Rovi Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Benefits of a large company with feel of a smaller company.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rovi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Rovi is a large company with offices around the US, this review is for the Boston area office. I really enjoy working here, it has the feel of a medium size company with the benefits of a large company. The work schedule is flexible which is great for commuters to avoid the traffic. The work is interesting, very little mundane work since there is always something new to work on. The managers are great, easy to talk to if you have issues.

Cons

Boston traffic is stupid.

A five star review, wow! (do you know how to read?)

I have been working at Rovi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lower management and individual contributors are highly motivated, sociable, and will consistently go above and beyond to deliver, not for the senior management lip service but because they recognize the team effort and camaraderie. It was a great place to work until about 2012 when many of the senior leaders who knew a thing or two about motivation evaporated. There once was a sense of camaraderie, of pride when talking about what you did for a living, but those days are done.

Cons

My fellow reviewer has waxed poetic in "Rovi: A Kafka-esque firm led by inept, feckless executive team that makes Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" look like sanity" and another has covered many salient points in the "Rearranging the Deck Chairs on the Titanic". The astute observer will note it was called "Titanic" and not the RMS Queen Mary, which went on to some level of greatness. There is a staggering number of resets and absolutely no courage on the part of management to make bets and take a leadership position in a market where it was once a pioneer. It can be argued that the Patent Portfolio has somewhat poisoned the well, but this company has time and again committed itself to being a product company without letting product owners actually vet visions and finish conducting its business. The latest round of seemingly socially-awkward leaders really do take the cake in running the business based on numbers and endless broad market research while actually minimizing customer interactions. Hey, guess who pays the bills? Check and balance are absent, and there is no demonstrable effort to actually learn this history - good or bad - and how we got to this point. There is no visible effort to interact with employee or have a decent hallway conversation. Any manner of professional courtesy is also out the window. Did I miss the memo that we hired Hal? The fact that I rated it 5 stars is actually a test. If you're the kind of person that looks at the top line without reading the details, you definitely deserve a shot at Rovi. It may just be the place for you. This place gets a 1 star rating, and I could put my Yelp hat on, I'd be whining about the absence of a ZERO star rating.

Advice to Management

Stop listening to consultants whose jobs are to extract more revenue by horse whispering. Stop focusing on fixing perceptions or artificially creating. Stop hinting at members of the change coalition to post positive reviews on Glassdoor. Have a shred of dignity. Make it a fun place to work, and make people WANT to come into the office by making it a socially interactive place. But, that isn't going to happen with the current crew. You know what though, I don't disapprove of Tom. He's been put in a tough spot but I respect his ability to engage. He just needs to have less clowns around him.

They were ok

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits , clear path to advancement

Cons

too political slow to adopt change no real vision

Advice to Management

use some of that patent troll money to build great tools instead of awful ones

Terrible company that won't last much longer.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, PA

I have been working at Rovi

Pros

Not much in the way of pros, aside from a good amount of vacation time and flexible hours.

Cons

This company has no idea what it does. Though, in every meeting we're told "This company does so much already, and we're looking to do more going forward!". Our current business model relies on suing other companies over outdated patents, then losing those lawsuits, then paying the legal costs with massive layoffs. Aside from that, Rovi, desperately wanting to be the next Google, tries to make deals with successful companies, and buying up smaller companies. while bringing nothing to the table. Much like a C student in high school, hoping to get partnered up with A students in a group project, so they won't have to do any work.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Stop wasting time and money creating countless slogans ("One Rovi" "I am Rovi, and I am Proud" etc...) and actually give your customers quality products, and your employees the resources to make those products. Also, stop making fake positive Glassdoor reviews. There's not one satisfied person here. And no one here is under the impression that Rovi will exist two years from now. Not if the company continues to act like a band that's come up with 50 ideas for album covers and titles, without ever having written a song.

Professional purgatory

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Radnor, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Radnor, PA

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good compensation, flexible hours, ability to work from home, and extremely liberal vacation policy. Some great people and interesting/fun industry (if you can ignore the terrible business decisions). If all that concerns you is pay and schedule flexibility this might not be a bad place to work. If you want career advancement, fulfillment, or to work for a stable company that produces something you can be proud of don't waste your time here.

