Royal Bank of Canada

Royal Bank of Canada Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Royal Bank of Canada President and Chief Executive Officer Gordon M. Nixon

Gordon M. Nixon

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance- Flexibility in terms of taking time off and family emergency"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Good work environment here -many of the staff are career focused and want to move up"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior Management can be all over the place sometimes"
    in 10 reviews
  • "Very difficult to move up if you do not have any connections"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The people make the difference!

Investment & Retirement Planner (Current Employee)

ProsWhen I began looking for a job in banking, with the ultimate goal of becoming a financial planner, I literally walked into branches of the 5 major banks to pick up brochures, check things out. I came away with the impression that all of the banks are pretty much the same. After working at RBC for 10 years, I can tell you that there is a difference that RBC has, and it's that the overall quality of people working there is just that one level higher than those of other banks. Many times I've met new co-workers that came to us from various competitors and I always ask what the other bank's culture is like, why'd they change, etc....almost without fail the other person, after working at RBC for a while, believes they are in a much better organization that where they came from. I remember speaking to one individual that left RBC to take a promotion at another bank, and he told me that "If you're average at RBC, you're a superstar here." That pretty much says it all!

ConsI find a very low level of engagement amongst probably the single largest employee group, our front-line customer service team (tellers). Turnover is constant which I guess is expected for an entry-level position, but I often wonder is a serious attempt was made to pay top $ to really outstanding people for those roles, if you wouldn't get a more engaged group that would opportunity-spot like crazy and make referrals to partners....they have such a huge opportunity to contribute to the success of our clients that goes far beyond what I perceive is happening now.

Advice to Senior ManagementComputer systems are behind the times compared to what I've heard elsewhere....the ability to track referrals and for our account managers to get credit for them is ridiculous, and while the sales pipeline tool introduced a few years back is good, it doesn't go nearly far enough and unfortunately changing these systems moves ahead at glacial speed.

Positive work environment, flexible, good work-life balance. lots of job opportunities.

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood corporate culture, socially conscious organisation. Lots of opportunities, good work stability and security.
    Experiences from group to group can vary as management varies. It may be a matter of finding the right team to work with.

ConsUnnecessary red-tape at times, some groups can be process-driven with high inefficiencies. Some middle managers are undeserving and over-promoted without appropriate skill-set.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore support required for lower management. Better project management needed.

Boring, non-exciting typical office job.

Compensation Analyst (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsLots of areas to move around in when it comes to financial services.

ConsYou can't get into any decision making roles without more than a Undergrad degree. That's the minimum to get in. There are tellers who have undergrads making $20,000 CAD a year still trying to pay off thier degrees. anyone who is a decision maker has the certification or designation of their field. If you want to be, prepare to go back to school to get your CMA, CFA, CHRP, PMP, MBA etc...

If you have an unsupporting manager which I do, you're screwed.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great employees, difficult to advance without connections

ProsThe management is amazing. They are very approachable and care about your wellbeing. There is also a very flexible schedule that takes into consideration people's needs. Like everything in life, you have to voice your concerns but also try to help yourself. If they see that you are doing that instead of making unreasonable demands, they will meet you half way. The pay, insurances and other benefits are also very good.

ConsVery little opportunity for creativity. Difficult to get promoted outside of the call centre if that is where you started. However, those with contacts, especially family contacts, within upper management seem to have a lot less barriers to climbing the corporate ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementEspecially if you are a manager in the call centre, take into account people's education and strengths. A call centre is an okay place to start, but most people want to expend their horizon and they would do that within your institution - as oppose to going with a competitor - if you gave them the opportunity to.

Account manager

Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood training, brand is recognized worldwide, great resume builder to move on to another company...

ConsManagers aren't competent and resort to micro managing. Pay is way too low for the amount if work required. You have to kiss butt- a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to pay attention to what is happening on the sales floor and please hire more competent branch managers...

RBC experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosflexible place to work. Busy environment to lean

Consroom for advancement not as good

yes ok

IRP Royal Bank (Former Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

Proswell clean company good to have a longterm

Consnot so flexble on shcedule

Advice to Senior Managementgood teamwork and share

Better than average

Customer Services Representative (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood overall compensation package, includes salary, yearly bonus, benefits, profit sharing, pension est. However salary along is below average and you get increases below 2% a year, so make sure if you start working here you start on a good amount.

ConsVery difficult to move up if you do not have any connections. They want you to work in one position all your life for the same money.

Excellent company

IT Manager (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsStrong management, high performing staff.

ConsOlder culture who are entrenched to high positions.

Good company need to step up

Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Nassau (Bahamas)

ProsGood Management, seem to care about employees, opportunities are available in different regions

ConsTechnology is out of date. Tends to be an industry follower as opposed to a leader.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to customers for enhancements to product line. Take some risks.

Worked for Royal Bank of Canada? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Royal Bank of Canada reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Royal Bank of Canada CEO Gordon M. Nixon. All 417 reviews posted anonymously by Royal Bank of Canada employees.