Rovi

Updated August 10, 2014

2.8

Rovi President & CEO Tom Carson
Tom Carson

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance initiatives makes me feel my hard work is being acknowledged (in 16 reviews)

• nice campus; convenient distance from valley; good benefits, nice (but overpriced) cafeteria (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance if you are on the RES team (in 7 reviews)

• Senior Management seems to be set on destroying the company (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Seen many changes, not many good

Pros

Pay, varied projects, somewhat autonomous work environment.

Cons

Talent retention people don't communicate with the personnel people.

Have focus, be more brave and willing to take a risk.

So far So Good

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Radnor, PA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Radnor, PA

Pros

Even though its un balanced at times, I feel the workload and projects seem to be organized. It too early for me to reach any conclusion about this company, but I love it so far. Office culture is great. work-life balance is great.

Cons

No transparency between various departments, feels like every department is trying to save themselves. It does not feel like they all are working for a common purpose.

Has to strive to bring transparency between various departments. Take measures to communicate goals and deadline across departments.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Engineering Director  in  Radnor, PA
    Former Employee - Engineering Director in Radnor, PA

Pros

Interesting and challenging work. Employee's are respected by management, and career growth is taken seriously. There is an active entertainment committee that organizes several social events thoughout the year.

Cons

Usual large company issues. Very process oriented, little scope for innovation.

Lots of focus on hitting quarterly targets, need to add focus for more long term goals.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Priorities are distorted

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Radnor, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Radnor, PA

Pros

Good folks trying to do their best in a very cool business space

Cons

Slaves to wall street. Priorities are all tactical to meet quarterly guidance. Employees are not valued and are just another expense to be managed.

Management should show some respect for core values instead of just promoting them to employees. Stop making everything reactive and show some strategic thought. Stop reorganizing and making your employees feel like they could be next on the chopping block at any time.

Lots of freedom

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Rovi is a very relaxed environment where people come and go as they please. Dress is completely casual. The pay is fantastic and there are lots of company competitions and challenges with cash and other prizes.

Cons

There have been company-wide layoffs every other month since I've worked here. There doesn't seem to be a lot of upward growth and the only way to get ahead is to leave the company. The product isn't something that I'm personally passionate about.

Lofty dreams. Who knows what the future holds.

Current Employee - Not Management  in  Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Not Management in Tulsa, OK

Pros

There is a great deal of flexibilty, respectable compensation and a lot of talented people. Many employees have been there for a long time. Management paints a pretty picture for the future.

Cons

Compensation if you are female and not in a management role is well below your male colleages. Upper management doesn't take into consideration what anyone actually contributes when laying off. Many departments are running on minimal personnel some even with single employees while management is expecting the same level of production or support.

Treat employees like adults and tell us what direction we are really going. You might stop losing your best talent and we may help you get there even if we are not in the final picture.

Rovi lacks direction and outsources employment

Pros

Great place to work, good lower management
    Plenty of work if you are not outsourced

Cons

Upper management is driving employees out with lack of good leadership, out-sourcing and bad direction
    They have company core values, but do not practice them themselves

Teamwork - how is there teamwork when you are replaced by an outsourcing company
    Ownership - upper management fails to take ownership of their own problem
    Customer driven - employees are also your customers, and fail to treat them well
    Innovation - upper management lacks innovation to keep their current employees happy and not outsourcing them.

Rovi used to be a fun place to work until the current CEO, CFO and CIO took over
    Stop out-sourcing it does not work, never has, never will
    Replace the directionless upper management
    Practice what you preach (core values)

Analytics - Great Company, Great Team

Current Employee - Analytics - Sales  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Analytics - Sales in Cambridge, MA

Pros

The analytics team at Rovi is a great team. I am on the sales team and really enjoy it. Even though I am remote, I am included in demo's product dev, and launch parties. I visit about every 2 months and am greeted with open arms and welcomes.

Cons

My biggest challenge is that I am remote, but wish I could be on site. They have a great time in cambridge and are changing the way people think about Rovi.

Keep on communicating. It is getting better and it continues.

Future Looks Bright

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Radnor, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Radnor, PA

Pros

The company is organized. Seems to have narrowed its focus and this has resulted in a great atmosphere. Excellent work life balance initiatives makes me feel my hard work is being acknowledged. The group I work for is in multiple locations but the team does well at meeting weekly to insure targets are met and goals achieved.

Cons

Would love to see more flexible working opportunities - Work from home. Hoping new office layouts will provide more places to work besides my desk

Keep the focus

The Place is falling apart

Pros

Great benefits, lower management is good, flexible work schedule

Cons

Top heavy, wont listen to those who know what they are doing, have an "If you don't like it you can leave" attitude towards the employes (and have said so many times in company meetings). I think they are setting them selves up to be purchased.

LISTEN to your employes, they actually know what is going on and can help you! you keep pushing "culture" but that's hard to do when you are driving everyone away

Worked for Rovi? Contribute to the Community!