Rovi Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Where careers, ideas, acquisions, and patent lawsuits go to die.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool teammates. Although near the end this did not matter since the entire team was laid off! If you do high-profile work and get invited to the annual President's Club trip, it's an experience of a lifetime. If not for Rovi I would not have received an all expenses paid trip to Turks & Caicos! I never understood why I was invited to attend, the executives kept to themselves and did not mingle with the employees so nobody was ever able to make any sense of it. Free food and lodging and casino though!

Cons

Most of my teammates including my manager were laid off late last year. The survivors and I were never informed why. The project was still underway and scheduled to continue. We were asked to take on the work of the entire departed team in exchange for Big Things in the annual review. After busting my butt for yet another Rovi product that did not ship and is used by exactly No customers, no Big Things were granted. So I took my patent plaques and left. Morale is really bad here. Firings are nonstop. Every fired engineer is replaced by a new vp. There are more vp and lawyers at Rovi than anyone else. No code is ever shipped. No products ever delivered. A previous manager once said the engineering organization existed to brainstorm patents not ship code. There is not even a mechanism for getting anything to market here. That manager was fired too long ago.

Advice to Management

Rovi is a patent trolling company that is now losing patent cases. The stock is down 50%. People are quitting or getting fired left and right. There are 3-4 vps for every engineer. There is not a single product in the world that anyone can buy, use, or see from Rovi. It is all patent licenses and lawsuits, all consumer businesses were sold (for a loss) in 2013 and 2014. My advice to management is to convert all remaining software developers to VPs (so there is a 1:0 ratio of VP to engineer) and relocate the company to Turks and Caicos since at that point everyone will be eligible for Presidents Club.

2. Heading in the right direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Rovi full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Smart people; narrowed focus on core competence; solid, aligned investments.

Cons

Challenged how to handle intellectual property balanced with product sales.

Advice to Management

Practice and live corporate values.

It's all true

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time

Pros

The paycheck was always deposited on time.

Cons

Everything you read on Glassdoor is true.

Advice to Management

Call it a day and lean the company down to just being an IP based lawsuit company. That's what the Plano office is all about anyway.

Dont waste your time here ..

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

--Free breakfast weekly once --Employee Stock plan --benefits health

Cons

--Layoffs and Reorgs almost every 3-4 months .Employees live under the constant fear of loosing their jobs and that dreaded email or 1-1 meeting with the management . --Company is spending money on adding fancy huddle rooms /meeting rooms /live stations to show off their products when on the other hand people who worked on making those products that are being displayed are laid off due to cost cutting .(there are more meeting rooms than people using them ) --higher ups who dont know 'A' of development are heading bunch of development teams. -- Outsourcing everything --Acquires companies without proper strategy and thinking and fails to integrate .

Advice to Management

Think before you reorg and layoff people , not every one enjoys that fat pay check and have the economic stability as higher ups . give them enough transition time atleast 3-5 months as its not easy for people on work visa to find another job within month .

Has Potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, NJ

I worked at Rovi (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and team gatherings. Free breakfast every Monday. Decent team enviornment.

Cons

Constant lay-offs, and no clear direction from management. No work-life balance. Management has a high turn-over.

7. Fantastic place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA

I have been working at Rovi

Pros

I love working at Rovi! They really care about their employees! They really make us feel acknowledged and appreciated. They are also welcoming to new ideas about the company! There is also a lot of opportunities for advancement!

Cons

none that i can think of!

Advice to Management

keep it up!

Sr QA Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is employee stock purchase plan.

Cons

The managers and directors are not professional.

Advice to Management

Be professional, not personal.

Great coworkers, zero job security

Current Employee - Data
    Current Employee - Data

I have been working at Rovi (More than a year)

Pros

I like my job and what I do there and my coworkers are intelligent, and interesting. It's a very laid-back atmosphere. We get a lot of free food and coffee. We get bonuses twice a year. The benefits, paid holidays and time-off are very good. My salary is better than most retail and restaurant work, but low for the position. Our managers are great!

Cons

In 2014 the CEO made 180 times what my coworkers and I made. The upper management also is grossly overpaid. New layoffs are announced every other month or so. The 1% raises are a joke. Many of my coworkers jobs are being outsourced and it's sad to see them leaving, but it's the only way we can afford to pay for the salaries of Tom Carson and his small army of VP's. It's a depressing environment, you never know who is going to get laid-off next.

Advice to Management

The upper management needs to thin itself out and take some serious pay cuts instead of getting rich at the expense of their workers. The workers are the talent of the company. Stop hiring short-term upper level people. Stop laying people off.

Needs Shskeup

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people; pay was competitive. Lots of talent that wants to contribute. But it needs to be led.

Cons

Too slow to market; money get wasted on repeating the same mistakes because 'new leaders' have preconceptions and make decisions based on poor judgement. Only to reverse their decisions months later. Zero accountability under Burke. Uneven accountability elsewhere. All the while product sales decline due to poor quality or stale value propositions.

Advice to Management

Vote the white proxy card, and bring some accountability and results now. In this era, saying you can't be profitable on any platform for 2 years either means you're making bad decisions or you don't know what you're doing.

Not nearly what they could be

I have been working at Rovi full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, especially for those not used to the IT industry.

Cons

Major corporate strategy changes at least annually. Management is not nearly as good at integrating acquisitions as they think they are, resulting in a piecemeal selling or closing down of functions they decide aren't worth the effort.

Advice to Management

Understand that not everything is a project, and that trying to manage production functions witl project management tools slays cash cows.

RSS Feed </> Embed