Rowan Companies

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rowan Companies President, CEO, and Director Matt Ralls

Matt Ralls

Well-run drilling and rig construction company focused on operational excellence

Floorhand/Roughneck (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Rowan Companies as a contractor for less than a year

ProsDown-to-earth, sensible people working hard to deliver offshore resources. A great team built primarily / historically on merit-based promotions awarded to folks who started at the bottom.

ConsNone, really. They treated me well and provided the opportunity for a self-directed Internship, for which I am very grateful.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecommend focusing more on military veteran recruitment and retention.

Excellent opportunity to get into the Oil industry.

Training Coordinator (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Rowan Companies full-time for less than a year

ProsDecent Salary and decent work hours.

ConsLack of true leadership in several departments. More managers than actual leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementRowan Companies need to train their managers how to be leaders and remove unfit managers from their positions. Prior experience needs should be considered when determining positions within the company.

A company of friendly people, offering great opportunities

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rowan Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsEmployees and management are genuinely nice.
The company culture makes employees feel valued.
Work is varied and stays interesting.
There is a strong sense of ethics and values.
The company is growing rapidly, while some positions must be filled "from the outside" the company is also serious about promoting qualified individuals.

ConsThe salary is not quite as competitive as some of the larger companies that are also HQ'ed in Houston.
Since the company is growing rapidly, some departments are understaffed, and employees are swamped.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hi

Employee (Current Employee)

ProsSymbol of standard - Top Management

ConsUnequal pay based on similar position.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should have extensive training about workplace standards, employment rights and EOE.

Opportunity of a Lifetime

Project Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rowan Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsThis career is setting me off on a course for great success at an early age.
I have been given the ability to travel the world and work with people from all walks of life.
Currently I am working under a great leader who expects a spirit of excellence and is an example to all that surround them.

ConsThere is not always an adequate amount of time between projects and an unsure time that is known to be away from loved ones. Long stints of travel are expected and could be resolved with a backup and scheduled time to travel home.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more time between projects or hire more project employees. Allot adequate time to plan for an upgrade. This is not easy as Operations change day to day but it puts a hardship on the company when work needs to be done with an unclear scope of work expected to be completed in an already short amount of time.

Day to day challanges & opportunities to learn & updates knowledge & skills, including Safety First.

Radio Operator (Current Employee)
`Arab (Saudi Arabia)

I have been working at Rowan Companies full-time for less than a year

ProsSafety of crew with strong coordination among the authority, Good Interpersonal skills, hard working incluing high initiative drive among the top management.

ConsObserved Positive & Good working atmosphere among the Electrical & Engine Department crew.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransportation( Taxi) fair to & fro from Home to Airport should be Reimbursed.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Excellent company to start your career

HSE Compliance Supervisor (Current Employee)
Khobar (Saudi Arabia)

I have been working at Rowan Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe organizational structure allows for good access to management. The company is expanding drastically and the management is vibrant and always looking for improvement.

ConsHR support and setup is lacking in many fronts. Although a company with more than 70 years of operations, Managements systems are quite behind times.

Advice to Senior ManagementStandardize pay structure internationally instead of categorizing region wise.

Good place to work, would go back if another opportunity presented itself.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Rowan Companies

ProsSolid company with good management and leadership overall. Each department had it's strengths and weaknesses, but overall it runs pretty well.

ConsDepending on the team or department you're in, there may not be any room for advancement. Tuition reimbursement is relatively small compared to other companies that offer it. But there are also a lot of companies that don't offer it at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs with most companies, it is always important to truly listen to the people all the way down the corporate ladder and not just to the managers.

Meh... not bad.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Rowan Companies

ProsGreat benefits. Most people are very friendly. Company has plans for growth. CEO is very knowlegeable and professional. Lots of experienced personnel in the company.

ConsTend to be reactive rather than proactive. Need to focus on staffing to meet future demand, rather than just in time staffing.

Worked for Rowan Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rowan Companies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rowan Companies CEO Matt Ralls. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Rowan Companies employees.