Rovi Reviews

236 reviews filtered by
2.7
Rovi President & CEO Tom Carson
Tom Carson

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance initiatives makes me feel my hard work is being acknowledged (in 18 reviews)

• Good benefits, flexible time off and industry standard pay (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existant once you become a leader (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't take into consideration what anyone actually contributes when laying off (in 13 reviews)

1. Software Engg

I have been working at Rovi

Pros

Nice place to work with good opportunities

Cons

Nothing that I can think of

2. Great place to work - Boston, MA location

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rovi

Pros

This is a review for the Boston, MA location. The office is state of the art in the heart of downtown (Fort Point/Seaport area). You will work with some really smart and talented engineers who are dedicated and motivated for the team to succeed.

- Parking and commuter passes available
    - Competitive pay
    - Great benefits
    - Unlimited vacation
    - Small company feel backed by a larger public company
    - Innovative; you'll have a chance to be creative and express ideas

Cons

Nobody knows the company.

Invest money into marketing the company in the Boston area. There is a lot of engineering talent in this competitive market. Rovi needs to differentiate itself from larger more established companies in the area.

If you are fortunate enough to have an opportunity to work for Rovi...JUMP ON IT!!

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Rovi

Pros

GREAT people
    High morale
    Nice office
    Great cafe
    Free soda, coffee and tea
    Free, catered breakfast on Fridays
    Subsidized vending machines. (Everything is .25¢)
    Casual dress, (jeans)
    I could go on and on...

Cons

None that I'm aware of.

Keep up the GREAT work!!

Average Workplace

I have been working at Rovi full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good work life balance, relaxed environment

Cons

lots of politics,
    lack of direction and vision
    constant layoffs
    outsourcing everything
    lots of middle level managers, directors, sr. directors etc who do nothing
    constant re-orgs and changes, no focus
    keeps on acquiring other companies and does nothing with them

get rid of a lot of middle level managers, directors etc and save cost.
    invest in training your employees

6. Growing company with small company feel

I have been working at Rovi

Pros

This is a friendly company. It is big, but not so big that bureaucracy gets in the way. After the recent reorganizations, the company seems to have a clear vision for the future.

Cons

IT support has been outsourced, which causes some technical issues when you first start.

Keep focused on our products and core IP business. Continue to grow our business while improving our image. Continue to improve our talent by hiring more talented people.

Inept corporate leadership.

Current Employee - Data Entry in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Data Entry in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Rovi full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Annual bonuses and stock purchase plan available. My location's environment used to be vibrant and was staffed by intelligent, interesting people.

Cons

Executive officers are inept. Their solution for any problem is to outsource workers and hire more VPs. So far they have outsourced IT, HR, and now the bulk of their data services will be shipped to India. The structure is top heavy and lacks a coherent long-term strategy. Workers are left feeling that it is only a matter of time until their job is eliminated making for a toxic work environment.

Simplify the managerial structure by eliminating excessive VP positions. Develop a coherent long-term strategy instead of simply reacting to momentary flux.

Dysfunctional leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great potential with a who’s who list of customers, nice colleagues, flexible hours, good cafeteria, free & great catered Friday breakfast.

Cons

Easily one of the most dysfunctional companies, without leadership accountability. They just lay off people as an easy solution whenever something doesn’t go well. Constant layoffs lead to ever-changing directions, short-term focus, survival games, severe knowledge discontinuity & gaps, huge spending on myriad consultants to fill knowledge gaps, lower productivity, frequent product delays, higher recruiting and training costs, lower morale, and employees’ animosity toward management (shown by extremely low Glassdoor.com rating). These side effects result in underperformance and more layoffs, reinforcing the layoff culture.

It’s virtually impossible to realize the Company’s great potential in the digital media without breaking the layoff-underperformance-layoff vicious cycle. This can only happen with a significant change of governance structure.

9. Benefits of a large company with feel of a smaller company.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Rovi is a large company with offices around the US, this review is for the Boston area office. I really enjoy working here, it has the feel of a medium size company with the benefits of a large company. The work schedule is flexible which is great for commuters to avoid the traffic. The work is interesting, very little mundane work since there is always something new to work on. The managers are great, easy to talk to if you have issues.

Cons

Boston traffic is stupid.

They were ok

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits , clear path to advancement

Cons

too political
    slow to adopt change
    no real vision

use some of that patent troll money to build great tools instead of awful ones

A five star review, wow! (do you know how to read?)

I have been working at Rovi full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lower management and individual contributors are highly motivated, sociable, and will consistently go above and beyond to deliver, not for the senior management lip service but because they recognize the team effort and camaraderie. It was a great place to work until about 2012 when many of the senior leaders who knew a thing or two about motivation evaporated.

There once was a sense of camaraderie, of pride when talking about what you did for a living, but those days are done.

Cons

My fellow reviewer has waxed poetic in "Rovi: A Kafka-esque firm led by inept, feckless executive team that makes Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" look like sanity" and another has covered many salient points in the "Rearranging the Deck Chairs on the Titanic". The astute observer will note it was called "Titanic" and not the RMS Queen Mary, which went on to some level of greatness.

There is a staggering number of resets and absolutely no courage on the part of management to make bets and take a leadership position in a market where it was once a pioneer. It can be argued that the Patent Portfolio has somewhat poisoned the well, but this company has time and again committed itself to being a product company without letting product owners actually vet visions and finish conducting its business. The latest round of seemingly socially-awkward leaders really do take the cake in running the business based on numbers and endless broad market research while actually minimizing customer interactions. Hey, guess who pays the bills?

Check and balance are absent, and there is no demonstrable effort to actually learn this history - good or bad - and how we got to this point. There is no visible effort to interact with employee or have a decent hallway conversation. Any manner of professional courtesy is also out the window. Did I miss the memo that we hired Hal?

The fact that I rated it 5 stars is actually a test. If you're the kind of person that looks at the top line without reading the details, you definitely deserve a shot at Rovi. It may just be the place for you.

This place gets a 1 star rating, and I could put my Yelp hat on, I'd be whining about the absence of a ZERO star rating.

Stop listening to consultants whose jobs are to extract more revenue by horse whispering. Stop focusing on fixing perceptions or artificially creating. Stop hinting at members of the change coalition to post positive reviews on Glassdoor. Have a shred of dignity.

Make it a fun place to work, and make people WANT to come into the office by making it a socially interactive place. But, that isn't going to happen with the current crew.

You know what though, I don't disapprove of Tom. He's been put in a tough spot but I respect his ability to engage. He just needs to have less clowns around him.