Rovi Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. significant long-term upside

I have been working at Rovi full-time

Pros

great recent additions to leadership and solid business strategy. first-rate benefits, flexible working environment. TONS of upside for the company...

Cons

Some challenges with long-time middle mgmt embracing new products direction, but problem is self-correcting with normal churn and smart new hires/internal promotions

Senior Director

I have been working at Rovi full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are very fair. Vacation time policy is also nice. I like my boss a lot, he is reasonable and fair and a really nice guy. I also like the people I work with.

Cons

Management changes are frustrating. Many layoffs and downsizing events have occurred. Never clear who is leaving. Stock price continues to wallow.

Advice to Management

HR department is poor in my opinion. Seems like they blow smoke - which is not atypical for HR in general. Lots of consultant-speak from some execs. Some on the senior management team seem to have a sense of entitlement which is frustrating...

Completely Void of Leadership

I have been working at Rovi (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits were in line with industry. Some bright and talented individuals work at Rovi.

Cons

No leadership, no direction, no new products and it now seems that the only thing keeping the ship afloat, patents, are worthless. Listening to the executives try to convince the street otherwise on the last earnings call left me feeling embarrassed for them. Carson's voice was cracking as if he were an intern at his first interview.

Advice to Management

Pump so I can dump! A previous review suggested Rovi should concern themselves more with their employees than their stockholders' short-term expectations. True. Rovi epitomizes what's wrong with business today. However, with the obvious inability to deliver the numbers it's tough to say Rovi's looking out for shareholders either.

Reporter

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Rovi (More than 5 years)

Pros

The opportunities for overtime, thanks to a fairly constant turnover in staff, were plentiful if desired, and before nearly all the jobs were outsourced.

Cons

Remarkably stupid recapitulation of previous mistakes by previous ownership and management teams, all looking for a golden bullet that minimizes expenses without hurting quality of product, but there's never a willingness to follow through with what might be necessary to achieve this in terms of resources. So, instead, good employees were constantly being let go and often being rehired when it became obvious that yet another Brilliant Managerial Innovation had failed rather similarly to the previous one. This did nothing to improve morale nor the quality of the product, whether we speak of engineering or data production and information flow.

Advice to Management

Take your gilded parachutes and leave. Perhaps a management that doesn't hold its employees in utter contempt might actually manage to keep both quality and customer satisfaction as better rather than worse, as well as not insulting as well as driving away many of the best staff.

Outsourcing Central

Pros

Great benefits, flexible hours, worthy product.

Cons

Low end of the pay scale for my position, outsourcing jobs overseas is S.O.P., directionless executives are an albatross.

Managment's Plan : "Look at the new, shiny object"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Radnor, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Radnor, PA

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good pay, bonus and benefits package - Generous employee stock purchase plan - Free food, pretty often - Low stress and flexible work schedule

Cons

- Jumping from project to project : "New, Shiny Object" - Poor product management, zero customer input used - Release/deployments are a joke, for a company that does this constantly you would hope they stop making the same mistakes over and over. - Buying companies and never fully integrating the software or people

Advice to Management

Rely on the people you have and don't be afraid to let go of the people that do nothing. Outsourcing only works in certain situations, and it usually takes a long while to get teams up to speed in order to replace people. Most tech companies have realized this years ago, but Rovi seems like a tech company that is about 5 years behind the times in everything.

8. Sr software engineer

I worked at Rovi part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Typically good working conditions.

Cons

Constantly changing management direction.

Where careers, ideas, acquisions, and patent lawsuits go to die.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool teammates. Although near the end this did not matter since the entire team was laid off! If you do high-profile work and get invited to the annual President's Club trip, it's an experience of a lifetime. If not for Rovi I would not have received an all expenses paid trip to Turks & Caicos! I never understood why I was invited to attend, the executives kept to themselves and did not mingle with the employees so nobody was ever able to make any sense of it. Free food and lodging and casino though!

Cons

Most of my teammates including my manager were laid off late last year. The survivors and I were never informed why. The project was still underway and scheduled to continue. We were asked to take on the work of the entire departed team in exchange for Big Things in the annual review. After busting my butt for yet another Rovi product that did not ship and is used by exactly No customers, no Big Things were granted. So I took my patent plaques and left. Morale is really bad here. Firings are nonstop. Every fired engineer is replaced by a new vp. There are more vp and lawyers at Rovi than anyone else. No code is ever shipped. No products ever delivered. A previous manager once said the engineering organization existed to brainstorm patents not ship code. There is not even a mechanism for getting anything to market here. That manager was fired too long ago.

Advice to Management

Rovi is a patent trolling company that is now losing patent cases. The stock is down 50%. People are quitting or getting fired left and right. There are 3-4 vps for every engineer. There is not a single product in the world that anyone can buy, use, or see from Rovi. It is all patent licenses and lawsuits, all consumer businesses were sold (for a loss) in 2013 and 2014. My advice to management is to convert all remaining software developers to VPs (so there is a 1:0 ratio of VP to engineer) and relocate the company to Turks and Caicos since at that point everyone will be eligible for Presidents Club.

It's all true

I have been working at Rovi full-time

Pros

The paycheck was always deposited on time.

Cons

Everything you read on Glassdoor is true.

Advice to Management

Call it a day and lean the company down to just being an IP based lawsuit company. That's what the Plano office is all about anyway.

11. Heading in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Rovi full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Smart people; narrowed focus on core competence; solid, aligned investments.

Cons

Challenged how to handle intellectual property balanced with product sales.

Advice to Management

Practice and live corporate values.

RSS Feed </> Embed