Royal Bank of Canada

Royal Bank of Canada Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Royal Bank of Canada President and Chief Executive Officer Gordon M. Nixon

Gordon M. Nixon

Pros
  • Work/life balance- Flexibility in terms of taking time off and family emergency(in 21 reviews)

• Good work environment here -many of the staff are career focused and want to move up(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management can be all over the place sometimes(in 10 reviews)

• Culture terrible, Capital markets management very much old boys club with no consideration for work life balance or listening to their staff(in 5 reviews)

RBC QA

Quality Assuance (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsWorking environment is very friendly, everyone support each other; even as an intern, they treat us like full time employee and trust us to work on the tasks on our own. The opportunity to move to a next position is huge, therefore, i would say RBC is a great place to start their career for those who are thinking of finding a job.

ConsThe building is quite large, therefore, sometimes it's hard to find your way out. Sometimes, the work can be a little bit repetitive.

Simply the best financial services company in Canada

Vice President (Current Employee)

ProsFantastic people working together to me customer needs.

ConsIt is a big place.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not let the current competitive environment change the culture.

A good entry level position

Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsExcellent training program (although I have heard they cut back on this recently)
    A higher range competitive wage & benefits with regards to CSRs/Tellers in the banking industry.
    A young, enjoyable team to work with (depends on area, but usually the workbase when I was there was young, and the culture evolved from there).
    Gives great experience with regards to problem resolution situations and general interaction professionally with the public, generally good support and development from your managers (although YMMV once again).

ConsLittle room to move up; it was difficult to apply for better positions as the competition was fierce, and people didn't tend to leave (Account Managers).
    Wage growth potential wasn't great.
    Seen cuts to benefits programs.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being greedy. Share the wealth of the dividends of a well-run Canadian banking system with your employees! Bring back some more benefits.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pretty good so far

Prosable to have family life

Constoo many drones, everyone goes along and nothing changes. When people are their over 30 years doing the same thing, something ain't right.

Great Benefits, Pay for Performance mentality

Account Manager (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsGreat benefits, good advancement opportunities. For Account Managers you're performance is rated based on your sales, so there's a lot of pressure but I've never had any problems.

ConsThere is a lot of favoritism and a lot of cliques. Managers advance people based on this, and hold other people back.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the managers you're hiring have actually done the job of the people they're managing. So many managers are completely disconnected from their employees.

Good

Customer Services Representative (Current Employee) New Westminster, BC (Canada)

ProsLots if room to move up

ConsNot enough employees to be efficient

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more ppl so the bank can run more efficiently

fun, great environment and management .

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

Proscareer advancement available for internal employees
    great environment and management
    benefits are great as well
    motivations from company and managers
    end of the year bonus

Constime selection for vacation based on seniority
    as well as shift selection based on seniority

Amazing

IT Manager (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsCulture is unbeatable and cannot be rivaled.

ConsNeed to fairly compensate, but it is the economy not RBC

Advice to Senior ManagementKeeP doing what you are doing.

Demanding but fair.

ProsThey have decent pay and a profit sharing program along with benefits and a pension plan. They do care about your career advancement and will work with you to achieve your goals.

ConsThey demand a lot from you as an employee. This job is about sales, a lot like any job at a bank. They strongly recommend you participate in afterwork activities as well as charity programs. If you're looking for a job in an office that starts at 9 and ends at 5 this isn't it, you'll often be called on to solicit new customers and participate in after work events to also attract new clients.

Great company to work for!

Co-Op Student (Current Employee) Brantford, ON (Canada)

Pros- Friday: Snack day and wii tournment.
    - Employees are friendly
    - Great atmosphere
    - Opportunity for a GREAT career advancement

Cons- Cannot work as a teller, due to contract restrictions
    - Not a lot of communcation between unknown staff members

Advice to Senior Management- Pursue your dreams in the financial industry
    - Seek out more work responsibility and opportunities within your co-op placement

Worked for Royal Bank of Canada? Contribute to the Community!