries tends to on the higher end.

ConsExecutive Management are lost after changes to CEO and CFO. Most of management brought in by the previous management has been terminated or has quite sadly. Be prepared to work long hours and no real feed back on your hard work. Many employee just count their blessing that they have a job for another day.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and up front with your lower management teams and your employees. Not upsetting the new management by pointing on what's really wrong with the company and living in fear for doing so, is no way to run a business. The previous management team ran a successful business way before you were acquired. Though you can't bring them back, you could learn from the road map and decisions they made that effected the work place, and the stock prices.

So far, so good!

Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Golden, CO

Pros- My office in Golden has a great office culture, office perks, and a wonderful community of people.
    - Rovi employees are generally smart, friendly, motivated people.
    - HR has fantastic, competitive benefits
    - I have a great work-life balance, schedule flexibility, and much lower stress levels.
    - Travel perks and realistic travel policies
    - Rovi has interesting, complex products, and a vision for the future of entertainment
    - Agile / SCRUM

Cons- Rovi seems to have a continually changing organization. I've only been here a short time and have already switched managers, directors, and VPs in that time.
    - There is a lack of trust in executive management since the change in CEO.
    - Although the IT department is very helpful and effective, the technical tools that they have to work with are sub-par in some areas.
    - There are too many status meetings.

Advice to Senior Management- Rovi is suffering from the lack of a common culture and trust due to the integration of so many small companies and offices. Please develop a plan to truly integrate these companies and let all voices be heard if you want an environment of trust and collaboration.
    - Agile/RPM adoption - Executive and upper management training, understanding, and support is desperately needed in order to make Agile successful at Rovi.
    - Invest in Product Management - we have too few quality, dedicated product managers and product owners for the number of products we are supporting. This is also critical for agile success.
    - Invest in high-quality IT tools to make people more effective. Much time and frustration can be saved with these tools. (i.e. MS Lync Enterprise vs. Lync Basic, or Rally vs. VersionOne)

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

New graduate in the QA industry

QA Engineer (Former Employee)
    Burbank, CA

ProsThere were a lot of different projects. Got experience in SOAP / REST webservices, MongoDB and first time industry experience. Flexible work environment with understanding managers

ConsThey were downsizing due to a failed project. People were switched between projects due to the downsizing. Personally didn't want to be QA engineer so didn't like some of the tasks performed

Improving Company, Great Benefits/Compensation, decent culture

Accountant (Current Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsThe company seems to be trying hard to steady the ship over the past year. It seems like the company is heading in the right direction. The company has great benefits (i.e., health, compensation package) and tries hard to put money into improving employee morale. I feel like I am growing and developing but that might be just because of the manager I am working for. Also, the flexibility at the company is fantastic. You need to get the work done, but there is also a good understanding within the whole team regarding flexibility.

ConsThe biggest con is probably politics. It seems like it is improving, though.

After reviewing quite a few previous reviews of Rovi here on Glassdoor I tend to agree with most...for better or worse.

Burbank, CA

ProsThe pay is above average from my personal research online. Excellent health benefits. The 401k plan is in line with most in the industry. The ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Program) is great. It was certainly a nice bonus every six months when the stock was surging a few years ago under Fred Amoroso but now that it's sliding it's obviously not quite as rewarding. None the less, it's a great option.

ConsThe constant horizontal shuffling of mid-management seems to do little but confuse non-management. Expectations from one manager to the next vary and impact reviews when it comes time for feedback. It makes it difficult to ensure you're on the right path to meeting those expectations. It makes receiving more than a typical "meeting expectations" review unlikely. Decisions as to who is promoted to oversee different departments doesn't make sense. Rovi is concentrating it's efforts in the Service Provider vertical but putting Consumer Electronics centric personnel in positions of leadership over those with vast knowledge and excellent leadership qualities. Because of several acquisitions over the past 4-5 years the culture is mixed. There's a lot of nepotism at the top as I read in a previous review. It's definitely a team of good 'ol boys running the show. The theme of those in the trenches seems to be that management doesn't 'get it'. I'm not of that camp but I do find myself scratching my head over many of the decisions made at the top.

Advice to Senior Management1. When your company is reviewed and determined to be the "worst place in Silicon Valley to work" you might want to take an objective view of why rather than telling everyone in your employ not to let the door hit them in the ass on the way out. I can't think of a better morale killer or way encourage people to keep their opinions to themselves.

2. Convince Fred Amoroso to come out of retirement.

Good ideas, poor implementation

Manager, Operations (Former Employee)
    Radnor, PA

ProsMain pros would be Rovi's loyal employees at the bottom / entry level as well as the intercultural aspect of the company. It never gets boring and it is great to be associated with the biggest names in the industry.

ConsThe leadership needs to get their vision across, however the vision changes every few months. There is never consistency about the long term goals or company culture. In addition, the leadership also frequently changes - therefore the above. It seems that the company jumps from one big project into another without finishing it up, or learning from past mistakes. Not extremely stable or trustworthy environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more respect for your employees, many promises are made but not executed.

Great company

Content Editor (Current Employee)
    Radnor, PA

ProsThe benefits are exceptional. The company offers time flexibility and encourages life and work balance. They hire very talented and committed people, making the work environment extraordinarily pleasant.

ConsThere are few wrings on the career ladder in most departments. The company is very compartmentalized; each team deals with its issues and company policies differently.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on caring for employees’ satisfaction and follow thru with the new improvements.

Going downhill constantly

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Burbank, CA

Pros- Above average pay.
    - Great medical benefit
    - Good 401K match.
    - Flexible work hours.

Cons- Incompetent C-level executives. CEO and CFO do not have any prior experience as C-Level executives.
    - No future plan or vision or product.
    - Constant re-org, rather than focusing on actual "management"
    - Strong nepotism exists in upper level management

Advice to Senior Management- Please check Glassdoor and see how your employees feel about company's direction and future.
    - I honestly do not understand why board is not willing to replace Tom to someone else.

review

Manager - Program Management (Current Employee)
    Playa Vista, CA

Prosgood culture, value their employees

Consneed to find new innovations for growth

Worked for Rovi? Contribute to the Community!

Rovi Videos

Rovi – Why Work for Us?

Profile At Rovi, we connect people to the entertainment they love. Our products and services power some of the most iconic entertainment and technology brands around the world including Comcast, Samsung, iTunes and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rovi reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rovi CEO Tom Carson. All 177 reviews posted anonymously by Rovi employees.