Rovi Reviews

Updated September 19, 2014
2.7

Rovi President & CEO Tom Carson
Tom Carson

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance initiatives makes me feel my hard work is being acknowledged (in 16 reviews)

• nice campus; convenient distance from valley; good benefits, nice (but overpriced) cafeteria (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance if you are on the RES team (in 7 reviews)

• Senior Management seems to be set on destroying the company (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Going Nowhere Good Fast

I have been working at Rovi

Pros

Decent benefits, good hours, and for the most part for lower level employees, great coworkers trying to make the best of a terrible situation.

Cons

Everything from the supervisors going up. This is a very top-heavy company where the CEOs are constantly changing their strategy with little to no regard for the employees and how they are keeping up with the work. The pay is ridiculously low, and the stress and aggravation from supervisors and managers who go out of their way to create a hostile work environment do not make it worth staying for any length of time. There is very limited career growth opportunity. Despite claims that they are working on the culture, morale and trust is at an all-time low. Bully and threatening behavior is a norm.

Focus your strategy and actually pay attention to all the lower level employees you currently ignore. Stop rewarding bad behavior on the part of supervisors all in the name of results for the current quarter and you might actually retain some of the amazing talent you have left.

Ups and Downs

I worked at Rovi full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great work/life balance (at least for my team), decent compensation, nice atmosphere with some really great co-workers,

Cons

Making the clients happy is, of course, the focus, but there has to be limits. They don't really believe in their "lower" employees, and typically hire outside for leadership positions.

Believe in your people and give them a chance. Many of them will surprise you with what they can do.

Awful Company with even worse culture

I worked at Rovi full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay and benefits, especially if upper management.

Cons

Rovi is a top-heavy, rudderless company that you should be thankful never to have heard of before. Its products are rarely purchased or licensed, so it relies heavily on licensing patents of dubious validity. Led by over-bearing finance and legal departments, the company completely lacks all business sense. Worst company I've ever worked for.

Wake up the Board of Directors, because they are most obviously asleep at the wheel.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Antiquated and no longer useful or relevant to modern life.

Current Employee - Director Level
    Current Employee - Director Level

I have been working at Rovi full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is OK and the benefits are good. There is a very small group of individuals working in a handful of departments who know what they're doing and have a forward thinking vision.

Cons

There is zero culture. Rovi has acquired a number of companies over the years and there never seems to be any "ok, you aren't xyz company anymore, you're Rovi" going on. There are even a few acquisitions who still refer to themselves and think of themselves as their old company. Trust in the organization is at an all-time low and there is zero connection or meaning to the core values. The Doers are getting stepped on by the out of touch executives who are only concerned about their next payday. Bureaucracy is STRONG here and everything seems to be more political than strategical. In fighting between groups is high and counter-intuitive to the innovative process.

How a company can go all-in in 2012 to improve our core values and team, only to have a majority of areas that were supposed to improve, actually DECREASE DRAMATICALLY, is a testament to everything. Not. Working. The archaic thinking that built our soon to be obsolete guides needs to be removed from this company.

Heard bad things but I didn't find it that bad

I have been working at Rovi full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Reasonable pay, benefits, etc.
    Flexible time off

Cons

No strategy and vision that funnels down to all employees

Seen many changes, not many good

I worked at Rovi full-time

Pros

Pay, varied projects, somewhat autonomous work environment.

Cons

Talent retention people don't communicate with the personnel people.

Have focus, be more brave and willing to take a risk.

So far So Good

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Radnor, PA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Radnor, PA

I have been working at Rovi full-time for less than a year

Pros

Even though its un balanced at times, I feel the workload and projects seem to be organized. It too early for me to reach any conclusion about this company, but I love it so far. Office culture is great. work-life balance is great.

Cons

No transparency between various departments, feels like every department is trying to save themselves. It does not feel like they all are working for a common purpose.

Has to strive to bring transparency between various departments. Take measures to communicate goals and deadline across departments.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Engineering Director  in  Radnor, PA
    Former Employee - Engineering Director in Radnor, PA

I worked at Rovi full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting and challenging work. Employee's are respected by management, and career growth is taken seriously. There is an active entertainment committee that organizes several social events thoughout the year.

Cons

Usual large company issues. Very process oriented, little scope for innovation.

Lots of focus on hitting quarterly targets, need to add focus for more long term goals.

Priorities are distorted

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Radnor, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Radnor, PA

I have been working at Rovi full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good folks trying to do their best in a very cool business space

Cons

Slaves to wall street. Priorities are all tactical to meet quarterly guidance. Employees are not valued and are just another expense to be managed.

Management should show some respect for core values instead of just promoting them to employees. Stop making everything reactive and show some strategic thought. Stop reorganizing and making your employees feel like they could be next on the chopping block at any time.

Lots of freedom

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time for less than a year

Pros

Rovi is a very relaxed environment where people come and go as they please. Dress is completely casual. The pay is fantastic and there are lots of company competitions and challenges with cash and other prizes.

Cons

There have been company-wide layoffs every other month since I've worked here. There doesn't seem to be a lot of upward growth and the only way to get ahead is to leave the company. The product isn't something that I'm personally passionate about.

Worked for Rovi? Contribute to the Community!