Rovi Reviews in Santa Clara, CA

Updated July 11, 2014

2.8

Rovi President & CEO Tom Carson
Tom Carson

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance initiatives makes me feel my hard work is being acknowledged (in 16 reviews)

• nice campus; convenient distance from valley; good benefits, nice (but overpriced) cafeteria (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance if you are on the RES team (in 7 reviews)

• Senior Management seems to be set on destroying the company (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A healthy work environment

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Rovi's Santa Clara office is a healthy work environment. Competitive salary & benefit packages, flexible work schedules, and typically kind co-workers.

Cons

The company has recently been described as a patent troll in the press, and although they are not the worst offender out there, Rovi has earned that reputation. (This may be considered a "Pro" if you are a Patent Attorney looking for steady work.)

Great place to work until they changed the name

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good Benefits and perks. Nice to have open work hours.

Cons

Senior Management seems to be set on destroying the company

Less Stressful fun workplace

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice people to work with
    Big building, nice cubes
    Least amount of politics that I came across

Cons

Management have no clue what's going on
    More managers than engineers

When you're laying off people, at least take the time to figure out who are actually laying off.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Think twice or look else where

I have been working at Rovi full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The employee base is mixed with old and new employees from acquisitions. The Pro's are the non managerial employees who work hard and long for the immediate Managers or Supervisors. Benefits are great and salaries tends to on the higher end.

Cons

Executive Management are lost after changes to CEO and CFO. Most of management brought in by the previous management has been terminated or has quite sadly. Be prepared to work long hours and no real feed back on your hard work. Many employee just count their blessing that they have a job for another day.

Be honest and up front with your lower management teams and your employees. Not upsetting the new management by pointing on what's really wrong with the company and living in fear for doing so, is no way to run a business. The previous management team ran a successful business way before you were acquired. Though you can't bring them back, you could learn from the road map and decisions they made that effected the work place, and the stock prices.

Improving Company, Great Benefits/Compensation, decent culture

Current Employee - Accountant  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company seems to be trying hard to steady the ship over the past year. It seems like the company is heading in the right direction. The company has great benefits (i.e., health, compensation package) and tries hard to put money into improving employee morale. I feel like I am growing and developing but that might be just because of the manager I am working for. Also, the flexibility at the company is fantastic. You need to get the work done, but there is also a good understanding within the whole team regarding flexibility.

Cons

The biggest con is probably politics. It seems like it is improving, though.

Business in transition but headed in the right direction

I have been working at Rovi full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smart people, premium on innovation and collaboration, strong leadership team that is aligned on future challenges and opportunities. Broad and deep intellectual property portfolio. Well positioned to take advantage of industry disruption as video moves from broadcast to IP networks.

Cons

Since the company has grown through acquisition the workforce is very distributed and there are no real "centers of excellence". The patent portfolio is a double edged sword,as it is difficult to sell products and services to many of the companies that feel compelled to license intellectual property.

Find the next big idea and move aggressively. The industry is moving at a much faster pace than Rovi. Look for ways to expand the customer base. Traditional customers may not be the market of the future. Time to pivot forward.

This is a decent place w. great people and products but room for improvement

I have been working at Rovi full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Rovi has smart, dedicated people, who care.
    Rovi makes great products that people use everyday.
    Highly capable Engineering team(s)
    Excellent benefits and overall compensation package
    You get what you put into this place
    Great food
    Flex time

I'm writing this review because I can't stand seeing our company trashed on this site. Management is willing to listen and address structural/organization issues.We've grown extensively through acquisition so it's understandable that we have had challenges integrating these disparate products and yes there are some unhappy people as in ANY organization. It's hard to change and yes management has had to make difficult decisions... after all it is a business. I think anyone who has worked anywhere is mature enough to know this.
    I for one have encountered nothing but great people who take pride in the work that they do whether its in operations, administration, legal, finance, engineering, sales. etc.
     If I were laid off tomorrow I would feel the same way. This is my opinion and I think that the majority of the people that have worked and or still work here agree with me.

Cons

Office space can be improved
    Sometimes teams can get into work silo's
    Distributed nature of the organization can make it difficult to navigate and or confusing
    Have seen a lot of changes over the past year and good people and friends leave
    Hard to see friends go.
    Need to get different teams to work together as one

Be a bit more personable. I know it can be hard to come out of your executive bubble but sometimes personal acknowledgement (nod, smile, wave, or greeting) in the hallway can go a long way. Bonus points if you remember their names. They know yours.
    You can't blame one person for everything. Everyone needs to work together and be in synch in order for us to build and ship great products. Speak with one voice, one message, and just communicate.

Terrible, poor, demoralizing and mind numbing

Current Employee - Data Processing  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Data Processing in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Rovi full-time

Pros

Pays the bills, even if it is only just

Cons

Pay is ridiculously low for the area I live in. Non-skilled workers in the same area get paid more. If you bring up the issue of pay they roll their eyes. Yeah we get annual bonuses but it reflects directly on company performance and yet Tom Carson gets millions in bonuses no matter the company’s performance. They claim that a portion of it is on personal performance but this year they gave everybody the same no matter how much or little you do. Career progression is non-existent. You will learn no new skills. I learnt everything I needed to and could learn from this job in two weeks. Management is just all sorts of wrong. Working hard and doing more work than others gets you nowhere. You may as well sit back and do the bare minimum for all the good your extra effort does. The company goes on about how it is focused on customers and yet it has sued everybody. They try and shove ‘innovation’ down our throats and to try and get us to come up with the next million dollar idea but if we do, we get a gift card and a pat on the back while they patent it and makes millions off it. We are not allowed to own ANY patents of our own while working here so they make sure that we can make no headway elsewhere in our lives while stuck at the Rovi prison. And I know you are reading this and thinking ‘Just leave if it is that bad’…I am trying. As I stated earlier, we have no opportunities to learn new skills and I don’t get paid enough to enter any external courses so I have no new skills and have been outdated. Put simply, Rovi is just wrong in every sense of the word and eventually when I hear back from the plethora of job applications I have sent out, I will be out of the door quicker than you can say the Rovi motto, ‘but how will that effect dividends?’.

Sort it out...just sort it out. We need an overhaul.

The culture that was built left with the previous CEO.

I have been working at Rovi full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This WAS a great place to work. The previous CEO, Fred Amoroso, was a leader. He had excellent vision, and everyone on here who says it's golden years were a couple years ago, were talking about the Fred era. He truly inspired, and cared about his staff. The pay and benefits are great here, if you haven't been laid off.

Cons

No leadership after directors and various other managers have left. Teams go months with no direct managers or directors. How can you effectively lead with no one to lead? Country wide lay-offs are not done yet. No direction in a place that does not know where it's going.

Don't try to push a culture that someone else built. Invent a new culture, and new beliefs that you can call your own. Then we will believe that you mean it. Actions speak louder than buzzwords.

A Falling Star

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Rovi full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Use to have a lot of nice and smart engineers but now just a few left. It was an excellent company once..

Cons

CEO and management team are still making big bucks through incentives even if the company is facing difficult time.

Need to recruit a new CEO just like HP, Yahoo, etc...

Worked for Rovi? Contribute to the Community!