Rovi

Updated February 26, 2015
2.5

Rovi President & CEO Tom Carson
Tom Carson

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance initiatives makes me feel my hard work is being acknowledged (in 18 reviews)

• Good benefits, flexible time off and industry standard pay (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existant once you become a leader (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't take into consideration what anyone actually contributes when laying off (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Niche company with great working environment

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Rovi full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lot of very very intelligent people to work with, several of them are IIT alumni, very niche high tech work in some groups but not all groups, great location in Central Business District, light on process, pays above market, serves great free breakfast, lunch and evening snacks, pool table, foosball, ping-pong and many entertainment avenues, flexible timings and great work life balance. India center in growth phase.

Cons

Lack of proper policies and procedures. It is on it's way......

Please make of the great talent pool available in Bangalore, India and the cost benefit. All big companies of the world are making great use of it and Rovi should leverage that advantage as well, in a big way.

Benefits of a large company with feel of a smaller company.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Rovi is a large company with offices around the US, this review is for the Boston area office. I really enjoy working here, it has the feel of a medium size company with the benefits of a large company. The work schedule is flexible which is great for commuters to avoid the traffic. The work is interesting, very little mundane work since there is always something new to work on. The managers are great, easy to talk to if you have issues.

Cons

Boston traffic is stupid.

Data Analytics team rocks!!!!!!

Former Employee - Server Side Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Server Side Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Rovi full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I had a wonderful time working for the Data Analytics team in Cambridge, MA. Awesome people around. Everyone is understanding and friendly. Awesome products. Healthy work-life balance. Good atmosphere. A very fresh team comprised of talented developers, quality engineers and data scientists.

Perfect place for freshers and mid-level senior engineers. Great opportunities to learn and innovate and a chance to work on the latest big data technologies.

Also, they are moving to even a bigger space in Boston area in Q1 2015, which is nice too.

About company benefits:
    Good compensation.
    Good bonus plan.
    Awesome Employee Stock Purchase plan with 24 months look back.
    401k right from the join date.

Cons

No Cons. Really!!!!!

For few personal reasons, I had to make a hard decision to move out from Massachusetts, but otherwise, I really enjoyed working for the Data Analytics group.

Just continue encouraging the Data Analytics team.

Really good company to work for!

Current Employee - N/A in Radnor, PA
    Current Employee - N/A in Radnor, PA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employees have good benefits, at least 4 weeks of vacation a year, a modern workplace and bonuses! My team is amazing and my manager is very flexible and understanding. I've been working at Rovi for over 2 years and I love it!

Cons

Some employees do not appreaciate what this company offers and they create a negative environment in the office.

You're on the right track!

A five star review, wow! (do you know how to read?)

I have been working at Rovi full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lower management and individual contributors are highly motivated, sociable, and will consistently go above and beyond to deliver, not for the senior management lip service but because they recognize the team effort and camaraderie. It was a great place to work until about 2012 when many of the senior leaders who knew a thing or two about motivation evaporated.

There once was a sense of camaraderie, of pride when talking about what you did for a living, but those days are done.

Cons

My fellow reviewer has waxed poetic in "Rovi: A Kafka-esque firm led by inept, feckless executive team that makes Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" look like sanity" and another has covered many salient points in the "Rearranging the Deck Chairs on the Titanic". The astute observer will note it was called "Titanic" and not the RMS Queen Mary, which went on to some level of greatness.

There is a staggering number of resets and absolutely no courage on the part of management to make bets and take a leadership position in a market where it was once a pioneer. It can be argued that the Patent Portfolio has somewhat poisoned the well, but this company has time and again committed itself to being a product company without letting product owners actually vet visions and finish conducting its business. The latest round of seemingly socially-awkward leaders really do take the cake in running the business based on numbers and endless broad market research while actually minimizing customer interactions. Hey, guess who pays the bills?

Check and balance are absent, and there is no demonstrable effort to actually learn this history - good or bad - and how we got to this point. There is no visible effort to interact with employee or have a decent hallway conversation. Any manner of professional courtesy is also out the window. Did I miss the memo that we hired Hal?

The fact that I rated it 5 stars is actually a test. If you're the kind of person that looks at the top line without reading the details, you definitely deserve a shot at Rovi. It may just be the place for you.

This place gets a 1 star rating, and I could put my Yelp hat on, I'd be whining about the absence of a ZERO star rating.

Stop listening to consultants whose jobs are to extract more revenue by horse whispering. Stop focusing on fixing perceptions or artificially creating. Stop hinting at members of the change coalition to post positive reviews on Glassdoor. Have a shred of dignity.

Make it a fun place to work, and make people WANT to come into the office by making it a socially interactive place. But, that isn't going to happen with the current crew.

You know what though, I don't disapprove of Tom. He's been put in a tough spot but I respect his ability to engage. He just needs to have less clowns around him.

Great work place. Good benefits.

I have been working at Rovi

Pros

Good Benefits. Good work culture.

Cons

Cross group initiatives across projects and long term research

Focus more on r&d

A nice place to work

I have been working at Rovi full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good compensation, interesting people, lead company

Cons

A challenge is the training program

Good place to work

Former Employee - Engineering Director in Radnor, PA
    Former Employee - Engineering Director in Radnor, PA

I worked at Rovi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting and challenging work. Employee's are respected by management, and career growth is taken seriously. There is an active entertainment committee that organizes several social events thoughout the year.

Cons

Usual large company issues. Very process oriented, little scope for innovation.

Lots of focus on hitting quarterly targets, need to add focus for more long term goals.

Analytics - Great Company, Great Team

Current Employee - Analytics - Sales in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Analytics - Sales in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The analytics team at Rovi is a great team. I am on the sales team and really enjoy it. Even though I am remote, I am included in demo's product dev, and launch parties. I visit about every 2 months and am greeted with open arms and welcomes.

Cons

My biggest challenge is that I am remote, but wish I could be on site. They have a great time in cambridge and are changing the way people think about Rovi.

Keep on communicating. It is getting better and it continues.

Future Looks Bright

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Radnor, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Radnor, PA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company is organized. Seems to have narrowed its focus and this has resulted in a great atmosphere. Excellent work life balance initiatives makes me feel my hard work is being acknowledged. The group I work for is in multiple locations but the team does well at meeting weekly to insure targets are met and goals achieved.

Cons

Would love to see more flexible working opportunities - Work from home. Hoping new office layouts will provide more places to work besides my desk

Keep the focus