Royal Bank of Canada

Royal Bank of Canada Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Royal Bank of Canada President and Chief Executive Officer Gordon M. Nixon

Gordon M. Nixon

Pros
  • Work/life balance- Flexibility in terms of taking time off and family emergency(in 21 reviews)

• Good work environment here -many of the staff are career focused and want to move up(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management can be all over the place sometimes(in 10 reviews)

• Culture terrible, Capital markets management very much old boys club with no consideration for work life balance or listening to their staff(in 5 reviews)

Grwoing Company with Oportunity

Manager WFM (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe bank is doing extremely well as canadian banks have been insulated from the US real estate market
    The is alot of opportunity for movement within the bank

ConsHours can be long as RBC attempts to compete with the top tier with some ground to make up in systems and initiatives that need to be implemented

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus should be given to those who make real chnage and should be supported by their management team as opposed to making political plays

RBC NY

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosstable financials, significant growth and opportunity if culture can be navigated successfully.

Consno cohesive culture in the US and regions operate in silos, which can be frustrating. ambition and drive not highly valued attributes.

Advice to Senior Managementmore communication with employees - formal and informal.
    develop a core cultural message to deliver for new hires outside of canada.

Canadian Goldman Sachs is irrelevant since there is no competitiion in Canada

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsCompensation was okay but performance metrics always changed. Generally a user friendly work environment.

ConsCanadians in senior US positions rarely understood US market. Promotions were arbitrary and had little to do with performance. Politics got in the way of common sense.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more competetent managers. Have more transparent compensation and promotion policies. Replace Canadians that don't add value in the US.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work.

ProsRBC is a great place to meet life long friends. Teamwork is always there and management has a great open door policy.

ConsI would like management to be more open with the direction of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open with the direction of the company.

Poor Management

IT Project Manager (Former Employee) Rocky Mount, NC

ProsMoney was good/ competitive because they were so close to Raleigh but still in a small city. Decent bonus structure, too.

ConsAbout 80% of USA IT staff were contractors. Very high turnover of regular staff. People constantly moving around because nowhere was good for settling. Management was the reason, poor management all around. Highly political and they expected you to work the same hours as contractors who were getting paid hundreds by the hour.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would recommend that RBC management look closely at where the talent is and work very hard to keep it. Also recognize the need for a work life balance.

Weak management in the US

Sales (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsNot a bad place in the current environment on
    Wall Street

ConsWeak management. Management does not effectively communicate performance measures and changes them to suit the need at bonus. Management does not effectively communicate financial details of the business but focuses on the good news of 1 or 2 good thing- not the entire picture. Feel like management is more interested in protecting their job than anything else. Very political. If you are not part of the club you can expect nothing good.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate honestly and openly. Listen to everyone and not the chosen 2-3.

Strong company with few hiccups is worth working for.

Relationship Banker (Current Employee) Southern Pines, NC

ProsRBC is a very sound financial institution with many different products to offer. This lends itself to also having many job growth opportunities. The people are generally friendly and very helpful. I find that, for the most part, clients leave happy and are starting to spread the word in our area about our service. There is a very strong emphasis on placing the goals of the client as a number one priority. As with all sales roles, there are minimum expectations for mystery shops. Beyond that, there is an open door we can walk through to make each client interaction unique. All-in-all, RBC Bank is poised to be a strong choice when seeking employment.

Conssome miscommunications about expectations, frustrations when researching items that were more easily found when worked with competitor bank

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease advise with a clear, consistent message on what needs to be accomplished and continue to coach openly with employees

Good place to work

Investment Banking Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsBest place I've ever worked. Enjoyed most of the people I worked with. Compensation and benefits were good. Company affords people the opportunity to demonstrate their capabilities, particularly compared to many other investment banks.

ConsBrand recognition is not what it is for other firms or what it could/should be. It is unfortunate, because I've worked at more "name brand" banks where the people were highly incompetent and where the work was poor - at RBC the brand recognition isn't as good, but I felt the people and the work we did was significantly better than at other "name brand" banks.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo significant feedback for senior management.

Great Internship

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) Hamilton, ON (Canada)

ProsFantastic work environment. Lots of opportunity to be exposed to different projects.

ConsCan sometimes get dull, but that depends on whether you're interested in the products/services offered.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Decent company but Management needs a review

Banking Advisor (Current Employee) Mississauga, ON (Canada)

ProsGood working environment, and incentives. Benefits package, pension, profit sharing, the list goes on. Also, there is a lot of employee morale exercises, great training and the bonus is nice around Christmas.

ConsYour whole career at RBC is based on your manager - the better the manager the better the chances of movement.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on avoiding favoritism, and inconsistencies across the board.

Worked for Royal Bank of Canada? Contribute to the Community!