Cons

No growth potential or training opportunities-- you will not gain anything in your career by working here. People managers with no people skills-- you have no advocate. Appalling business decisions made by upper management-- leaders are more concerned with pushing out products to meet artificial or ridiculous customer deadlines than making a quality product (or even just a viable, sustainable product). Outsourcing, outsourcing, outsourcing-- no core team exists to develop or maintain the business, most skilled team members have been outsourced or have jumped ship.

Advice to Management

Sorry to say it but I doubt there is anything you can do at this point to get back on track; I suppose your only hope is to be acquired before your revenue stream completely peters out as your business model is unstustainable due to years of cut corners. Your business is built on the backs of the people you outsourced and the bubblegum and tape holding your systems together will only last so long.

Relaxed working environment

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Burbank, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed working environment with little pressure. Excellent compensation and focus on compensating employees with innovation (patent applications).

Cons

Company focused on next generation software that did not pan out, leaving current products lightly supported for years. Now playing catch up with their product line.

Advice to Management

I saw a lot a emails on company culture but little in the way of management supporting that culture. Start "walking the walk" if you want employee buy in.

Great company to work for... If you can handle reorganization.

Former Employee - Applications Support Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Applications Support Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Smart and friendly people.

Cons

Constant reorganization, occasionally internal politics gets in the way of getting things done.

Advice to Management

Communicate more to your employees.

No appreciation or loyalty

Former Employee - Data Operations Department in Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Data Operations Department in Wayne, PA

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- There was free food frequently, and always free hot beverages - You could work with headphones on most of the time - Nice coworkers - Very flexible hours and casual work environment

Cons

No matter what you do, you will never be valued or appreciated by the executives. After 12 years with the company and establishing myself as one of the best in my department, I was laid off, along with most of the rest of the crucial operational data department as jobs were outsourced to India. All possible pros to the job (it was a decent job to have, though not mentally stimulating and very low pay) are negated when the execs blow through and wipe out your entire department to save a few bucks.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. You obviously have no idea what your entire operational department does, if you continue to think that computers or outsourcing companies or, let's face it, trained chickens could keep the data afloat. In the first 3 months of the outsourcing it is already failing horribly, as those of us who do the jobs knew would happen. I feel terrible for our customers -- you know, the ones we spent years cultivating awesome relationships with, and then dumped to someone with a 10 hour time difference and a customer service hotline number. Oh and by the way, having zero "culture" in the company cannot be solved by giving us 4 words and telling us those are now our culture. The culture is hard work for low pay and no appreciation.

10. Interesting Work, Good Colleagues

Current Employee - Program Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Rovi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great colleagues. Work is in entertainment-related fields. Many opportunities to patent; intellectual property is part of Rovi's core business model. New ideas are valued, even if seldom acted on. Business environment is constantly changing, keeps things interesting. Good salary and benefits.

Cons

Company has become top-heavy with upper management. History of trouble getting products to market. Mixed track record with acquisitions.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide greater transparency to the worker bees. Commit to a long-term strategy, don't change course so often. Become thought leaders in the industry.

11. Data Analytics team rocks!!!!!!

Former Employee - Server Side Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Server Side Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Rovi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had a wonderful time working for the Data Analytics team in Cambridge, MA. Awesome people around. Everyone is understanding and friendly. Awesome products. Healthy work-life balance. Good atmosphere. A very fresh team comprised of talented developers, quality engineers and data scientists. Perfect place for freshers and mid-level senior engineers. Great opportunities to learn and innovate and a chance to work on the latest big data technologies. Also, they are moving to even a bigger space in Boston area in Q1 2015, which is nice too. About company benefits: Good compensation. Good bonus plan. Awesome Employee Stock Purchase plan with 24 months look back. 401k right from the join date.

Cons

No Cons. Really!!!!! For few personal reasons, I had to make a hard decision to move out from Massachusetts, but otherwise, I really enjoyed working for the Data Analytics group.

Advice to Management

Just continue encouraging the Data Analytics team.

RSS Feed </> Embed