Rovi Reviews

Updated September 25, 2014
2.7

Rovi President & CEO Tom Carson
Tom Carson

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance initiatives makes me feel my hard work is being acknowledged (in 16 reviews)

• nice campus; convenient distance from valley; good benefits, nice (but overpriced) cafeteria (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little work-life balance but lots of stress (in 8 reviews)

• Upper management constantly telling employees to leave (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great First 60 Days

I have been working at Rovi

Pros

These first two months at Rovi have far surpassed my hopes for the next phase of my career: great people, great culture and great work/life balance. Rovi has competitive pay/benefits, and the company is committed to its strategy. I'm especially impressed by its focus on innovation and the fact that every employee plays a part. So far, Rovi is definitely a great place to work.

Cons

More than 25 offices globally can make it hard to connect with coworkers and the culture in general.

The culture and managment are plagued with problems...

Current Employee - Senior Director  in  Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are smart and hard working and want to do a good job.

Cons

Bullying, mean spirited managment style, hostile, terrible company for woman...

Grow up and take control of this company and get rid of the bullies. Some of the employees spend all their time getting in the way of progress of others. Get rid of them and this company will prosper. Don't be fooled by those who pretend....ask the employees what they think of their company and co-workers and keep asking until things change. Work on retaining more women and treating them equally...

Run, don't walk away.

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Rovi full-time for less than a year

Pros

Corporate aware of poor morale and are making attempts to address. They pay well, which is required to distract candidates from their growing poor reputation.

Cons

Company run from top down, Power consolidated to mean spirited individuals. Only their way or the highway, so leave your creativity at the door. Hostile environment, terrible company.

Product development strategy is long overdue. Patent suits for old technology will only prolonged your trip to the dung heap of corporate failures.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay away...far away

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Rovi full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free breakfast, good benefits, decent pay (although none of it is worth it), that's really about it. Teaches you what to look out for and avoid in a future position.

Cons

Basically everything about the company. They are a patent troll, nothing more. They sit on old patents they own, and sue companies that actually innovate. Strategy and direction shift constantly. No one knows what the C level execs are talking about most of the time, disconnect. No one smiles, everyone seems to hate the place. Very impersonal. Cubicle farm environment, the higher in management you are, the bigger your cubicle, it's floor plan feudalism. Management is either unappreciative of work, or very fake. Secrecy and fraternization abounds throughout. No job security, if you aren't a brown noser, then expect your job to disappear at any time for no reason. You can be let go at the drop of a hat and replaced by a contractor by management that cares about nothing other than the bottom line. I saw people with 10+ years employment just thrown out the door. I never thought a company could be so bad, now I know what to avoid in the future. I for a fact know that they have reporting software that runs reports that spy on employees as well.

It wouldn't matter...the CEO doesn't even care what your name is or who you are..hopefully the patent troll legislation passes soon, I'll love to watch this sinking ship go down.

Great place to work until they changed the name

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good Benefits and perks. Nice to have open work hours.

Cons

Senior Management seems to be set on destroying the company

Great people, great environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun perks (lunches, breakfasts, game room), flexible time off, great campus, exceptional benefits

Cons

Low-ish pay (but not universally)

Keep it up!

Excellent To work

Current Employee - QA Engineer  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Rovi as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great workmanship and the use of recent technology that adds up to your skills.Decent pay rate

Cons

Less probable to get full time. Issues in progress of the project as a whole. Not providing importance to QA as needed

Two steps forward, three steps backwards.

Former Employee - Manager, Marketing Services  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Manager, Marketing Services in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits package, 401k, ESPP and medical reimbursement.

Cons

Rovi acquired a number of companies in 2011 and then proceeded to sell them off, one-by-one over the next two years. They lost focus in their core business and their stock price and employees suffered.

Invest in developing your core products and stop acquiring companies that do not fit your IP business model.

Zero culture, poor and shifting strategy, senior management MIA

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is good flexibility, a good work/life balance, respectable compensation and generally good and talented colleagues. Many employees have been there for a long time (although some key people were quizzically laid off).

Cons

There is no culture, no support (HR, IT, etc) and nothing that is distinct about the company and brand. The CEO hasn't got a clue about the organization and the company strategy shifts with the wind.

Get back in the game, reward good work and not cronies.

Stay away

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Radnor, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Radnor, PA

I have been working at Rovi full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very good bunch of individual contributors. One of the best I have worked with.

Cons

Everyone is stacked to fail. The Senior Management steers the ship, and the ship will not go much far if it is not steered properly.
    Every other day the priorities change.
    If you are a VPs, brother, neighbor, acquaintance, you are untouchable. Rest everyone is fair game. Nepotism at its best. Oh and you may get paid more just because of that.

Worked for Rovi? Contribute to the Community!