Rovi

Updated November 19, 2014
2.6

Rovi President & CEO Tom Carson
Tom Carson

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance initiatives makes me feel my hard work is being acknowledged (in 16 reviews)

• Good benefits, flexible time off and industry standard pay (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existant once you become a leader (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management constantly telling employees to leave (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

A five star review, wow! (do you know how to read?)

I have been working at Rovi full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lower management and individual contributors are highly motivated, sociable, and will consistently go above and beyond to deliver, not for the senior management lip service but because they recognize the team effort and camaraderie. It was a great place to work until about 2012 when many of the senior leaders who knew a thing or two about motivation evaporated.

There once was a sense of camaraderie, of pride when talking about what you did for a living, but those days are done.

Cons

My fellow reviewer has waxed poetic in "Rovi: A Kafka-esque firm led by inept, feckless executive team that makes Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" look like sanity" and another has covered many salient points in the "Rearranging the Deck Chairs on the Titanic". The astute observer will note it was called "Titanic" and not the RMS Queen Mary, which went on to some level of greatness.

There is a staggering number of resets and absolutely no courage on the part of management to make bets and take a leadership position in a market where it was once a pioneer. It can be argued that the Patent Portfolio has somewhat poisoned the well, but this company has time and again committed itself to being a product company without letting product owners actually vet visions and finish conducting its business. The latest round of seemingly socially-awkward leaders really do take the cake in running the business based on numbers and endless broad market research while actually minimizing customer interactions. Hey, guess who pays the bills?

Check and balance are absent, and there is no demonstrable effort to actually learn this history - good or bad - and how we got to this point. There is no visible effort to interact with employee or have a decent hallway conversation. Any manner of professional courtesy is also out the window. Did I miss the memo that we hired Hal?

The fact that I rated it 5 stars is actually a test. If you're the kind of person that looks at the top line without reading the details, you definitely deserve a shot at Rovi. It may just be the place for you.

This place gets a 1 star rating, and I could put my Yelp hat on, I'd be whining about the absence of a ZERO star rating.

Stop listening to consultants whose jobs are to extract more revenue by horse whispering. Stop focusing on fixing perceptions or artificially creating. Stop hinting at members of the change coalition to post positive reviews on Glassdoor. Have a shred of dignity.

Make it a fun place to work, and make people WANT to come into the office by making it a socially interactive place. But, that isn't going to happen with the current crew.

You know what though, I don't disapprove of Tom. He's been put in a tough spot but I respect his ability to engage. He just needs to have less clowns around him.

Great work place. Good benefits.

I have been working at Rovi

Pros

Good Benefits. Good work culture.

Cons

Cross group initiatives across projects and long term research

Focus more on r&d

A nice place to work

I have been working at Rovi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good compensation, interesting people, lead company

Cons

A challenge is the training program

Good place to work

Former Employee - Engineering Director in Radnor, PA
    Former Employee - Engineering Director in Radnor, PA

I worked at Rovi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting and challenging work. Employee's are respected by management, and career growth is taken seriously. There is an active entertainment committee that organizes several social events thoughout the year.

Cons

Usual large company issues. Very process oriented, little scope for innovation.

Lots of focus on hitting quarterly targets, need to add focus for more long term goals.

Analytics - Great Company, Great Team

Current Employee - Analytics - Sales in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Analytics - Sales in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The analytics team at Rovi is a great team. I am on the sales team and really enjoy it. Even though I am remote, I am included in demo's product dev, and launch parties. I visit about every 2 months and am greeted with open arms and welcomes.

Cons

My biggest challenge is that I am remote, but wish I could be on site. They have a great time in cambridge and are changing the way people think about Rovi.

Keep on communicating. It is getting better and it continues.

Future Looks Bright

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Radnor, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Radnor, PA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is organized. Seems to have narrowed its focus and this has resulted in a great atmosphere. Excellent work life balance initiatives makes me feel my hard work is being acknowledged. The group I work for is in multiple locations but the team does well at meeting weekly to insure targets are met and goals achieved.

Cons

Would love to see more flexible working opportunities - Work from home. Hoping new office layouts will provide more places to work besides my desk

Keep the focus

I was hired with excitement, trained with skill, and continually feel both challenged and supported. Great company.

Current Employee - Human Resources in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Coming out of my interview -- which is generally a terrifying experience -- I couldn't believe how empowered and inspired I felt by the company's driving mission and my ever-growing place within it. This company is doing such exciting, relevant work and I have never felt more valued by my department or my senior leadership team than I have here. It was an extremely warm welcome, and the work so far has been fast-paced, challenging, stimulating, and even fun. That, combined with a supportive, stellar team, has really made this next step in my career a formidable one. I am very glad to be here, and grateful that my managers communicate the same about my place within Rovi.

Cons

Though it is a global company, each department seems to be segmented to a specific location. I wish there was a bit more flexibility in regards to locale -- in case I want to stay with this company but would have to move for some reason -- but I have no doubt that, if circumstances *did* present themselves as such, Rovi would definitely be flexible enough to work something out. The main thing I've observed so far is that Rovi, above all, is a conversation. Open, encouraged communication between employees, managers, and even senior managers, is the obvious crux to their continued success.

Be as visible as possible to every level of your team. From a new hire's perspective, you have done an impeccable job of "bridging the gap" between upper management and all other Rovi-ans. As always, it all boils down to respect. I have personally felt immensely respected, and certainly encourage each of you to keep it up and to continue reaching out. A little small talk about someone's new puppy or a surprise coffee day can boost morale more than you know, and valued workers are the best workers.

Improving Company, Great Benefits/Compensation, decent culture

Current Employee - Accountant in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company seems to be trying hard to steady the ship over the past year. It seems like the company is heading in the right direction. The company has great benefits (i.e., health, compensation package) and tries hard to put money into improving employee morale. I feel like I am growing and developing but that might be just because of the manager I am working for. Also, the flexibility at the company is fantastic. You need to get the work done, but there is also a good understanding within the whole team regarding flexibility.

Cons

The biggest con is probably politics. It seems like it is improving, though.

Great company

Current Employee - Content Editor in Radnor, PA
    Current Employee - Content Editor in Radnor, PA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are exceptional. The company offers time flexibility and encourages life and work balance. They hire very talented and committed people, making the work environment extraordinarily pleasant.

Cons

There are few wrings on the career ladder in most departments. The company is very compartmentalized; each team deals with its issues and company policies differently.

Keep on caring for employees’ satisfaction and follow thru with the new improvements.

EMEA Operation opens new views

Current Employee - Senior Director Sales in Berlin (Germany)
    Current Employee - Senior Director Sales in Berlin (Germany)

I have been working at Rovi full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very talented Engineers and Sales Force

Cons

Very positive Management and full support of sales team worldwide

No Comment