Rovi

Updated January 26, 2015
2.5

Rovi President & CEO Tom Carson
Tom Carson

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance initiatives makes me feel my hard work is being acknowledged (in 18 reviews)

• Good benefits, flexible time off and industry standard pay (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is non-existant once you become a leader (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management doesn't take into consideration what anyone actually contributes when laying off (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Principal Software Engineer

I have been working at Rovi as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay. Freedom to be innovative.

Cons

Management is disengaged from reality. Everything is a knee jerk reation as they show no interest in knowing the details of the project.

Really good company to work for!

Current Employee - N/A in Radnor, PA
    Current Employee - N/A in Radnor, PA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employees have good benefits, at least 4 weeks of vacation a year, a modern workplace and bonuses! My team is amazing and my manager is very flexible and understanding. I've been working at Rovi for over 2 years and I love it!

Cons

Some employees do not appreaciate what this company offers and they create a negative environment in the office.

You're on the right track!

Solid company

Former Employee - Content Editor in Radnor, PA
    Former Employee - Content Editor in Radnor, PA

I worked at Rovi part-time (less than an year)

Pros

a company that is trying hard to stay on top of the trends

Cons

a good place to work but there is always room for improvement

none

10 or more organizational changes in 9 months

I have been working at Rovi

Pros

If you are in a stable time (which is utopia in rovi), you can enjoy good work-life balance, decent salary and benefits.

Cons

Too many organizational changes.
    There is a definite lack of :
    Clarity,
    Stable roadmap for product,
    Goal alignment between top tier -> middle tier -> Managers and Engineers
    Employes get affected due to these sudden changes in the product direction, changes in org structure or worst get axed (all due to management failure).

Why do Disc tool and other such reviews if nothing ever changes.

Very bad for software engineers, fires top engineers and some very good tech managers

I have been working at Rovi

Pros

Flexible time, some effort to use top technologies and make improvements to existing software.

Cons

This company is a mess disguised as a self reinvented 'software company'. Top management has very little understanding of software, chases engineers to give their best and then fires top performing engineers in mass after the job is done. There is no clear vision and direction, and top management doesn't know what values the individual contributors bring to its software business. If you are a software engineer stay clear of Rovi. There are tons of opportunities out there, to learn and grow and most importantly, to know that the company you are joining has a good vision for the future and will not throw you in the street at the first whim of a senior manager.

If software is very important for your company's future, fire top management that has no idea how to run a software business. Fire managers that do not code. Improve your hiring processes re software. Hire new top management that are hands on coders and know a thing or two about high quality software and know how to keep and engage their teams.

Good Benefits, but do not let if fool you the company has no class

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Golden, CO

I have been working at Rovi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The discretionary time off was a huge deal for me. The healthcare benefits are really good.

Cons

The upper management of this company is constantly changing. Rovi is a company build up by Acquisitions, and have never had a Software team to successfully build a product under their management direction; hence, anytime the company plans to change direction with a Product your job is in danger.

Even though the company was discussing a direction of having the Engineer team build a new Cloud Platform. It planned all along to acquire a start-up company and lay-off engineers with only a day notices. This company lacks class.

No direction, fires great people on a whim

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work from home, flexible vacation policy, stock benefits can add up, work-life balance is good

Cons

No culture what so ever, execs have limited knowledge of work being done to meet their goals, no product direction or leadership, entire teams can get laid off with no notice and little explanation

Hire a decent product focused exec and get clear on what you want to company to be. Firing talented engineers when products get killed is not good for anybody, it breeds bad blood inside and outside the company. A more effective strategy would be to re-assign good engineers to other products. Your employees are your greatest asset, stop squandering it.

Textbook example of what NOT to do as a company

Current Employee - Creative
    Current Employee - Creative

I have been working at Rovi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a paycheck. Also, since Glassdoor says I must enter at least 5 words for Pros... this sentence exists.

Cons

This company should have it's own reality TV show. It would be the equivalent of following around the corporate version of the disastrous people from Jersey Shore. Companies everywhere would watch weekly as they learn what not to do as an organization. In my 15 year career of working for both large and small companies, this is by far the worst. The "leaders" are completely inept and unable to do the simplest of tasks. I've never worked with more people who should NOT have a job than I have here at Rovi. It's common to hear from those with a higher pay grade than me "Minimum Viable Product" when referring to what we should be producing for our customers. Really. Minimum Viable Product. To me when you have a "leader" talking about building a Minimum Viable Product, they themselves are nothing more than a Minimum Viable Employee. This company needs a complete reorg from the ground up. I can name maybe 10 people who should actually have a job here, and all 10 of them just lost their job. If you're looking to be absolutely miserable while enjoying a paycheck (underpaid across the board btw) then Rovi is the right company for you.

If I wanted to end things, I would climb up your ego and jump down to your IQ level.

Lots of improvements to make..

I have been working at Rovi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, unlimited vacation and freedom to work from home as needed, ask and you shall receive in regards to materials/work necessities, good culture within teams. improved hiring on HR/Communication teams.

Cons

Where to begin? Upper level management has no idea what lower level employees are doing, lack of appreciation for non-managers, plenty of high level execs/VPs/SVPs, but little knowledge of what happens below them, no REAL leadership coming from any specific direction, ZERO culture company-wide, constant re-orgs

Get to know what your employees actually work on, and appreciate all the work they put into YOU looking good.

Great Work-Life Balance (Golden Office Only)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden, CO

I have been working at Rovi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Low to mid-level management are great and always willing to work with you to ensure you have resources to work with as well as ensuring team cohesiveness. Working from home is always an option, great vacation and sick time, yearly bonuses and a fun office environment that borders on friends and family than simply co-workers.

Cons

The best office in the entire company exists in Golden, Colorado which is what this review is based on. There the on-site management really seems to care about their employees. Unfortunately, this attitude is not shared by anyone above the director level.

Specifically to executive management: employees are not expendable. The work we do enables the company to be successful. When you treat your employees with disregard, it brings morale down. Happy workers are more likely to really work hard to achieve all road mapped goals the company seeks to meet.